Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED  (Read 31333 times)

Description:

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
Re: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Quote from: danwood;784601
It shouldn't come as much of a surprise really, A-Eonkit make OS4 hardware so that is the focus of their software development too.  Other "Amiga-like" OSes are not really in their business model.

That was a nice way to put it, I have a different story but I don't feel like I want to be banned today.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
Quote from: danwood;784601
It shouldn't come as much of a surprise really, A-Eonkit make OS4 hardware so that is the focus of their software development too.  Other "Amiga-like" OSes are not really in their business model.

Well if they are trying to dictate which OS wins out... they won't see me buying their products as I only use MorphOS and AROS at the time being, at least till FAST FPGA solutions emerge as I believe I am officially over classic hardware and all the money it takes to keep it up, keep it stable, and expand its capabilities.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
Just glad we will get to use OctaMED on OS4.1.

Would love to see how some of you get ondemanding say SONY, port a game to PS4. Even if you screamed blue murder, SONY would not care one little bit.
You would then accept it and move on.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:04:54 PM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;784610
Out curiosity, lets hear your story.

Seems this thread went off topic fast.

Seems it's about to.

Are you actually trying to drag your employer's positive thread off topic? Why not take it to pm, like a moderator might suggest.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline smf

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
Give them a break and let them focus on developing an updated AmigaOS version before you scream for ports to other systems. They have quite a lot of software sources to play around with now so give them some time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:33:18 PM by smf »

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
I don't really understand the anger over A-EON not porting software it owns to MorphOS and AROS. That's like expecting Ford to start making accessories and parts for Toyota owners. They are under no obligation to do so and have a business of their own to run.

It would be nice if they did, but I don't begrudge them for not doing so.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;784622
I don't really understand the anger over A-EON not porting software it owns to MorphOS and AROS. That's like expecting Ford to start making accessories and parts for Toyota owners. They are under no obligation to do so and have a business of their own to run.

neither do i, but i'd love to run octamed in an amiga environment on my laptop. so for that (at least without emulation) means a powerbook with MOS or a PC with AROS. so, being selfish, i'd kinda like to have the option.

but it's up to them. the priority for me is to get it up and running on my AOS4 machines since they're nearest the keyboard. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
Quote from: danwood;784482
They already said in the PPaint thread... if those communities get some bounty money together they may consider a port to AROS or MorphOS.  

Without, it's 68k and OS4 they're developing for.

And if I said the only way I will provide Finalwriter for aos4 is if aos4 users pay for both the development and then a copy how would I look?
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;784622

Real Software Publishers will port their software to as many systems as they can in order to maximise sales, you are saying it is OK for A-EON to use software they own to kill sales of competing hardware, if that is OK with you then how long will it be before they sell software that ONLY runs on A-EON's own Amigaone systems?

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;784626
And if I said the only way I will provide Finalwriter for aos4 is if aos4 users pay for both the development and then a copy how would I look?

Honestly, if you own the rights; do as you like. Noone should hold a grudge over it.
As it is, everyone intrested in the ORIGINAL version of FW will find it by searching the net.
Its been "dead" for years, just like AeonKits aquisitions, so I cant bring myself to villify someone trying to modernize anicent products.

That said; im sure you would make several people happy if you ported to all "Amiga" branches.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;784626
i don't care. me wanty! take my money! :laugh1:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »
I'm not angry. I just don't think it's nice to dangle a carrot in front of us if they don't indend to give it to us. No more, no less :)

Offline Hans_

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
Quote from: A6000;784628
Real Software Publishers will port their software to as many systems as they can in order to maximise sales, ...

Real software publishers will port their software to a system if (and only if) the potential profits exceed the cost of creating that port. Spending a dollar to get less than a dollar back in sales is guaranteed to make your business fail.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 08:58:50 PM »
Bravo!

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;784644
Real software publishers will port their software to a system if (and only if) the potential profits exceed the cost of creating that port. Spending a dollar to get less than a dollar back in sales is guaranteed to make your business fail.

Hans

That would be a valid argument if there was a large amount of development required to port between our platforms.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 17, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;784653
That would be a valid argument if there was a large amount of development required to port between our platforms.

Correct! There should in theory be minimal effort in porting, thus minimal effort in expanding the user base and therefore sales. They would be fools not to.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs