Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did anyone try OS X Lion on a MBA?  (Read 7447 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: Did anyone try OS X Lion on a MBA?
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
Quote from: Sparky;651456
Sorry Piru but with that you just came over as a bit of a ***!

Would it have been so hard to actually answer the question without insulting the asker ?

There are 3 options here... :)

1) It's a genuine answer for people too lazy to goggle it...
2) It's Piru's Andriod sense of humour finally showing...
or
3) Yes Piru is a ***...

Take yer pick... :)

PS: Macs and whomever came up with the method for installing OSX must have been either someone with a hell of a lot of time on their hands or a right B@$&@%d, never seen such a ruddy load of cobblers in me life at least 8 ruddy hours just to install OSX 10.5, ruddy a-holes... :(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:26:55 PM by J-Golden »

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;651460
That sounds like it could be a hardware fault Frank. It shouldn't take more than half an hour to install.

@ Nicholas

When I replaced the HD in my G5 a few months back it took nearly 50 minutes to just install 10.5.2 from the DVD then just over 7 hours of downloading and installing all the updates just to get to 10.5.8 (the max this old iMac G5 can use)... :(

(and all that just to use the ruddy internet...) :cry:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;651464
Why did you change your HD? You said you never use it except for the internet. The truth is you really do like using your mac. It wasn't broken... you UPGRADED!  :roflmao:

Cos the old one (which was less than 8 months old) being a SATA HD and the way that poxy Macs work was reporting "fatal errors" due to that silly built in self testing crap they put in SATA HDs... :(

OSX stopped letting me use it because it checks for these errors and if it find them the disk becomes unusable, so I had to replace it... :(

But it works fine on my Amiga's cos they don't bother with that silly built in self testing crap that I've since discovered can often be wrong but of course on Mac OSX if these errors reach the critical/fatal stage, then whether their is actually anything wrong with the disk or not the OS doesn't let you use it... bloody load of nonsense if you ask me... :(

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;651510
Say whatever you like I'll rather take false positives sometimes rather than data loss.

I'd rather not, when you consider that there was nothing wrong with the drive in the first place... ;)

After removing it from the MAC and not because of "just in case" it was because the MAC and it's poxy OS would not allow anything to be written to the disk any more because of these so called "S.M.A.R.T." errors. I tested it in a media box player and it worked fine and then I tested it on an Amiga (filled all 500GBs) and it worked fine & still does...

Point is after doing much reading about this so called "SMART" technology, it seems it's not very smart at all and prone to giving false errors thus forcing the user to buy a new drive and having to reinstall a whole ruddy system and data... :madashell:

I've even read that it's a marketing ploy by the manufactures just make sure we keep buying new HDs... :furious:

There are also programs the manufactures have to reset/ flash the chips on the HD to reset all the "SMART" parameters but they wont allow the public to have them because they say people would use the program to reset faulty HDs and resell them.... :(

Call me cynical but it's more like they wont release these programs so that the user is conned into purchasing a new HD instead of running a quick program that would save what is otherwise a perfectly working HD (not to mention all your data)... :madashell:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:26:38 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;651566
*Amiga* dot org right?
Its funny I dont seem to recall OSX being amiga related.

I used to moan about that too but have come to realise you cant have it all your own way (as much as I try)... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;651572
More often than not I'll leave these sorts of things alone as there's a tenuous link between amiga and Macs/pcs/etc sometimes, but occassionally, like this thread and iPad threads I just dont get why it's here. In no way, shape or form related, its just flat-out OSX talk.
Any good Apple forums I can go and ask amiga questions please someone ?

While I can see why some folk like to ask questions here to fellow Amiga users about other systems they own or use, I agree that it really has no place here on an "Amiga" site when it's not even slightly Amiga related... :)

I basically noticed a rather smart arse comment made by Piru and decided to comment on that then I somehow got onto the subject of HDs (which are Amiga related) and ended up babbling about that... :)

But when all's said and done whether you and I don't agree to such threads being here, at the end of day we're still free to comment on it and make our feelings known on the matter, so it kinda balances itself out in the end I suppose... :)