Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 1559 times)

Description:

Offline TheJackalTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheJackal
I'm new
« on: October 23, 2003, 01:51:55 PM »
Hi,
   Well the title says it all! :-D

I have an A1200 shoved into a tower with a PPC card, (blizzard?? I cant quite remember) with a 68040@33/44Mhz??? and 46MB of ram + 4GB HD.

Anyhow the sad fact was just after I shoved it into a tower, I stopped using it. This was due to my job as a programmer (games) been more PC centric. After all I think we can all admit the Amiga went a "bit south" in the mid-late 90's  :-(

Now I I keep "touching base" every so often and it *seems* something might be happening to pull Amiga out of the pits, namely OS4 running on hardware other than classical Amigas.

So in the future when OS4 get released and some easy to use hardware, (i.e. out-of-the-box install OS and away you go), I'd consider wasting some of my money on such a system. (waste as in hobby etc).

However I'd like to know what specs I can expect? I don't expect a HalfLife2 @60fps type machine, but something that can do nice resolutions (1024x768x32bit @60hz or better). Since when I turn on my A1200T once in a blue moon the low res(640x512) make my eyes bleed  :-D

Also been a programmer I was wonder will there be available good c/c++ compilers/ide's along with OS4 /gfx sdk? I find nothing more annoying than command line tools that are "cryptic" to use. (I have had to use many in my line of work on consoles). A simple nice IDE and compiler that isnt to expensive coupled with clear sdk documentation would encorage many people to at least "dabble" in the Amiga. (assuming the hardware isnt exorbiantly expensive!)

Oh and why are the OS4 screenshots so but ugly? If I could make scheme up who could I send it to? (I dont have any web space of my own).

Thanks for listening (well reading :-D) to my mad ramblings. The Amiga has special memories for me, lets hope the OS4+ can regain what has been lost.

Thanks
Mark.

PS: How/where do you upload avitars to.

\\"Don\\\'t make me dance,.... You wouldn\\\'t like me when I dance.\\" - The Hulk

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
Re: I'm new
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 01:58:01 PM »
Welcome!

(1024x768x32bit @60hz or better). Since when I turn on my A1200T once in a blue moon the low res(640x512) make my eyes bleed  :-D

My Amiga 4000 has a Voodoo 3, and my workbench is 1280x960 in 24bit. Considering the AmigaONE and OS4 will support much newer cards, you won't be disappointed there.

Also been a programmer I was wonder will there be available good c/c++ compilers/ide's along with OS4 /gfx sdk?

There are rumours of the StormC IDE being ported to OS4. Actually confirmed are native ports of GCC and VBCC. The OS4 GCC port is supposed to be much easier to set up, use and maintain than the geek gadgets environment.

coupled with clear sdk documentation would encorage many people to at least "dabble" in the Amiga. (assuming the hardware isnt exorbiantly expensive!)

Olaf Barthal is, I believe, working on this. Time will tell, of course.

Oh and why are the OS4 screenshots so but ugly? If I could make scheme up who could I send it to? (I dont have any web space of my own).

Huh? I think the recent ones look great. In fact, I stole some of the design for my A4000s OS3.9 workbench.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Kees

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 02:00:25 PM »
Welcome to Amiga.org  :-)
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 02:12:24 PM »
Welcome to Amiga.org!  Enjoy your stay!!  :-)
Michael

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 02:16:18 PM »
Welcome to Amiga.org!!

PS: How/where do you upload avitars to

Click on View your account at the upper left corner of the screen. You have the option of uploading your avatar in there!
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline jd997uk

• Show only replies by jd997uk
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 02:18:38 PM »
@TheJackal

Greetings!!

Since OS4 supports the ATI Radeon, I'd expect that kind of resolution and up.

Edit:
@@@Red@@@@ Beat me to the Avatar answer. My fault for trying to type while eating a HUGE jacket potato :-D :-D :-D

As for Avatars, click on the [color=FF0033]View Your Account[/color] link in the top left corner. You'll see the Upload my Avatar button. The Max pix and Byte sizes are on that page.

-john
Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 03:06:16 PM »
Since OS4 supports the ATI Radeon, I'd expect that kind of resolution and up.

Good to hear, and since you can get those cards quite cheap, double yay!

Click on View your account at the upper left corner of the screen. You have the option of uploading your avatar in there!

Lhlhmldml (me making spadick sound) silly me, should use my eyes more often!  :-D I used one of my own drawings that I did years ago in Dpaint5 :-P

Huh? I think the recent ones look great. In fact, I stole some of the design for my A4000s OS3.9 workbench.

Actually that one looks fine, it was some others I saw that where, "OMG, my eyes, save my eyes dear lord"  :-D

There are rumours of the StormC IDE being ported to OS4. Actually confirmed are native ports of GCC and VBCC. The OS4 GCC port is supposed to be much easier to set up, use and maintain than the geek gadgets environment.

Well an easy way in the mean time would be to do what happens for developing for PS2/Xbox/etc. You use the PC (ducks for sharp objects been thrown!) and MSDev, all that you need is to supply a compiler that will integrate with it. Then compile the program, and download the resulting binaries to the Amiga.

Oh and when is directx going to be supported  :-D  (thats a joke btw!)

\\"Don\\\'t make me dance,.... You wouldn\\\'t like me when I dance.\\" - The Hulk

Offline xeron

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 03:13:09 PM »

TheJackal wrote:
Actually that one looks fine, it was some others I saw that where, "OMG, my eyes, save my eyes dear lord"  :-D

Don't worry, the default scheme is going to use that blue/grey gradient look of the more recent pictures. The hideous technicolour vomit shots are the product one of the OS4 developers who is presumably colourblind ;-)

Well an easy way in the mean time would be to do what happens for developing for PS2/Xbox/etc. You use the PC (ducks for sharp objects been thrown!)

Hyperion already have cross-compiling versions of GCC that generate native OS4 binaries running under Linux and Windows, as well as the native version.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 03:34:42 PM »

Now I I keep "touching base" every so often and it *seems* something might be happening to pull Amiga out of the pits, namely OS4 running on hardware other than classical Amigas.

Keep an eye out for the AROS project:

www.aros.org

That might be up your street as a games dev...

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 03:40:05 PM »
;-) bloodline stats

1,137 posts
1,082 AROS plugs :-D

Welcome to Amiga.org TheJackal :-)

Offline xeron

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 04:00:09 PM »
I don't wish to put AROS down, as I think its a great project, but why would it be suited to a games dev? Does it have 3D acceleration yet? USB joypad/racing wheel/joystick support?

I can't see why it would particularily appeal to game devs in its current state.

(and, I know, at least you can get it now, etc.)

Offline NicoPPC

• Show only replies by NicoPPC
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 04:09:32 PM »
Hi and Welcome !

I just want to point that there is an alternative to the OS4. As you
are "back" you may don't know it.

There is MorphOS and the Pegasos.
But what's that ??!!!

Pegasos: MicroATX PowerPC motherboard designed by bPlan (ex Phase 5).
Rev1: use the ArticiaS chipset with a patch named April.
For some reasons, bPlan decided to choose another chip named "Marvell
Discovery II" for the Pegasos II which is about to be release.
the Pegasos II feature are nearly the same than the Peg I but
- faster RAM (DDR)
- working NB
- Gb Ethernet
- faster NB
more info: http://www.pegasosppc.com

MorphOS: It's a new PowerPC OS. It's made by amiga fan and former
phase 5 team. It's already working and ship with Pegasos computer.
From an user point of view, it really looks like to the AmigaOS but
much nicer (32bit deskop, skinable ...), moreover you don't need any
patch.
more info: http://www.morphos.net
you can find screenshot on www.aps.fr/morphos/ and on
http://www.morphzone.org

Genesi: It's the company which design, make and distributed the
Pegasos computer and develop MorphOS.

I hope to have been clear.
About 3D gaming: Well, would be nice to play to HL2! Give me the
sources and I spent all my time night and day to port it !!!
But in the meantime, I can play to Quake II in 1024*768 at 60 fps on
my Pegasos I with a Voodoo 3 on MorphOS. (not bad !!).

Feel free to ask more question about it if you wish

Bye

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 04:59:45 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies guys.

I don't wish to put AROS down, as I think its a great project, but why would it be suited to a games dev? Does it have 3D acceleration yet? USB joypad/racing wheel/joystick support?

Well I doubt I'd be writting games if anything it would be tools, apps. Dunno really, probably just mess around. Since to develop any reasonable game you need *alot* of resources. (artists, asset tools, time :-) )

I just want to point that there is an alternative to the OS4. As you
are "back" you may don't know it.

But what's that ??!!!

I gather there are different factions that have gone their own way, and of course the ensuing "Mines better than yours" stuff happens. I can't comment on which is best/value for money etc.  However OS4 if it turns out all right might reunite, I dunno. I'm still waiting and seeing at the moment!

I hope to have been clear.
About 3D gaming: Well, would be nice to play to HL2! Give me the
sources and I spent all my time night and day to port it !!!

Steady! you dont want to end up coding it from a prison cell! :-D

What I wonder about is all the support apps users expect of a modern computer system. PDF/AVI/.. viewers, printer support, usb 2, calculator, internet  and so on. I hope

Oh I've knocked up a picture of what I think would be a nice colour scheme for WB.  Would it be ok to stick it in "Image-o-Matic"? Or would that be considered rude?

Final though: What we need is not OS4, but OS-9000, and the cool sound effects to go with it:-D.

Offline xeron

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 05:06:22 PM »
Well, if you're looking to develop for a future AmigaOS or clone, feel free to ask here about any of the solutions, theres a bunch of developers on here. If you want to ask technical questions about a specific system, the developers of OS4 hang out on Amigaworld.net, and i'm sure there are a bunch of MorphOS developers at morphzone.org.

As for the factions, its not as bad as you'd think. In real life, we all pretty much get along, but web forums can get heated and seem like a war zone, mostly due to a minority of idiots.

I see you're in the UK. Well, we're organising an OS4 on tour date in a month or so, where you can come along and try it for yourself. That is, if you can get down to the south west...

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2003, 05:14:41 PM »
But what's that ??!!!

That made me think about the homeshopping channel...  :-o  :-D
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~