Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Making Amiga UNIX ready for the 2007 DST change  (Read 775 times)

Description:

Offline FailureTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • http://awhitlock.net/
Making Amiga UNIX ready for the 2007 DST change
« on: February 20, 2007, 05:19:33 PM »
There's been a lot of buzz about the 2007 DST changes and what they mean for IT.  Well, fear not, because it is relatively simple to prepare your AMIX installation for March 11 :-)

As with everything AMIX these days:  The included utilites are obsolete, and the new tzdata does not work with it.  The whole naming structure has changed.  The new tzcode will not compile.  Happily, if you pick and choose the data you need -- I only care about the US on my system -- it is easy to update the source files that come installed with AMIX for the DST changes.

Go here:
[color=0000ff]
Code: [Select]
ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov
cd /pub
get tzdata2007b.tar.gz
bye
[/color]Next, open up two shell sessions on the box.  At the command prompt:
[color=0000ff]
mkdir tzdata && cd tzdata
gzip -dc ../tzdata2007b.tar.gz | tar -xf -
vi northamerica
[/color]In the other window, head over to the TZ data, located in /usr/lib/locale/TZ.  Back up the directory if you want to be safe.  Open up the appropriate file, for example in the US it is northamerica.  This is a source file for timezone data.  Find the section that looks like this:
[color=0000ff]
# Rule  NAME    FROM    TO      TYPE    IN      ON      AT      SAVE    LETTER/S
Rule    US      1969    max     -       Oct     lastSun 2:00    0       S
[/color]And delete every Rule US line in there.  If you're using vi just type d6d.  Replace it with the longer Rule US section (near the top after many lines of comments) from the tzdata/northamerica file you have open in the other window.  If you're using X you can middle-click to paste selections.  Remove the u from 23:00u on this line:
[color=0000ff]
Rule    US      1945    only    -       Aug     14      23:00u  1:00    P # Peace[/color]AMIX doesn't like it.  Next, in the /usr/lib/locale/TZ directory, if you want to go ahead and overwrite your timezone files with the new data issue the following command:
[color=0000ff]
zic -d . northamerica[/color]You're all set.  If you want to put the output files elsewhere, create a directory and change the . argument to that directory.  Happy SysVR4 in 2007 and beyond :-)

PS: If you're quick you can fetch the updated northamerica from my AMIX box here.  To reduce my power usage I no longer leave the A3000UX running all the time, just when I want to play on it.
You can\'t spell evil without "vi"
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP