Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is/are your favourite ARCADE game(s), but...?  (Read 3366 times)

Description:

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Re: What is/are your favourite ARCADE game(s), but...?
« on: May 12, 2004, 03:08:52 PM »

UFO Robo Dangar/Nishibutsu

Bless you.

Seriously though I've always preferred playing games on computers / consoles to arcades.  There's more of a need for depth of gameplay, as you don't run out of 50 pence coins to keep feeding an Amiga... ;-D

Fave arcades are as follows:

Outrun - Sega

Unbeatable for a sense of occasion.  The soundtrack, the novelty of the hydraulic cabinet and the adolescent desire to drive fast to impress a female passenger.  Shame the game featured a butt-ugly Testarossa though, had it been the prettier 328 or maybe a Berlinetta Boxer it would have been nigh on perfect!

GTI Club - unknown

Driving either a Golf GTi or Mini Cooper (among others) around Monaco flat out, in the style of the Italian Job was a serious buzz, particularly as I owned my own Golf GTi at the time!  

Virtua Racing - Sega

Actually put you in the driving seat of an F1 car.  Playing against mates was the big attraction.

Operation Wolf - Taito

Solely for the purpose of gratuitous use of an Uzi 9mm!
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 09:43:31 AM »
Does anyone remember Hyper Sports?  I vividly recall the sound of buttons being slapped furiously by people playing that one.  I remember playing it on a mate's C64, and seeing joysticks getting broken regularly!

Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:18:04 AM »
Hiya MAD,

I forgot Operation Wolf. Brilliant game indeed.
As for HyperSports, well, it was quite a fun game but way too difficult!
I played the arcade a couple of times but I had it on CPC and I went past the second event only a couple of times...
Too bad.

Yep, I liked Operation Wolf a lot...  Hyper Sports I was shockingly awful at too.  I couldn't get very far, despite smacking the hell out of the machine.  

Yep,

Two MASSIVE classics now:

Bubble Bobble
The New Zealand Story

I wonder if someone on this planet did NOT like them?
As funny and as addictive as Lemmings!

Bubble Bobble was great and was dead easy to convert to any format as it wasn't exactly the most hardware demaning game in the world.  Proof that good gameplay doesn't necessarily need eye candy.

New Zealand Story drove me nuts....  The irritating soundtrack was too much, as was my inability to get further than level 2!

As you can imagine, I am a BIG MAME fan but...

Many games are unplayable on my 060@50+AGA. Would having a Mediator and a GFX card improve my situation drastically?

Yep...  Haven't tried Amiga MAME though, so can't comment on how it runs on an Amiga, but a Mediator & Voodoo would give a huge increase in speed to your system.

Also, there are some sountracks I LOVE and I would love to have on MP3...

Magical Sound Shower and Splash Wave...  For those who haven't guessed already they're tunes from Outrun.

Does anyone know where I can get them from?
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 03:40:49 PM »

@PMC

Muhahaha! I went further than the second level in NZS! ;-P

Yeah bet I could whup your ass on Turrican II though! LOL :-)

Go for the Mediator & add ons, you won't regret it.  Not sure how your Amiga will travel, don't you guys have a different system to PAL or NTSC over there?  Then you've got to get a 220v PSU...  But don't let that put you off.

As for the OutRun soundtrack... I got them! ;-)
On my Ammy.
In France... :-P

Have found them on the Outrun.org site! Many thanks Jupp3 for that!

I now want to go home early from work, burn a CD of Magical Sound Shower and Splash Wave and play them whilst driving my (bright red) Alfa Romeo flat out with some token blonde in the passenger seat!

Happy days :-D
Cecilia for President