Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A bright future for Amiga?  (Read 3663 times)

Description:

Offline restore2003Topic starter

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
A bright future for Amiga?
« on: October 26, 2003, 08:54:52 AM »
The rumours of OS4.0 and A1 has spread cross the internet, more and more lost Amiga users keep coming back, the memberlist of amiga.org and other sites keep growing, and everybody`s expectations are at highest level....

Has the snowball just started to roll?
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
Re: A bright future for Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 10:09:40 AM »
I think thats the plan :-)

Hopefully it wont be too long heh
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 10:47:19 AM »
restore2003 wrote:
... Has the snowball just started to roll? ...

In my honest and very humble opinion, no. Not in the sense that it creates a devastating avalanche. It might create a sphere large enough to make a snowman out of, though :-). I wish both offspring the very best in their (admittedly daring and far from dull) adventure, and hope that they will gain a status other than 'fringy', 'geeky' and 'nostalgic'.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 10:55:45 AM »
Looking at the numbers of users coming in, and those getting more and more
comfortable with WinXP/OSX/Linux, I would say it is +/-0 at best ....

How many of those coming in, com in expecting a "new Amiga" ?
You know something capable of running their old games (outside UAE that is),
something affordable with HW including a big "wow" ?

How many of those will be ready to live with just RTG-SW ? SW they often never
used back in their days ? How many will be prepared to spit out >1000Euro (full sys) ?

Sorry,but there simple must be much more than is offered by both sides atm
to make a dent in the desktop-market.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 10:58:53 AM »
Depends a lot what (and when) can be offered to them. Both on hardware
and software.

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 11:20:19 AM »

NO

Sorry, but there are too many negative factors in the Amiga market right now to stifle anything BIG from happening.

Now if there was a change and a complete turn-around from AmigaInc, such as better co-operation from management or new management....

Offline Gopal

• Show only replies by Gopal
    • http://ami-tron.org
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 12:28:41 PM »

YES

Sorry, but there are too many negative people in the Amiga market right now to make it clear that something BIG is happening.

Babelbabbel blabbelbladdel bubbel babbel co-operation babbel.

[edit: fixed babbel]
retronerd.net

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 12:45:42 PM »
[color=FFCC33]YES[/color][/b]

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2003, 12:47:37 PM »

Kronos wrote:

How many of those will be ready to live with just RTG-SW ? SW they often never used back in their days ?

That's the sad truth of the matter. 70-80% of the software that made me love the Amiga so much has no chance of running on new Amiga hardware without UAE.

In the end, all that's left for me on a new Amiga platform is the OS and maybe a hacked version of SoundStudio...

:-(

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2003, 01:10:23 PM »
Hey Gopal and Ikir, its great to see a positive attitude towards the situation.

What makes a bright future possible for Amiga at this point in time?

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2003, 01:30:02 PM »
@Darth_X

What makes a bright future possible for Amiga at this point in time?

Don't be silly. You're supposed to jump up and down cheering and clapping, not being negative and asking questions. I mean, come on! If everyone asked questions where would we be?
Bill Hoggett

Offline restore2003Topic starter

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2003, 01:36:09 PM »
Yea, atleast there is something going on now, after years of empty dreams and broken promises  ;-)

And there is nothing wrong with moving away from the past(software)
If its gonna succeed it is the only way
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline Acill

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2003, 01:40:08 PM »
I think it may be a good thing on the way. Amiga Inc. needs to ship OS4 with new machines ASAP. They need to get these into the big stores like CompUSA and Fry's electronics again though ASAP.  Its all fine and good that internet sites have loads of information ion them, but remember this: People on the internet are using something else to get them to those sites about the new Amiga! They better find something better to get them off that machine they are using.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Gopal

• Show only replies by Gopal
    • http://ami-tron.org
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2003, 02:10:27 PM »
It´s a couple of things that make me feel that the future is brighter for alternative desktops.

1. First of all there is the rise of linux, linux will run just as well on PPC (We got IBM on our side here, and "the greates" distro, Debian, is allready running ;).

2. Then there is the DRM issue, Intel and microsoft will implement features on motherboards and in software that take controll over your computer. Not total control, just to check if you got copied software, music or movies and stuff. And maybe to check if you overclocked your cpu? This will really scare linux/bsd people (and a lot of other geeks) away from x86 and over to other platforms.

3. Have you ever bought a copy of Windows? Or at least taken a look at the pricetag? Or noticed how much more each new edition costs? (in norway prices almost doubles for each new windows release).

4.  "the second computer" it´s a market where you see machines like Via C3 mini-itx and maybe Amiga/Pegasos in near future. They don´t have to be faster than light to play divX or mp3, surf the web or write a mail. It´s for your mom or dad if you are tired of being their windows support guy.

5. And last but not least. Have u seen the lastest stuff from AInc. and Genesis? It´s just as cool looking as BeOS and MacOS. And looks matter. I know a couple of mac converters, not powerusers. They did it ´cous of the looks and feel of the MacOS and machines.

And now some more babbel...
I have given the genesis/Ainc situation a really good thought. And I am not sure whats best for the community and the amiga market. Ainc. alone? Or Ainc and Genesis together. They fight over a small market, but a monopoly drives the prices up.
I have no conclution other than that I like innovation. AmigaOs is about innovation, MorphOS is still playing catch up (never invented a feature thats not allready in another OS as far as I know). For the "alternative OS scene" a new addition (morphOS) is allways welcome. If AmigaOS was dead i´d love MorphOS and propably be a blind follower.
retronerd.net

Offline IonDeluxe

• Show only replies by IonDeluxe
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2003, 02:49:47 PM »
Could not agree with you more.
Personally I think we need more companies making a PPC based computer.
ALot of people are worried about what microsoft is doing, or at least trying to do and alot of people want something that can fulfill thier needs, but the options are not really there, except for Macs, and in Australia at least, the price for the machine is simply prohibitive, and that does not include changeover software.
Many companies/governments are looking for viable alternatives to M$ products, and not just the operating system. The license fees are also continuing to climb as M$ tries to squeeze more money out of thier monopoly.
OS4, OS/2 warp linux and morphos could fill this particular need.(as a point of intrest I was using os/2 long before win95 came out and it was great once I learned how to use it. How windows ever dominated that os is a mystery to me, but I am sure some kind of shenanigans were involved)

With this move away from windows a need will arise for a system that developers can use so the can sell thier software across multiple OS's. AMiga DE can be this solution if it can ever reach its full potential.That coupled with an OS that will purportedly be hardware agnostic is a powerful combination, but must be done in the next 2 or 3 years. Windows already is trying to push into the PPC market with such things as Windows on Mac which I saw the other day in my local chain store.

I also think the home C is morphing into the home entertainment and information center of the household.With a tv/radio tuner card I personally will no longer have any need for my seperat DVD, tv, stereo, surround sound video recorder.My PC will fullfill all thos functions, and as it is networked, can supply those needs to any portion of my home.

Amiga Inc. vision of the digital environment fits extremely well with how computer equipment is evolving in my home, and a system that exploits that evolution will be a winner with a great number of people.

What was said above is right though. Looks Count.
Not just in the OS, but in the equipment itself. The tower box needs to go, replaced with an entertainment system look, feel and ease of use.Or even if the tower is placed in its own cupboard somewhere quietly serving many interfaces around the home such as the gameboy, console, the dvd/video feed to the TV, controlling your air conditionor or whatever with built in network cabling much like normal electrical wiring is done today is really just a matter of preferance.
Computers are evolving in this direction, everyone knows it on some level, they just don't realize it. All that is left to do is for our platform to exploit and be the first there so it can set the standard while everyone else plays catch up.

Hell even Commodore realized this back in the 80/90's and that resulted in the CDTV.Too bad they were marketing dunces or they truely could have taken over the world as it were.

I\\\'d post something satirical, but I\\\'m afraid it might get used as genuine evidence in the Thendic Amiga trial!