Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A bright future for Amiga?  (Read 3662 times)

Description:

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
Re: A bright future for Amiga?
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 26, 2003, 05:47:48 PM »
Well, in the future MS look certain to lock-out non-MS OS's from the x86 (and successor) series hardware!

The Terron/AmigaOne PPCs are the biggest-selling non-Mac PPC hardware! Don't forget that the motherboard can be bought cheaper for purely Linux running!

The motherboard/system prices will come down as production runs >10,000 occur!

India and China are going to be the fastest growing IT markets, and its fairly certain that non-MS answers will be eagerly sought out!
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline DaveC

• Show only replies by DaveC
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2003, 05:59:11 PM »
@Starglider

Oh, the future of Amiga without MorphOS?  Sorry, MorphOS *IS* the future for the AmigaOS applications and community.  There are three choices:
1) AROS
2) MorphOS
3) You can post about how bright the future is for OS4, and never actually *be* part of any future at all.

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2003, 06:01:08 PM »

Acill wrote:
I think it may be a good thing on the way. Amiga Inc. needs to ship OS4 with new machines ASAP. They need to get these into the big stores like CompUSA and Fry's electronics again though ASAP.  Its all fine and good that internet sites have loads of information ion them, but remember this: People on the internet are using something else to get them to those sites about the new Amiga! They better find something better to get them off that machine they are using.

You have to be realistic about current market conditions.
Giant retailers such as these would do their 'due dilligence' and properly research the business dealings of AmigaInc. I don't think that they would be very impressed.

I doubt AmigaInc have any credibility left for retailers like CompUSA or Fry's to even want to touch anything Amiga related.

Maybe Mai Logic can make use of their Californian office to bail out AmigaInc? It is their product, they should support it in the USA, right?

Offline NicoPPC

• Show only replies by NicoPPC
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2003, 06:09:22 PM »

lempkee wrote:
nico: and who made so many leave amiga in the first place ?  PHASE 5/DCE!  , they produced so much crap in the ppc sector that people lost interests and moved away!.

Phase 5 made a lot a stuff for the Amiga. Like the CyberVision Series, the CyberStorm series or the Blizzard Series.
Phase 5 brang PPC to the Amiga.

This is my opinion, but you are free to give you argument.

amigaos4 will RULE! , when it comes..

I don't think so. Did you read the AmigaOS 4 architecture article on os.amiga.com ?

sure pegasos 2 is interesting, sure morphos is interesting, but linux/windows/mac  AINT! , the most insteresting is OS4! ,the single reason why i stayed on amiga.. THE OS and the stuff around it.

Take a moment to figure out, and you will notice, I think, that MorphOS is THE AmigaOS Next Generation.

amiga has a bright future? , YES is my answer.

In my own opinion, maybe, but with MorphOS.

I don't really want to make another huge OS4 vs MOS troll thread. Just want to debate in peace :-)
So please not flame, just opinion and arguement !

I think, it's good to debate but bad to troll.

Offline NicoPPC

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2003, 06:12:12 PM »

The Terron/AmigaOne PPCs are the biggest-selling non-Mac PPC hardware! Don't forget that the motherboard can be bought cheaper for purely Linux running!

Humm, I don't think so.
In my opinion, it's the Pegasos. But noone can't be sure, has noone as the good "number".

Futhermore, the Teron CX/AmigaOne had, and certainly still have big hardware problem.

bye

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2003, 06:16:33 PM »

DaveC wrote:
@Starglider

Oh, the future of Amiga without MorphOS?  Sorry, MorphOS *IS* the future for the AmigaOS applications and community.  There are three choices:
1) AROS
2) MorphOS
3) You can post about how bright the future is for OS4, and never actually *be* part of any future at all.

Yeah, you are perfectly right, while the rest of us OS4 supporters are totally dumb... you know everything, while we dont know a ####....

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2003, 06:22:42 PM »

NicoPPC wrote:
A bright future for the Amiga ?

Maybe, but only trough MorphOS

Bye

QNX on Pegasos might be a better solution than MorphOS. I'd certainly prefer QNX over Linux :-D

OS4 on a Pegasos II would be interesting...

Offline NicoPPC

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2003, 06:27:19 PM »

Darth_X wrote:

NicoPPC wrote:

Bye

QNX on Pegasos might be a better solution than MorphOS. I'd certainly prefer QNX over Linux :-D

I was spaking of the Amiga future.
I only tested QNX once on a x86. I don't really have an opinion about it, but a lot of people say it's a good OS.

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2003, 06:30:39 PM »

Brianew wrote:
   But, if I want the look and feel of an Amiga, but can't have an Amiga, why would I choose MorphOS over AmigaForever?   Especially if AmigaForever runs the same software and faster?  Sure it's not PPC but I don't care I get more performance and a much greater performance/$ so what's the overriding factor to choose MorphOS?
But exactly the same can be said about AmigaForever versus OS4!

I don't understand what extra special property AmigaOS 4 will have. To suggest that MorphOS is comparable to AmigaForever is absurd - the latter is an emulator that runs on an OS that's not at all related to the Amiga. MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 are/will be native PPC OSs that run Amiga software through emulation, or natively if recompiled for the new OS, and I believe both OSs are supposed to be very similar to AmigaOS 3.x.

At the end of the day, one has to compare *all* solutions, and pick the best that is best for them. I don't see how somehow AmigaOS 4 will be exempt from comparisons with WinUAE.

So if I limit myself to the two options you provided:
Amiga Logo OR Look feel via MorphOS.   I'd have to pick the Amiga Logo.    I already have look feel it's AmigaForever running software quicker then MorphOS.
I've got some stickers with the Amiga Logo on them, I think they were given away in Amiga Format a few years ago. Want me to post them to you, so you can stick on your machine of choice and have both speed and logo? ;)

(And for the record, I use WinUAE - but I choose it over both MorphOS, and any OS that Amiga Inc might produce in future).

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2003, 06:35:48 PM »
@vortexau

But that's not an AmigaOne. It's just a Teron board. To call it an AmigaOne it must come with AmigaOS4, as that is part of the licensing conditions. Furthermore, the last time I saw any statement from Eyetech about that, Alan said he was not making any non-AmigaOne boards available for sale until further notice.

Besides, I thought no sale figures were available? Or are we just basing all that on various claims made by certain companies?
Bill Hoggett

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2003, 06:41:17 PM »
its very simple

you got I would say 4 groups

MorphOS - Users

AmigaOS4 - Waiters

Classic Amiga - Users

Aros - Users

there may be a fifth group 'generic trolls" but thats not been exposed yet :)

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2003, 06:48:39 PM »

NicoPPC wrote:

Bye
[/quote]

Muahahaha! Lamma lamer mania eh NicoPPC.

A bight future for the Mercedes?

Maybe, but only trough Sting.

My post has more sense than your  :roflmao:

Why i am positive? Why be negative? In the past years was wrost... now we have new Amiga, a kick.ass OS4 soon.... I can't see the reasons to be negative..... maybe all the trolls out there makes me be negative sometimes :roll:

Offline Im>bE

• Show only replies by Im>bE
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalChaosTheGame
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2003, 06:58:48 PM »
Nyash.. not sure...

either way,
68k 060 AGA will still
be my goooood gooooooooood friend.

Hopelessly addicted to the world\'s best strategy game.
Total Chaos on YouTube

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2003, 07:00:32 PM »
- edit - Nah, screw it.  There's so many mindless troll/fanboy/childish comments here already, I can't be bothered to continue watching the tone get progressively lowered.

Thread locked.

Offline NicoPPC

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2003, 07:09:00 PM »

ikir wrote:

Muahahaha! Lamma lamer mania eh NicoPPC.

Please no troll, debate. I can't see any good debate in that sentence.

My post has more sense than your  :roflmao:

Yes, I can see that in all the argument you gave.

Why i am positive? Why be negative? In the past years was wrost... now we have new Amiga, a kick.ass OS4 soon....

How can you make an opinion on an OS without using it daily ?

I'm a daily Linux user, I have an opinion about Linux
I'm a daily Windows user ! (sad !), I have an opinion.
I'm a daily MorphOS user, I have an opinion.

For the other OS, I look into architecture description, commentes form user ...
I can't really see any interresting stuff in AmigaOS4 compare to MorphOS ATM.

You can prefer OS4 over MorphOS. But, give me some arguments, please, no trol

Bye

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2003, 07:15:03 PM »
Phase 5 made a lot a stuff for the Amiga. Like the CyberVision Series, the CyberStorm series or the Blizzard Series.
Phase 5 brang PPC to the Amiga.

This is my opinion, but you are free to give you argument.

Yes, they did bring PPC to Amiga users.  At a price that was so high (around $1200 USD just for a PPC accellerator) that never really decreased in price, and most Amiga users could never afford, or simply refused to pay.  More for an accellerator than whole systems were costing at the time.  

And the $289.00 graphic card that was based on several years old graphic chip that PC owners were able to buy for $50!   So when anyone wants to talk about how much the cost of an AmigaOne is, remember those points.  And look at the cost even to this day of a DCE built 233MHz CS/PPC (around $900 USD)  Rediculous!  If I'm going to spend $900, you better bet that it's going to be a complete motherboard with at least a half way modern cpu that can take modern graphic cards and such, and not have to be put into a custom $300 case.

Take a moment to figure out, and you will notice, I think, that MorphOS is THE AmigaOS Next Generation.

It absolutely cannot be... it doesn't have the Amiga source code to build upon.  It's no more AmigaOS than BeOS is AmigaOS.  It can only ever be an Amiga "alike" OS.  Sorry.  Unless, of course, Genesi buys out Amiga, and renames MOS, but even then, IMO, it would not be AmigaOS, but something like it.

For my 2 cents... Yes, I think Amiga (proper) has a good future.  But only time will tell.  And BTW, I don't agree, I would like to see OS4 running on the Pegasos II.  

Healthy competition could lower costs and stimulate sales and advancements in hardware.  So it could benefit both OS4 and MOS users, give Hyperion a wider audience, and Genesi more hardware sales.

North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!