Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Os 3.2 development preview  (Read 153868 times)

Description:

Offline kolla

Re: Os 3.2 development preview
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
Shell now has the ability to have a partial name of a program or path
autocompleted using the TAB key.
Configurable? Context aware? Programmable? Cycling? Is one character enough?

We have a new shell built-in command called "history" that lists the
contents of the Shell history buffer with the help of the cursor keys.
For many this sounds like a scrollback buffer, which it is not - it's the command line history.

We also added the && operator that first executes the first command,
and if this fails, it aborts. If not, it executes the second command.
Why? Isn't this rather redundant as one can use "If not WARN" instead? Also, just two commands, or can you make a long list of commands separated by &&? And, when you have this kind of "AND", where is "OR"?

Error handling has been improved. We have a functional stderr. So we
can specifically redirect error streams when using the shell.
Great - and how do one redirect from stdout to stderr and vice versa?

There is now also a way to debug commands being executed from the
shell by using the serial port.

Super - though it sucks for those systems that don't have serial port, because "who in this day and age need that?" :)

The bootmenu got two new checkmark options that reflect on the
behaviour of the shell, and make its advanced options much more simple
to use.
So a new kickstart? What kind of behaviour?
Could early startup please get tab/shift+tab/enter/esc support for easier navigation with keyboard?

The ReAction GUI toolkit does a successful comeback, but now with
extended functionality and an array of bug fixes never seen before.

Because fixing bugs that had already been fixed would be awkward :)

Due to popular demand, the new intuition.library that allows you to
move windows out of the screen is now built-in by default, that said,
we added an optional fall-back method for those who still use the
unmaintained CyberGraphX RTG system.

Good - I see IControl is updated. This also suggest that there is a new kickstart.

Intuition has the ability to allow windows to be iconified and hidden
and this has been implemented in Workbench programs. An iconification
gadget will be visible to the left of the zoom gadget for this purpose.

What will this gadget do if Workbench is not loaded? Will it even be visible?

You can find scalable gadtools GUIs in most of the Workbench programs.
This means that they have become font sensitive, and properly adjust
to different font sizes. So you are no longer forced to use the default
topaz font on them anymore.
And which font in Font prefs is used? Same as for Window and Screen titles? Or has this been fine masked a little?

IControl now toggles on/off the out of the screen window dragging
abilities of the newly built-in intuition.library.
Yay.

Workbench prefs enables you to customise the text present in the
title bar on the Workbench screen.
Still not possible to hide "NDOS" or other non-validated filesystem devices, like the Ghostbuster patch does?

DefIcons is a program that attempts to identify different file types
and depending on its own configuration, it will apply a default icon
with an associated action to each of them.
Configurable file type definitions?

The RAM-Disk now supports "external hardlinks" and its purpose is
to integrate env-handling features into RAM, and avoid unnecessary
copying of files. This saves memory and makes the system boot
marginally faster.

Without any way of identifying such magic symlinks, I find this an obscurity.
Will be fun to play around with and see how one can confuse and break it though.

The datatype system has been improved: there is a new BMP datatype
that manages Windows/OS2 bitmap images, and an improved text datatype
with search functionality built-in.
Good, though I cannot recall ever using the BMP datatype and would rather see WebP datatype. Does search also work in amiga guides? Can it be programmed in document to do something else than search for text in a guide, for example to trigger a remote search on aminet?

Input.device can now properly manage multiple input events
appropriately, and this essentially means better support for USB
solutions that are aware of this.
Well, who saw that coming - input.device was perfect already for this, someone insisted :rolling eyes:

You will also find several fixes, optimizations and updates that cover
nearly all AmigaOS components, and a few other minor features that are
properly addressed in our FAQ.

Will the Workbench "Find" be "populated" again? Will "Execute command" in Workbench have a history as well? Will there be something akin to RAWBInfo again?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline kolla

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2019, 09:48:06 PM »
And another thing - Ed and More could work better together, so that Ed doesn’t open a new window on Workbench when invoked from inside More, but rather use the same console window. I suppose this is due to limitations in console though.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:50:22 PM by kolla »
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
I never heard of anyone using the Ghostbuster patch having problems formatting devices... ??

It is a useful option for those cases when more handlers/filesystem definitions are used for the same device and unit, for example I have both CD0 and SD0 in devs:dosdrivers, and depending on whether it’s a cd drive or sd card attached to the second IDE unit, one of them show up and the other is hidden from workbench.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »
Why? Isn't this rather redundant as one can use "If not WARN" instead?
There is no "or". || is output concatenation. && is sequencing. It is most useful in pipe constructions.
I know there is no "or", what I am asking is if "&&" is now an "and".

Are these equivalent?
Code: [Select]
command1 && command2 && command3vs
command1
if not warn
  command2
  if not warn
    command3
  endif
endif

Great - and how do one redirect from stdout to stderr and vice versa?
Same as you always did. Without any other activities, stderr goes to stdout. *> redirects stderr.  *<> redirects stderr to stdout, *>> appends stderr. The shell syntax did not change, only the commands did (and the dos.library did) to make consistent use of stderr.
Hm, I have had troubles with this before due to inconsistent implementations - I don't recall exactly, but a work-around with v46 (iirc) was using "( command ) > file" instead of "command > file"

And which font in Font prefs is used? Same as for Window and Screen titles? Or has this been fine masked a little?
The system default font, unless the window doesn't fit on the screen, in which case it falls back to topaz.8.
Meh, so same font will be used for just about everything except Workbench icons (a font setting that really should be in Workbench prefs) and console windows (ViNCEd use its own font settings though). I wish for more "fine grained" settings, as I want to use a smaller font for GUI/gadgets/requesters etc than I use for window title bars and screen title bar. Oh well.

Still not possible to hide "NDOS" or other non-validated filesystem devices, like the Ghostbuster patch does?
No. Otherwise, you won't be able to format unformatted disks.
As mentioned, I never had a problem formatting anything because of this... it's as if you never tried the Ghostbuster commodity and its Workbench prefs replacement, and hence do not really know how it is used.

Does search also work in amiga guides?
Amigaguide did not change. It is not HTML.
I just asked if is possible to search in Amigaguide files, I never said anything about HTML - why do you bring up HTML??
Will the Workbench "Find" be "populated" again?
If you have WBFind installed, it is. That does not change. The workbench itself does not have a global find, it requires an external component for that.
I take that as a "No", and I never ever heard of a "WBFind".
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2019, 05:47:38 AM »
@kolla
"Super - though it sucks for those systems that don't have serial port, because "who in this day and age need that?" :)"

That's like saying Amiga - Who in this day and age needs that? :)

I agree - I use serial port literally all the time - as that's where the console for the raspberry pi is :)
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2019, 10:37:30 AM »
I’m not publishing jack, any dumbass “expert” can do this themselves, the masses can follow your pipe.
So, why don't you? Let other people make the work, and then complain about the results? Yes, I know that's easier, but it's not very helpful. Try to be a bit positive and contribute. I'm serious.
Then Kolla would not be Kolla ;D

Well, this is the "development model" chosen by Hyperion and Thomas here, they could have done it differently so that it would be easier to participate and contribute without being dragged into silly non-disclosure nonsense.

I am coming back to WBLoad... let's see what the FAQ says:

7.5 * What does the new WBLoad command located in C: actually do?

It is a sort of replacement for the more known WBRun command. It loads
Workbench programs from the CLI/Shell. However, it does not require
the Workbench. Hence, it is safe to use in the Startup-Sequence before
LoadWB, and it operates synchronously, i.e. it does not return until
the started program returns. If this bothers you, place an "&" as the
last argument to the program.

Well, we have now learnt that it is not a "sort of replacement" for WBRun, as they are very different tools that have different goals and purposes. WBLoad is _only_ for opening programs that for some weird reason cannot be opened from CLI directly - personally I don't even know of any such program (and I would find such a program that only can be launched from Workbench to be rather broken). If it at least could open files/drawers that have "project" type icons and an associated default tool, I could see some use for it. Secondly, it does not return until the started program returns, not sure why this is a feature, but perhaps if you have some obscure (broken) program that you insist on puttin in startup-sequence, and you don't want to continue startup-sequence until user has exited.... It also does not pass on ctrl-signals to the program that is started, even when those programs accept ctrl-signals themselves...  bug, lacking feature, who knows. Thirdly - does it even care about the associated .info file? Does it take tooltypes etc into account when starting programs? I admit I have not tested... but I am not be surprised if it does not. Meh... pfew...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:46:28 AM by kolla »
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2019, 05:28:36 PM »
If things would be "open" (in your definition), would you contribute any more than you do now?

Yes, I would.

Would it make any difference from you whether the Os sources would be accessible for you?

Yes, it would make a big difference.

If so, why?

Because sources are often where one find the best documentation. Because with sources available one can actually read what the code is supposed to do. Because with sources available one can alter them, build, test out, debug etc, and potentially improve the code and submit patches. Most important though - and I am sure you would not approve - is that would allow regular users to build and share "special versions" among each other, and allow fixes to be dealt with swiftly, instead of having to wait months/years for updates that may or may not include fixes for the bugs I (and others) are struggling with.

What does the current model stop you from doing right now you would be able to do otherwise?
The current model prevents me from having any clue what bugs are known and which bugs are not, or even know what is bug and what intended feature, as both changelogs and list over known bugs are kept "secret".

and just be happy.

Who says I am not happy? I am happy, Amiga is just a hobby, and if there was less to complain about regarding the OS development, I would happily complain less - but the things way are now, there is just so much... nonsense... going on.

Instead of contributing to the solution, you stick around, spread bad mood, complain, keep naging, and otherwise.... do nothing.

Well, you know what? Complaining, nagging etc has proven be to be most effective method of getting useful information. Yeah, it's a sad thing.
WBLoad is _only_ for opening programs that for some weird reason cannot be opened from CLI directly - personally I don't even know of any such program (and I would find such a program that only can be launched from Workbench to be rather broken).
No, it is for programs where you put parameters into icons as tooltypes, and you want to pass over exactly these arguments in the tooltypes to the program run, and not use the CLI parsing branch of the program. Thus, where you must ensure that the program behaives exactly as if double clicked from the workbench.

Again, you write "program", and yes, for exactly that, it works.

If it at least could open files/drawers that have "project" type icons and an associated default tool,
Which it does. So, you haven't tried. See what I mean by "users"?

I have tried, and it did not work...

So it is supposed to work, you say....well after some testing I can say that it _only_ works if default tool is specified with full path - it doesn't care about shell path, and it doesn't care about workbench path - it only uses current directory as path. Where is this documented? Guess I just reported another bug, then... ouch, that was unintended.

Secondly, it does not return until the started program returns, not sure why this is a feature, but perhaps if you have some obscure (broken) program that you insist on puttin in startup-sequence, and you don't want to continue startup-sequence until user has exited....
It can. Put a "&" as last argument. Oh, that's an "obscure" shell feature? Nevermind, it does work.
Well, I prefer to stick with old "run >NIL:" which one can rely on, regardless of which broken version of Amiga shell that is used. But I still don't understand _why_ it should not detach by itself - by not detaching, it suggest that one can do something useful with the input, but nothing is described, and it doesn't handle ctrl-signals... so what is the point of not detaching?
It also does not pass on ctrl-signals to the program that is started, even when those programs accept ctrl-signals themselves...
Since when do workbench programs care about ^C? You can send them a signal if you want.

Well, don't just about all programs that ship with Workbench care about ctrl-c? All prefs programs, all commodities, tools like multiview etc.

bug, lacking feature, who knows.
I know. You troll.

In most cases, it looks like you are the only one who knows, even people like Gulliver more often than not, does not know and must check with you.

Thirdly - does it even care about the associated .info file?
If you ask this question, you don't know how WBStartup works.

WBStartup? Or did you mean WBLoad?
WBStartup cares about tooltypes like DONOTWAIT and WAIT - imagine if WBLoad could support those too, _that_ would actually have been useful - DONOTWAIT would detach, and WAIT, if present, could be used to specify for how long to wait before detaching. Consider this a feature request... oh now, I did again - sorry, not my intention to contribute with constructive criticism and ideas - I am really just here to whine!
I admit I have not tested... but I am not be surprised if it does not. Meh... pfew...
No, you haven't.
And I admitted it, it was the one example I took reservation with.
You just come around trolling, complaining, not willing to contribute in any particular form.... Kolla, you are a shame for this "Community", and you are one of the top reasons why any form of "open development model" is a very bad idea.
So you are saying that *I* am the number one reason why keep the development model as it is? Wow, I am flattered!

Seriously, sit on your bottom, and write programs yourself. Help, contribute, then you are entitled to criticize because you've proven that you can do better. Actually, all you show is "I don't care, I don't want to do better, I just want to complain".

What's just wrong with you? Do you enjoy complaining instead of doing?

Dr. Thomas is at it again? Why can you not stick to the topic instead of going on rants with personal attacks and asking suggesting questions? For the your information, nothing is wrong with me, I am also not complaining for the sake of complaining, you just take any sort of criticism of the product as a personal attack against yourself.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:30:51 PM by kolla »
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »
You really have a hard time staying on topic.

WBLoad does not respect path and only searches current directory for default tool when the argument file has an associated .info file with "project" as type. SnoopDOS confirms this. If I only use "Multiview" as default tool, Workbench will open the file with Multiview, but WBLoad will only open the file if I first CD to SYS:Utilities - paths be damned.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:55:48 PM by kolla »
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2019, 07:26:04 PM »
The topic is OS 3.2 Development Preview.

Exactly. Please look back at the thread and see how it derailed. There is an expression "don't feed the trolls", but Thomas keeps feeding me with questions, some rhetoric, some not, knowing well that he will use the answers only for one purpose - "troll feeding" (with the hopes he can get me banned?).

Regarding WBLoad, one can hope the FAQ is updated to reflect the reality.

It is a sort of replacement for the more known WBRun command.
vs. developer saying
I don't think it is "the new WBRun". It was never supposed to be.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2019, 12:19:15 PM »
Here is the extremely mundane work-around I wrote... beware, it will format your hard drives.

; $VER: WBLoad 45.5 (23.10.2019)
.key PROG/A,ARGS/M
.bra [
.ket ]

Status com=Workbench >NIL:
If WARN
  WBLoad.bin [PROG] [ARGS]
Else
  WBRun.bin [PROG] [ARGS]
EndIf
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
Since I'm in a meeting, I fixed the script to use arexx instead of a wbrun binary, and renamed it wbrun - not implemented all the extra features of wbrun (delay, viewby, show etc).

; $VER: WBRun 45.8 (24.10.2019)
.key PROG/A,ARGS/M
.bra [
.ket ]

If WARN
  WBLoad [PROG] [ARGS]
Else
  RX "ADDRESS Workbench WINDOW '[PROG]' OPEN"
EndIf
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2019, 02:00:23 PM »
And now this is there too - WBLoad should just do this on its own.
; $VER: WBRun 45.9 (24.10.2019)
.key PROG/A,ARGS/M,DELAY/N/K,SHOW/K,VIEWBY/K
.bra [
.ket ]

If NOT "[DELAY]" EQ ""
  Wait [DELAY]
EndIf

If WARN
  WBLoad [PROG] [ARGS]
Else
  RX "ADDRESS Workbench WINDOW '[PROG]' OPEN"
  If NOT "[SHOW]" EQ ""
    RX "ADDRESS Workbench MENU WINDOW '[PROG]' WINDOW.SHOW.[SHOW]"
  EndIf
  If NOT "[VIEWBY]" EQ ""
    RX "ADDRESS Workbench MENU WINDOW '[PROG]' WINDOW.VIEWBY.[VIEWBY]"
  EndIF
EndIf
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:14:58 PM by kolla »
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2019, 03:55:18 PM »
Btw - what C compiler(s) is OS3 development currently relying on? I ask since 68k is endangered target for gcc past release 10, and that also means cross-compiling will not work. Anyone with interests in future 68k should be worried - especially those with business tied to it.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
As you observe from your script, the functionality of WBRun is - as said - just a one-liner in Rexx.
No, to replace wbrun of bb2, it is not really a one-liner, but whatever.
I hope you understand now better why I consider WBRun as program as rather low value. Even an alias would be able to replace it.

It seems like my entire point flew over your head - wbrun, the binary, as well as my wrapper script above, should be redundant, as wbload should just do it all already. All the time you have wasted ranting about me and whatnot, you could have implemented it already - easily. And then the popular assumption, that wbload is a “sort of wbrun replacement” would be true - less confusing for everyone.

PS: do you consider the fact that wbload only searches current working directory for default tool... a bug, or a feature?

PPS: with inclusion of DefIcons this becomes even more confusing - will or should WBLoad use deficons for files that lack icons? Or will it, as you suggested earlier, attempt to load them CLI style?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:52:55 PM by kolla »
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2019, 11:09:44 AM »
I don't know a lot about the CD32, but AFAIK it doesn't have built in ATA anyway.

Correct.
CD32 expansion boards typically come with A600/A1200 style "gayle" controller, and one can attach ATAPI CD drives there.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #59 from previous page: October 30, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »
AFAICT the SX1 & SX32 work with the standard a1200 scsi.device
Yes, I can confirm for SX32 Pro and TF328 (boards I have), and the same is also the case for TF330 and TF360, as well as Witcher-CD32 from what I know.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox