Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS versus MorphOS  (Read 6343 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: AROS versus MorphOS
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:40:48 AM »
I haven't used AROS lately, but I'll still comment on some MorphOS questions ;)

Quote from: gdanko;563192

1) Stability. I have had MorphOS 2.4 lose the keyboard on a G4 Mac Mini. I'd have to unplug and replug. Both systems have had odd freezes. Any other stability issues on either side?

I haven't had those kind of keyboard problems on my minis. Maybe another kb would work better?

System freezes are things you can't avoid completely on Amiga comptible system without breaking the compatibility :). But MorphOS itself is the most stable Amiga compatible OS I've ever used. You just have to use good programs which don't mess things up. I don't have any crashes on my normal daily usage with my Mac mini.

2) Amiga emulation. I've been told you can launch a classic Amiga app on MorphOS as long as it doesn't bang the custom chipsets. Can AROS do this? How does MOS do it? For games that do bang the hardware, is UAE required?

MorphOS has integrated 68k emulator (Trance), which works "transparently". You don't see any difference if you run MorphOS or AmigaOS native program, they just start up and open their own windows/screens just like on real thing... so you may forget if you're running native or emulated programs :). AFAIK AROS doesn't have similar emulator integration yet. WOS and PUP PPC programs also work under MorphOS.

And yes, UAE is required for HW banging games etc. You can config Ambient to start adf:s with double click on UAE. Or config RMB context menu to have options to start adf in UAE with different configs.. if you happen to need OCS, AGA, memory etc setups for compatibility.

BTW. have you read MorphOS 2 Review? There might be some info or tips to notice still...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.