Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Natami MX boards produced  (Read 25739 times)

Description:

Offline trekiej

Re: First Natami MX boards produced
« Reply #74 from previous page: February 15, 2011, 01:46:01 AM »
Congratulations Natami Team.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2011, 02:01:42 AM »
Quote from: Khephren;615539
Bloody hell, I never thought i'd see the day!!

Now, about this is 050, what is it? I must have missed it, I know they were going for an 070, but I though machines released before that would have a real 060?

Who is your 050 and what does he do?

Plans have changed.  The '070 was going to be faster than an '060 per clock in every way and superscalar.  Trying to build one that is not superscalar is plenty challenging enough.  The N68050 is the precursor to the N68070.  It should be about as fast as an '060 per clock but uses other techniques to achieve that.

The primary feature of the N68050 is that it can decode a pair of opcodes and figure out if they can be combined into one opcode.  Some combinations are pairs that result in a 3 operand opcode such as a register move followed by an add to the same destination register, a forward branch over a single operation converts to a predicated operation, and so on.  This feature is called opcode fusion.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2011, 02:47:34 AM »
It could easily fit inside one of these:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2011, 03:08:38 AM »
Quote from: DCAmiga;615260
The A1000 (original Amiga) retailed for 1,295 USD in September 1985 ;) this Natami MX board is a 6 layered FPGA so yeah will be probably more then 300 pounds. If its under $1000 US I wouldnt have a prob buying one; 68k @ 133mhz, SuperAGA (100 times faster), chunky and bob modes, native amiga 3D core - tami (drool), double scanner built in, 512 MB of DDR2, onboard LAN (Gbit) and USB 2, plus much more. :rtfm:

Great NEWS and keep up the good work Natami, I hope the beta testing dont take too long and we can finally see some benchmarks :D

Hi,

@DCAmiga

You would actually pay under $1000 for this?

Ok, I just bought a 6 core 1090T with a Radeon 5770 graphics card with a MSI board and 4 gigs of memory for about $600. So once you get this 133mhz fantastic machine going what are you going to play a twenty year old game called doom. I don't see the cost to performance ratio.

I originally bought the Amiga 1000 for these reasons:

1. My Otrana portable Z80/8088 portable suitcase computer quit working.
2. After looking around, the only PC type computer that I could afford at the time was a Tandy.
3. The Amiga 1000 hit the streets and impressed me with the Transformer, which gave me enough PC compatibility to do my programming and sell my PC programs.
Gave me the opportunity to learn programming in 68K mode and had a lot of new neat goodies to play with.

Believe it or not I don't like going backwards, and especially going backwards and spending twice the money for stepping backwards.

I still use the Amiga and I have it setup right next to my 6 core pc. I love showing off the Amiga 4000 because no one believes that such an old computer can operate like it does.

Oh well this is why the Amiga is in the situation that it is in, because I would like to see the Amiga do the following:

CPU -- move faster, like ghz not mhz.
Graphics -- advanced to millions of colors, shaders, etc. with faster graphics. AGA is dead.
Sound -- I want stereo quality, not 4, 8, 16 or 32 voices.
Hardware -- SATA, USB, USB 2.0, USB 3.0., media card readers.

Face it 133mhz is not going to play a DVD movie or do streaming.

Still stuck in the dark ages.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2011, 03:19:23 AM »
Hi,

Anyway Congrats Natami,

I hope you have success on this endeavor. Who knows I may buy one if I hear good reports, about it. Just wish it was faster with a better processor.

All though I think the rest of what I read was pretty cool, just needs to step up to the ghz range for me.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:31 AM »
@ Persia

I dunno... were to buy one I'd stick it in a lap top, an A1000 case or one of these:
http://www.aumro.com/products.html

:)
Ed.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2011, 03:59:32 AM »
Quote from: smerf;615640
Hi,

Anyway Congrats Natami,

I hope you have success on this endeavor. Who knows I may buy one if I hear good reports, about it. Just wish it was faster with a better processor.

All though I think the rest of what I read was pretty cool, just needs to step up to the ghz range for me.

smerf

I don't want to be, or come across as adversarial but I think you don't get it. Nobody will remember or care about your 1 Mil Ghz 6 core thingy in 2 months from now. Forget about "retro computing" this ushers in the concept of boutique computing not unlike the way guitar shops have gone.

Finding a thing that is unique in a world of common place, is worth something. But think you are a bit too 'Spock' to understand that.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline trekiej

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2011, 04:47:11 AM »
I like the idea of reconfigurable computing.
This may be a first for Amiga, or maybe the C-One with commodore.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
I can't wait to see how the finished product turns out.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2011, 08:32:35 AM »
Quote from: HenryCase;615617
Where have you been!! Most announced Amiga products get released nowadays. The era of vapourware seems to be behind us (for good, hopefully). :-)

Your back then :)

Thought you were gone for good :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2011, 08:50:10 AM »
Quote from: smerf;615636
Hi,

Ok, I just bought a 6 core 1090T with a Radeon 5770 graphics card with a MSI board and 4 gigs of memory for about $600. So once you get this 133mhz fantastic machine going what are you going to play a twenty year old game called doom. I don't see the cost to performance ratio.

I originally bought the Amiga 1000 for these reasons:

1. My Otrana portable Z80/8088 portable suitcase computer quit working.
2. After looking around, the only PC type computer that I could afford at the time was a Tandy.
3. The Amiga 1000 hit the streets and impressed me with the Transformer, which gave me enough PC compatibility to do my programming and sell my PC programs.
Gave me the opportunity to learn programming in 68K mode and had a lot of new neat goodies to play with.

Believe it or not I don't like going backwards, and especially going backwards and spending twice the money for stepping backwards.

I still use the Amiga and I have it setup right next to my 6 core pc. I love showing off the Amiga 4000 because no one believes that such an old computer can operate like it does.

Oh well this is why the Amiga is in the situation that it is in, because I would like to see the Amiga do the following:

CPU -- move faster, like ghz not mhz.
Graphics -- advanced to millions of colors, shaders, etc. with faster graphics. AGA is dead.
Sound -- I want stereo quality, not 4, 8, 16 or 32 voices.
Hardware -- SATA, USB, USB 2.0, USB 3.0., media card readers.

Face it 133mhz is not going to play a DVD movie or do streaming.

smerf

Of course most of us would like to see an uber fast Amiga. I'd like an ARM variant. Part of me wants a modern amiga, and part of me is like a classic car collector.
But I think many of us are a different sort of Amigan to you, the Amiga is a classic architecture to me, and the NatAmi is an obvious step up, and continuation from even the best classic machine.
I don't really care to much about ghz for the Amiga, I have two multi core multi ghz PC's for that. They are my work, the Amiga is my hobby. I want NatAmi, and I want an ARM AROS machine. I'm greedy.

AGA is dead, and the Amiga is dead? we all know this, but still it's our hobby.

Also the graphics, sound, and hardware -as far as I know NatAmi supports most of those things (excluding shaders, i'd imagine it's a fixed pipeline).

As for DVD and streaming, It would be nice, but not a necessity. I own 5 devices for playing back DVD's, and i'll generally watch a DVD on the 42" LCD and not a computer screen. Anyway An 060 is not as weak as it's Mhz rating might appear, it might surprise you.

I think your happy with UAE, and I have no problem with that, tools for the job etc. But I've always wanted a new classic Amiga with 24bit graphics, 16bit sound and above 060 performance, running AmigaOS native. Maybe in a few years i'll have one.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:53:59 AM by Khephren »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »
yeah, its the same reason everybody got rid of their harleys and replaced them with korean scooters.

Offline DaNi

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
i think natami inside this case can be pretty pretty :)
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Amiga1000.aspx

for my the best is a desktop case type A1200 or A600 inc. keyboard and of course, natami
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2011, 11:00:24 AM »
Quote from: runequester;615675
yeah, its the same reason everybody got rid of their harleys and replaced them with korean scooters.

I wonder how often he upgrades to a new wife? ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
I hope people will realize that speed != GHz

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2011, 12:28:38 PM »
Smerf, these FPGA Amiga implementations are clearly not for you. Can you stop rehashing these ancient arguments again in every thread. This isn't about creating a 2011 level computer to compete with a modern Mac or PC. There's the X1000 or Sam460 for that.

It's about creating a faster classic Amiga for those of us that happen to like the old classic Amiga, but want a bit more. NatAmi has said quite clearly that they're trying to create a hypothetical "late 90s" Amiga, with faster classic Amiga hardware rather than generic modern hardware (nice as it is). Those of us with classic computers as a hobby get quite excited at the thought, and as it's a hobby and our money to spend as we like, we don't care that it costs a lot - anything electronic custom-made in limited quantities will cost a lot!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:34:17 PM by Hattig »