Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Inc have sold the AmigaOS  (Read 7265 times)

Description:

Offline weirdami

• Show all replies
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Re: Amiga Inc have sold the AmigaOS
« on: March 16, 2004, 04:01:23 AM »
Argo said...
I assume they also have licence from Amiga, Inc for the name.

The press release said...
"I should point out, that except as they relate to the Amiga OS family of products, KMOS did not acquire the Amiga name, intellectual property or its DE line of products. These assets remain the property of Amiga Inc.".

So, I guess they licensed the name in a way, but not exclusively.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline weirdami

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga Inc have sold the AmigaOS
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 04:29:33 AM »
1) Is this really for real?

According to the press release, yes.

I'm not sure how to feel about this whole thing, though. It's kinda weird. A new home for Amiga. I feel kinda sad that Amiga got sold again. But, it might be a good thing. AI can go about doing whatever DE stuff it's doing and whatever lawsuits surrounding it will not be able to touch the AmigaOS because it's owned by someone else. If AOS4 was an upgrade of AmigaDE (which it obviously is not), then there's no way to prove it because now DE is being conspicuously separated from OS4. OS4 and the entirety of AmigaOS IP (whatever of it that AI bought from Gateway) is owned by someone else and DE is going to be worked on by AI (or whoever it is that's working on it on AI's behalf). If OS4 was an upgrade of DE, then why is DE still being worked on? Logically, if OS4 was an upgrade of DE, then DE is necessarily obsolete, but it's still being worked on, so it can't be. This new ownership separation adds to the fact that there's no real connection between the two. That's good thing number one.

Good thing number two might be that if KMOS has money to buy whole other companies like that (Itec LLC, not AI), then they've probably got all sorts of resources with which to keep Amiga alive.

One question I have is if KMOS "develops and distributes enabling technology, software applications and specialty content to the wired and wireless communication market", then why didn't they buy DE as well, or instead of OS4? DE seems more their line. The description of KMOS on the AI press release could be used to describe AI, given the products it's released. KMOS must be AI, with money. Good thing number three. :-)

Let's just hope this doesn't turn out badly. As in, I don't want to have to buy an IBM just to have an Amiga. Amiga as Windows replacement, no. Amiga as Windows killer, yes. :destroy:
----

Offline weirdami

• Show all replies
Did Argo go insane?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 05:59:10 AM »
@Argo

You just posted (see above) three one sentence comments in a row which seem to have no context. Were those supposed to be private messages?
----