Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240006 times)

Description:

Offline Gryfon

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« Reply #749 from previous page: March 07, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »
Hi all,

Finally got my recapped A1200 back and rebuilt. I’m at the point where I’ve plugged in my Blizzard 1230IV accelerator with SCSI kit and connected to it is an external D2 Electronique CD ROM. Using the Blizzard Unit Control app it appears as:

Board 0 Unit 0 Lun 0 CD-ROM CR-506 8S0404-0 S

I've copied CD0 to DEVS:DOSdrivers and configured it like this:

DEVICE=1230scsi.device
UNIT=0

And I’m able to send an eject signal and have the tray respond and open correctly.

I’m using Workbench 3.1.4 and understand it supports a CD file system but simply putting a CD in the drive nothing appears. So:

Unit ID appears to be correctly set.
SCSI kit appears to be OK.
SCSI cable appears to be OK.

Can anyone advise how I proceed from here?  Have I missed a config step? Do I need to download and install a CD file system, for example?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Gryfon
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:24:11 PM by Gryfon »
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline utri007

« Reply #750 on: March 07, 2020, 02:15:05 PM »
you need to edit CD0 file in SYS:strorage/dos drivers and copy it to sys:devs/dos drivers to be automatically mounted on boot. In CD0 file you need to add device driver, unit number AND cdfilesystem.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

The following users thanked this post: Gryfon

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #751 on: March 07, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
Have a look at the CD0 file with a texteditor. There should be a line like Filesystem = L:CDFileSystem.

Make sure, you have that in Sys:L/.

Also, look in the Tooltype of CD0, if it says
Activate=1, without enclosing brackets ().

Last, see in Workbench preferences, if your CD0 device is marked as hidden.

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #752 on: March 07, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
Aha - CD file system is definitely not in the CD0 properties.
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #753 on: March 07, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
Activate=1 is in the icon properties.

I will check L: when I get home later - should 3.1.4 have it there by default?  If it’s missing can I get it or an alternative say from Aminet?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Gryfon

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #754 on: March 07, 2020, 04:05:01 PM »
You could try AmiCDFS, but imho CDFileSystem is included, even from 3.1 if i recall correctly.

Offline utri007

« Reply #755 on: March 07, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »
Os 3.1.4 has a best possible cd-filesystem. You shouldn't look others.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #756 on: March 07, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »
Tool types are set like this:
ACTIVATE=1
DEVICE=1230scsi.device
UNIT=0

Opening CD0 with Multiview confirms the CDFS line is there:

Filesystem = L:CDFileSystem

Still no joy when inserting a couple of different Amiga CDs though.

I must have missed something...

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #757 on: March 07, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »
Using zero as unit is unusual, try 1 or 2. could be a bug.
Of course you have to change the ID on the drive as well.

What CDs are you trying? Burned or original? Amiga CDs? Audio?

Did you had a look into Workbench preferences?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:53:12 PM by TribbleSmasher »

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #758 on: March 07, 2020, 06:21:15 PM »
WB prefs show CD0 as visible.
There’s an ID selector on the back of the CD ROM and two ports where I can insert a cable.
The ID was set to 0, I’ve set it to 2 and changed the Unit number to 2 in CD0 tooltype.

Switched on Amiga and CD-ROM, still no CD.

I have ImageFX and Easynet CDs to hand and can probably dig out some more. Neither show up.

The upper port is where I have the cable connected for all of my tests so far. The lower port has a sticker against it which says “Terminator on”.  There’s a black switch which can be in either an up or down position, currently is down - I think this is to tell the CD-ROM which port to terminate on, but don’t remember for sure.

Just to test I tried switching everything off, trying the cable in the lower port, then putting the SCSI cable back in the upper port after another switch off, and the Easynet CD appeared.  I was able to open the folder and see the installer. I ejected it and put the ImageFX CD in, but nothing. Swapping the Easynet CD back also nothing. And after a reboot the Easynet CD appeared again.

So success of a sort. I need to test more, but it looks like I’m getting there.

Thank you all so much.

Gryfon

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #759 on: March 07, 2020, 06:23:20 PM »
So you will need a terminator. Or set it to on if thats what it means on your drive.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:24:04 PM by TribbleSmasher »

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #760 on: March 07, 2020, 08:23:21 PM »
After a little testing...
I found the installation guide for the CD-ROM. The sticker was indeed placed to remind you that the lower port is configured via the position of the black switch as the port which is terminated.  No need for a physical terminator.

Some CDs just don’t get recognised- ImageFX is one. Others work - I got Napalm to install and run, Octamed Soundstudio & Wordworth 7 both worked too; Zeewolf 1&2 disc isn’t recognised.  And for lols a couple of Aminet collections from back in the day and some PC cd’s also work.

So successful all in all.  Very happy!

Thank you again for all the advice.

Gryfon

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #761 on: March 07, 2020, 08:55:50 PM »
 :)
Happy drive, happy life!

Blizz1230 with SCSI is awsome, have fun. ;)

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #762 on: March 18, 2020, 02:00:37 AM »
Gryphon, The CD-ROM is  the only device on the SCSI Bus? Usually the Hard Drive might be unit 0, and the CD set to 1 or more.
Termination is also important - I started using SCSI devices in about 1991 - the current day and Termination almost always is an issue. Either a device self terminates and needs no active terminator, or a device has no termination and requires one. Double check.
I think there is a utility that scans the SCSI bus - does it see your CD-ROM?

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #763 on: March 18, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
Hi Doug,

Managed to get it working in the end!  One of the main problems I had was the ImageFX CD I bought from the SWAG 2020 meet in January earlier this year simply isn't detectable in my particular CD-ROM, so once I'd identified that the system could see the CD-ROM over the connection, the CD-ROM device was properly configured in the tool types and the cable was in the correct port I had a false-positive from having a non-detectable CD in the drive.  All my "non-detecting" CD's work fine on my PC under emulation, but I recall old CD-ROMs could be picky back in the day.

More haste less speed was the lesson here - a careful series of tests making only one change at time revealed the problem.  Really I should know better, most of what I do is in an IT support role in my day job.  Just having had my 1200 board back from recapping I was excited to get everything running as quickly as possible so changing 3/4 things every test I was bound to miss something  :).

For anyone else digging up their old Blizzard / SCSI unit and external CD-ROM the steps I took:

a)  Copy CD0 from Storage:Devs to SYS:Devs
b)  Be sure to configure the 1230scsi.device and the correct unit number in the tool types of CD0 to match your setup.
c)  Open CD0 with a text editor (Multiview will do) and check that the CD file system is set.  I'm using 3.1.4 ROMs and Workbench 3.1.4 so the CD file system was already in L: and already configured in CD0, so didn't need to change anything.
c)  Check if you need to plugin / activate / set a terminator on your CD-ROM.  This will depend on the CD-ROM you have and should be covered in it's documentation (if you still have it after all these years!)
d)  Ensure if like me you have 2 connectors on your CD-ROM that you don't use the one the termination is set on  :-[  Right cable in the wrong connector was a particular issue here.

Loving your videos by the way!

Thank you very one for your assistance.

Gryfon

Offline aggro_mix

• Show only replies by aggro_mix
« Reply #764 on: March 19, 2020, 02:11:39 PM »
One of the main problems I had was the ImageFX CD I bought from the SWAG 2020 meet in January earlier this year simply isn't detectable in my particular CD-ROM

I could never get my ImageFX Studio CD working in my Amiga either (bought from Kermit), had to use a PC and transfer from there.