Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternatives to Tabor (from New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor")  (Read 13100 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Alternatives to Tabor (from New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor")
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 18, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »
@thread  

there is tons of good material in the tabor thread at the moment that is somewhat off-topic and deserves a thread of its own. so i'm moving the posts in question here to continue the discussion.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:26:37 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 10:06:48 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;797602
Unless AROS for PPC has binary compatibility with MorphOS and/or OS4 software and seamless 68k binary compatibility too then there isn't much point in it really.

If it did have those things I'd definitely use it on PPC though. Maybe ARIX for PPC will have all those things? Here's hoping! :)

I did consider making PPC ABIs for AROS compatible with MOS and OS4 (e.g. ppcmos and ppcos4) but I don't think this competition of an open source and free OS competing with the paying ones will be welcomed by all in the Amiga community.

I do still plan one day to support all Amiga OSes from the AROS shared library support tools and code and that will bring PPC AROS compatible with OS4 and MOS much closer.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline nicholas

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »
Quote from: Fats;797632
I did consider making PPC ABIs for AROS compatible with MOS and OS4 (e.g. ppcmos and ppcos4) but I don't think this competition of an open source and free OS competing with the paying ones will be welcomed by all in the Amiga community.

I do still plan one day to support all Amiga OSes from the AROS shared library support tools and code and that will bring PPC AROS compatible with OS4 and MOS much closer.

That's what I want to hear right there Staf! Anything we can do to help make it worth your time? :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »
Quote from: Fats;797632

That would be very cool Staf.

BTW - Since you know me (this is Jim Igou), could you offer YOUR opinion?
Do you really think I'm that hostile to other OS' in the community?

After all, Nick and I both are quite blue, but I think we thrive on the competition.
Wouldn't want anything untoward to happen to them.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Fats

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 07:08:47 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;797633
That's what I want to hear right there Staf! Anything we can do to help make it worth your time? :)

I was burned out on the whole Amiga programming thing and with a burn-out the cure is to wait long enough before restarting.
Also I am now in another project that has to be finished before I think about restarting Amiga dev.
I'm always available for public or private discussion on the topic though or for helping somebody who wants to start the work.

Offline Fats

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 07:24:53 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;797648
BTW - Since you know me (this is Jim Igou), could you offer YOUR opinion?
Do you really think I'm that hostile to other OS' in the community?

After all, Nick and I both are quite blue, but I think we thrive on the competition.
Wouldn't want anything untoward to happen to them.

I don't find your comments hostile but they surely are opinionated at times. I guess this is enough in this community to be sometimes seen as hostile to one's own belief.

In general people in this community seem to forget everybody is different. Me for example as a user prefer OS4 over MOS, as an engineer I generally prefer the technical decisions the MOS guys have made over the OS4 guys, as a programmer I prefer AROS as it's open source. Unfortunately such mixed opinion seem to be enough to be hated by some in both the red and the blue camp. In the AROS camp I haven't seen much hate yet, open source guys are most of the times also open minded.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »
Quote from: Fats;797673
I was burned out on the whole Amiga programming thing and with a burn-out the cure is to wait long enough before restarting.Also I am now in another project that has to be finished before I think about restarting Amiga dev.I'm always available for public or private discussion on the topic though or for helping somebody who wants to start the work.

Yes, burn out, I was warned about that be an elderly programmer I knew in from the '60s to early '80s.

He suggested the same thing. Drop it for awhile and come back when it feels fresh again.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
Quote from: Fats;797673
I was burned out on the whole Amiga programming thing and with a burn-out the cure is to wait long enough before restarting.
Also I am now in another project that has to be finished before I think about restarting Amiga dev.
I'm always available for public or private discussion on the topic though or for helping somebody who wants to start the work.

Definitely not a good idea to do something that'll make you feel worse when you are already feeling burned out.

Take all the time you need, we are thin on great developers in this community as it is and as my late Gran was fond of saying "A change is as good as a rest". :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2015, 08:22:31 PM »
Quote from: Fats;797674
I don't find your comments hostile but they surely are opinionated at times. I guess this is enough in this community to be sometimes seen as hostile to one's own belief.

In general people in this community seem to forget everybody is different. Me for example as a user prefer OS4 over MOS, as an engineer I generally prefer the technical decisions the MOS guys have made over the OS4 guys, as a programmer I prefer AROS as it's open source. Unfortunately such mixed opinion seem to be enough to be hated by some in both the red and the blue camp. In the AROS camp I haven't seen much hate yet, open source guys are most of the times also open minded.

I like OS4 for playing about with, MorphOS for getting stuff done and out of admiration of their technical prowess and AROS for getting my geek on and also just playing about with.

Though OS3.x is still my true love. :)

Having a similar mixed opinion as yours has only ever made me be on the receiving end of hate from one section of the community though. Plus I'm extremely blunt at times which doesn't always go down too well with a lot of folks lol

I'd love something similar to ARIX but with full OS4/MOS/68K seamless compatibility to eventually emerge.