Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another try: Future of Amiga? (yes AMIGA only)  (Read 1865 times)

Description:

Offline TheJackal

• Show only replies by TheJackal
Re: Another try: Future of Amiga? (yes AMIGA only)
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 27, 2003, 10:15:42 AM »

original post by lempkee on 2003/10/27 9:35:16

give os4 a proper SDK/NDK and it will have a future , what is avail atm aint enough to attract people to develop for it , lets hope amiga doesnt do the same mistake AGAIN!

easy dev tools and powerfull enough to use crosscompiled stuff, thats the trick!

imagine how easy it would be for a big devteam to just compile an os4 exe? , imagine how fast it would be done, they wont loose time and they would have a bigger market now if Aos had a proper Default tool.

ok...i am dreaming...but i guess u all know what i mean :D

I agree. My thoughts are OS4 could start things really rolling so long as there is a good developer environment. That is a reliable and good compiler, and *most* importantly good API documentation. The amount of time I waste looking for that cryptic Win32 call, or small print is amazing:destroy:.

An IDE would also be benificial, or at the very least a tool to help create and manage makefiles, compiler settings etc.

\\"Don\\\'t make me dance,.... You wouldn\\\'t like me when I dance.\\" - The Hulk

Offline IonDeluxe

• Show only replies by IonDeluxe
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2003, 02:11:20 PM »
Amiga DE is going to be integral to the AmigaOS, so on amiga machines you wont be running such programs in amiga De on top of another OS. As I understand it, amigga DE has, or will have java support as well as many other languages.
The reason why you would develop for CPE is obvious, you only have to write the software once to have it available across many hardware and operating systems which saves valueable time and resources in porting said software. It means you have a bigger potential customer base to sell that software to, which translates to bigger sales.

AmigaDE and AmigaOS at this time are seperate entities, but the roadmap described many times over has Amiga DE being integrated with the OS which means the OS SDK will eventually cover Amiga DE as well.It is also my understanding that Amiga DE is where all the AG2 technology is being developed and with its integration with OS4 will bring that technology to the OS culminating with OS5 when all hardware dependancies are eliminated.
Anyway, to answer your questions briefly: Larger available customer base without the need to port your applications, it is not restricted to Only java, but can make use of many different styles and languages,and it is capable of running large complext programs depending on what the hardware it is running on is capable of.

Anyway, I have two points for you to consider:
1. Even if DE turns out not to be all that much better than java, it at least has the potential to attract some developers to it that would otherwise have zero intrest in the Amiga platform thereby gaining software support for the Amiga by default.Even if it is only stuff like an IRC client or nifty mps3 player it adds to the platform.
2. If Amiga DE is simply not going to be capable enough for these larger type programs, or burdensome to develop these programs for and so on, then the fundamental design as the base for OS5 is flawed and doomed to failure.WHile it is possible for the guys at AMiga Inc to have made such a blunder, many of them have been at the very least extremely competant and in this development for quite a while. Surely even if they had not noticed this flaw, then the guys at Hyperion working on OS4 surely would have as they are building the other half.

While I agree that an SDK as you have described is essential, and we have been assured that this will be provided at some point, the nicest development platform in the galaxy is not going to get major software houses to develop for a platform that only has a few thousand people as userbase.At best we may get some ports, but even that is difficult to make a profit on as I am sure the Hyperion guys will tell you.

I am no programmer, so I really cant give you the nitty gritty you desire.However, the intrest it has atracted from such companies as Sharp, Nokia, Sendo, and even microsoft and Genesi says there has to be something to this DE thing. I may not like Genesi, but those guys are no-ones fools and it seems to me the long running dispute between Genesi and Amiga Inc would make it less likely that Genesi would want Amiga DEas it would end up helping Amiga Inc if Genesi did get it ported to thier platform.

Maybe you ae right, maybe I am being overly enthusiastic abut it, but on the other hand, maybe I am not.

I\\\'d post something satirical, but I\\\'m afraid it might get used as genuine evidence in the Thendic Amiga trial!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2003, 02:27:48 PM »

This isn't MorphOS bashing, its just realistic. Developers will start coding for MorphOS' Q-box, which is essentially no longer Amiga (granted, ExecSG isn't the same as the old core, but it does retain the original design structure if I'm not mistaken, i.e. the scheduler and so forth).

Then I feel you are mistaken... Since Both AROS and MorphOS have the Original design structure...
Whereas OS4 provides a new library calling mechanism, in an attempt to move the AmigaOS away from Jumptable based libraries,  to a DLL style link library system.

This is not a bad thing at all, but something to remember before one gets all sentimental about this.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2003, 09:28:15 PM »
I belive in Eyetech, Amiga Inc and Hyperion.

(snipped by mikeymike)

I tried both  OS4 and MorphOS so i can have my opinion.

- edit by mikeymike: yeah, but the troll comments aren't necessary -

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2003, 09:31:51 PM »
It took MorphOS and the chance of someone else making money from the Amiga user base to finally spur development of OS4. In the interim, this is a good thing for all of us, as competition always results in the consumer winning. In the long term however, it will, as predicted, drive a wedge between the userbase until either:

I would totally agree on this, if the userbase was of a bigger size... Much harder for both pegasos and amiga to survive when the small userbase is splitted into even smaller userbases...

Offline Acill

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2003, 09:44:08 PM »
Well as I see it, things are not looking good. In fact I would say it looks grim. I love the Amiga, and I am sure I will for a long time to come. I never left, and I have kept the faith for a long time. Here is what I see.

1. Amiga Inc is sitting on the sidelines and letting others do the work for them, giving little to nothing to aid in the return.

2. If the Amiga One system doesnt get OS4 soon, and then get those systems in the big shops all is lost! We have to see something in the shops like CompUSA, Sears, Fry's Elecrtonics ect...

3. This is a huge one. MorphOS and the Pegasos has a huge head start on the Amiga. Pwople are jumoing in and not looking back. Sure porting to Os4 may or may not be to hard to do, but they need to get the ball rolling now before it get totaly out of hand.

3. Amiga One hardware needs to be updated to a more modern spec. At least get it to the level of the Pegasos! I mean who the heck still wants to buy PC100 RAM????

These are just a few of my thoughts. I still plan to get both systems when OS4 comes at last.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 09:56:30 PM »
OS4 will help a lot especially with those security measures implemented--seriously!   :-)
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net