Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PFS3 is soon to become free and opensource  (Read 30453 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: PFS3 is soon to become free and opensource
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:06:19 PM »
this is truly very cool news. if i tried  also to contact him to buy a copy after sfs caused me trouble, but with no success. i fine with ffs for now but occasional validation failures, and now cubic_ide complaining about filesystem not supporting long filenames make me want to switch to psf even more.

gulliver, many thanks!!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
Quote from: delshay;554180
if and when it gets release it needs to go PPC....PFS4.

what 4?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
Quote from: Piru;554188
Not really. The filesystem is I/O bound anyway, so there is little benefit from porting it to PPC.

I've used PFS3 as my main filesystem on MorphOS for 10 years now.

exactly what i wanted to say, no need to port it to ppc.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;554260
Okay, so that you know who I contacted, and the results I got so far:

Tobias Abt - Picasso96 - Got a response, it was NO
Heinz Wrobel - Envoy3 - Got a response, it was NO
Chris Hames - PCTask - YES to binaries
Michiel Pelt - PFS3 - YES to binaries and source, but will have to wait till he solves some issues
Holger Kruze - Miami Deluxe - Awaiting answer. Still to early to declare unanswered
Thomas Frieden/Hyperion - Warp3D - No answer
Stefan Stuntz - MUI 3.8 - No answer
Stephen Fellner - RiVA - Yes, but doesnt have enough time to look into the matter and release it

i think you can unfortunatelly forget warp3d. we (actually matthey) havnt got any answer from hyperion as we were asking for sources alone to fix warp3d, so that it is practically usable, not to give it away. otherwie its licence states that it can be distributed for free.

in particular it says this:

Warp3D may be distributed  unmodified
and  free  of  charge  with  any project, commercial, freeware or
shareware. Warp3D may not be modified in any way and  distributed
in  its  modified  form  without  the prior written permission of
Hyperion Entertainment. The Warp3D API is copyrighted by Hyperion
Entertainment  and  its  authors  and  may  not be re-implemented
without the express written permission of Hyperion Entertainment.
Developers  can  make  use  of  Warp3D  in  their  commercial and
non-commercial projects free of charge.

i think similar applies to mui. i wasnt even able to register it. what a shame.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »
instead of asking to opensource mui, we should push forward zune on aros and help to debug its 68k port by bernd, distributed with the afaos.

edit: as for w3d i must admit i do not know its actual licence status. as far as i know the system was originally developed by haage and partner, so maybe it is again only licenced to hyperion along with a right to develop drivers since h&p is not in amiga buissness anymore, but could still remain the holder of ip. somone has any clue on that? otherwise we could put it down in the future in favour of gallium anyway.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:56:26 PM by wawrzon »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »
alas no sign of it. seems as there was no official release and no opening sources and only shady af release none cares anymore and no interest is generated.
i bought the af to get a copy which seems to be a little of a rip off so i dont reccomend that much. the archive was just copied from some other free amiga cd, a serial added from who knows where then an update archive attached for which you have to provide an original cd rom. all in all, a little disappointing.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 12:30:14 AM »
it would be nice if pfs could be installed as kickstart module (it cant atm). btw sounds as if the author is a little irritated. wonder why. might be my oversensibilty though.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
@golem!dk:
i prefer to have all that in my custom kick but it isnt so important or maybe even better to have it in rdb. pfs4 could happen if the sources would have been open. for instance i have formatted an pfs3 partition using normal format command. there were muforce hits and the task froze. nevertheless rhe partition seems to be formatted allright. checked that few times and im using it ever since with no issues. one could cure issues like thiese perhaps.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 01:51:07 AM »
@golem!dk
Were you able to reproduce these hits on further testing?

sure. otherwise i wouldnt brag about it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:01 PM »
@bamiga: given it was impossible to contact him all these years to get a licence, and that he has not found a time to to open the sources since half a year, i dont know on what you are basing your hopes. in general this community always tends to hope for too much imo.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 05:20:01 PM »
i will not contribute as long as there is no confirmed feedback form author accepting a bounty. simple as that.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 05:46:12 AM »
better ask him in advance, or what do you want with the money, if he doesnt even want it?