Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What should I include in Aros Vision Light/Classic?  (Read 1205 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

What should I include in Aros Vision Light/Classic?
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
I am just working on the next version of "Aros Vision" that will propably be uploaded end of november. It will include full versions of SoundFX and Real3D and some other additions.

Really new will be a additional "Light" Version that is dedicated to slower hardware (like classic/mobile devices or when people do not want to download the full archive). It will include the same base components like printer driver, libraries, MUI Classes ... and should be compatible from the view of a developer.

I plan to integrate:
Aweb
Scalos to replace Wanderer (still testing and working on the prefs)

What else from the distribution should I include:
http://www.natami-news.de/html/aros_vision.html

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: What should I include in Aros Vision Light/Classic?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:10 AM »
My thinking would be to have a distribution that is as close to Amiga Workbench as possible for the very lowest spec machines :)

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:50:40 AM »
I will orientate on 3.1. and leave out most of the applications, games, demos and so on. What I want to keep are the base parts like libraries so that a application or game that runs on f.e. the big version also runs on the light version.

If possible I want to use Scalos to replace Wanderer that is still not enough optimized for slow hardware, what will certainly change in future.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:14:58 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;713016
I will orientate on 3.1. and leave out most of the applications, games, demos and so on. What I want to keep are the base parts like libraries so that a application or game that runs on f.e. the big version also runs on the light version.

If possible I want to use Scalos to replace Wanderer that is still not enough optimized for slow hardware, what will certainly change in future.
My thinking was that a super light version of AROS would be good to wean Amiga classic users off the old AmigaOS and into AROS.

Have you considered Jason's Workbook as a desktop?

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »
No, I think Workbook is very light. But I can try it out.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »
I think Workbook is one disk (ADF) so space would be very rare with this option. But that could be a third (very limited) option. I will test it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
i think workbook is very nice but still needs some love. someones experienced with 68k c/asm gotta step up and handle that to relieve jason for more essential kernel/system tasks.
but i agrre that it might be the way to go and should gain some attention.