Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: We've got it better here than we realize. ;)  (Read 346 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

We've got it better here than we realize. ;)
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »
I know this forum has some lousy flame-wars, personal attacks, accusations of bad moderation, and every other nasty thing people can do on the Internet on it, from time-to-time.

But today I got a new one that just takes the cake, and wanted to share!

Was getting a couple Sharepoint errors in the event log on a particular SBS 2008 box.  Spent a couple hours researching and trying different solutions, without success.  So I posted in a forum of like-minded techy users, specifically related to SBS questions.

Instead of a helpful response, I get this guy commenting about how I should just scrap everything, and upgrade to Office 365 and VM's for my servers, instead.  When my particular server still works well, is still supported by Microsoft, and only has a couple errors in the event log.

He basically turns my thread asking for help with a couple error messages into a platform to sell Microsoft software upgrades.

So after I tell him that his advice is not helpful or relevant, he throws my entire thread into moderation, and says "I'm an admin, I can do what I want!"

Man, what a jerk-hole!  I swear, if I was closer, I would punch this guy's lights out!  Grrr! I am so mad about it!  Despite all the smiley face emoticons!  ;)

Anyhow, be glad we've got it as good as we do here at amiga.org, even if people should learn "if they don't have something helpful to say, don't say anything at all" a little more, haha.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
Re: We've got it better here than we realize. ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »
It was probably Brian Williams over at Hillary's flat working on getting rid of those pesky emails and installing the new and improved ObamaNet update servers!:roflmao:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:03:44 PM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
I'm betting its AD who works several forums as a moderator and putz.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:07:16 PM »
You wanted to punch him? I've always considered you one of the most reasonable members of Amiga.org, he must of been a right ass. I guess he's just let it go to his head. Being a moderator is just too much power for some people to handle.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;786212
You wanted to punch him? I've always considered you one of the most reasonable members of Amiga.org, he must of been a right ass. I guess he's just let it go to his head. Being a moderator is just too much power for some people to handle.

Haha, thanks!  And thanks for letting me share.  Sometimes it's good to vent!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:56 PM »
I'm not so sure about that.  I get very weary of the threads here that devolve into a fantasy where AmigaOS or OS4 is going to take the world by storm if it had this, that or the other feature.  That's about as ridiculous as trying to make Lotus 1-2-3 a competitor with current versions of Microsoft Excel.  These ships have long since sailed and I'm amazed by how out-of-touch some people on this site are.  You can actually reason with someone who tries to get you to upgrade something that is still supported and supports modern standards but all the threads about AmigaOS or OS4 rising like a Phoenix from the ashes of a long-dead Commodore and reaching mainstream acceptance is beyond absurd.  At this point I'd welcome reasonable exchanges with people who are still in touch with the technology that's doing the grunt work instead of hearing from guys who are literally living in an "Amiga cave" with no outside contact and reading 1985 editions of Amazing Computing that they've hoarded and stacked to their ceilings.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the past and have fond memories of my Amiga days, and I still have my Amigas and enjoy them for what they are, but I'm not delusional and I've stayed current in the IT field.....and for good reason.  Gotta eat and pay my bills!

But yes, I do understand your frustration as well.  Just because something is new, doesn't always mean that it's better.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »
I have run into similar crap on line. Check this out:
http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12265
I wrote this after just such a run in. The matter is finally over, and I received an apology (that is an odd ending however - usually they just tell you to %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! off   :biglaugh: )

BTW - you can read some of Lifeschool's work over on this forum too.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 01:43:28 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;786215
i'm not so sure about that.  I get very weary of the threads here that devolve into a fantasy where amigaos or os4 is going to take the world by storm if it had this, that or the other feature.  That's about as ridiculous as trying to make lotus 1-2-3 a competitor with current versions of microsoft excel.  These ships have long since sailed and i'm amazed by how out-of-touch some people on this site are.

+infinity
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:48:02 AM by Tripitaka »
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:19:15 AM »
Microsoft's whole push these days, including the shills, sycophants, and fanbois, is to push techs out of the market, take servers out of the office, and push everyone into the "cloud."  Fortunately I have an Action Pack with 10 support incidents.  I just bypass the schmucks in the forums if I can't find an answer quickly and go right to Microsoft.  

Support's been very good and even worked with me for a few weeks while I troubleshot Exchange 2010 (in SBS 2011) at two locations (only one scoped) which got stuck on a bad certificate on my smart hosts.  The guy checked up on me every other day while I collected logs and replaced the bad certificates.  It all worked out.  Another thing they do is document everything they do and provide that to me so I can reproduce the fix in the future.

But, yeah, Microsoft is not just going to push techs out of the market in principle but in practice. Fortunately I have seen a growing revolt against "cloud" as more and more crap happens -- lost data, bad support, long down-times, and leaked data -- not to mention the uncertainty surrounding the rapid rise of the surveillance state.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:20:05 AM »
One of the few things I hate; When the answer to a very specific problem is that I shouldn't be doing the things the way I'm doing them.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »
And usually from people who obviously have no idea, but do have a certification.