Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why do people believe the advertising?  (Read 9340 times)

Description:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
Re: Why do people believe the advertising?
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:03:53 PM »
is there an honest point to debating the version numbering? Sometimes they slap a number at the end, other times its a word, sometimes its both!

XP was eXPerience, maybe 7 isnt actually the version #, and is a secret riddle.

either way, it could have been called Windows TreeStump and it would be just as nice.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;550067
I don't think his reading comprehention is up to much, thats all.

pot meet kettle?

---------------------

There are a lot of nice differences in Windows 7.  For one, the GUI gets the priority it deserves, so sometimes when you accidentally click a link that has music blaring at 20394820349823409 db, you can click the speaker in the task bar and IMMEDIATELY get to see and mute the sound.   Instead of waiting 30 seconds :)

This results in some latency in a lot of emulators (PC engine, MSX, C64, etc), but they are all getting buttons in them to turn Aero off while the Emulator is running, and back on again when you are done.  So, its kind of alright.  Ootake does the Aero-kill immediately.

Its good to have the option to easily disable or change the look of things.  

pardon the flame-war possibility, but, cant do that on Mac out of box.... and I hate the carbon theme.  Needs more blue.

unless they've changed it since I had my macbook a few years ago :(  

I think they are rehashing some of the old vista features because, back when Vista came out, they went stupid at advertise-time and didn't do a good job of anything.   It seemed like vista just accidentally showed up in stores under the radar.     7 has a nice, fresh marketing campaign , and if you watch the commercials, followed by the Mac vs. PC ones, you can catch hints of the two arguing with each other like on a forum :D

kind of nice to see Windows taking the slightly "finger pointing" approach in advertising.  Their commercials were all very well done for the Windows 7 launch

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;550085
Wut? I'm not talking about the "windows 7 was my idea" ads. I'm talking about the ones where the hyperactive tossers take credit on microsofts behalf for stuff people were doing years ago. An advert for tabbed browsing? COME ON! Internetworks 1994! Do they really need to advertise being 16 years behind the competition? and they're smug about it as well!

lets not forget, when Internetworks 1994 was out, you were about 3, and have no general knowledge of its impact on the world back then.

it was only recently (this decade or so)  that the real-good browsers started having tabs and doing good with it...  some of the early tabbed stuff was pretty goony.   I think Chrome's doin the best with tabs so far.  nice and fast

and the "16 years behind" thing is a bit overplayed by alot of people.  Tons of "bitd" stuff was full of features that were neat, but as a whole, the application wasn't so great and didn't last.

and you were 3, so you weren't really aware of any of this.

:)

you really shouldnt comment on the "Bitd" stuff, since bitd you were still wetting the bed and getting tucked in.

I remember a friend telling me that Vista, when it launched, was full of things Linux was doing 10 years ago.   At the time, any of these features that may have been present in Linux, were a PITA to use, because wayyyy back in the early days, Linux was not exactly user friendly. :D

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;550136
BTW: Can someone explain to me the difference in functionality between a browser Tab and "Right click" "Open in new window"?  
Neither makes any difference in memory or speed that I can see.  
Tabs up the top of the screen or windows down the bottom. I know what I'm used to when I run multiple programs. Why is the browser different ?
How do you tile tabs horizontally or vertically on a super wide screen.  You cant!.  Big X to that nice piece of functionality.  But its new and cool. Hey what a good idea.

Geeze I'm grumpy today!  Sorry I have an aching ankle and the drugs have gone right to my head.

Gertsy.

Because its nice to have all your pages in use open in ONE instance of your browser, instead of say 15, if you are browsing that many pages.   Alot faster to flip between em all if its all in one browser....

i mean if you dont LIKE tabs, and want to tile a bunch of windows at the same time and see like 8 pages at once, use 8 instances instead.

:)  Chromes got the nicest tabs though!