Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.0 68k  (Read 2217 times)

Description:

Offline sdesros

• Show only replies by sdesros
    • http://www.501st.ca/
Re: AmigaOS 4.0 68k
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 22, 2003, 05:47:07 PM »
I also see your point, but it's when they start complaining that things arn't getting ported to 68K, and games that are quite system intensive run like ass on their machines.

Perhaps, but you also need to consider the people running Amithlon/Amiga Forever and/or other forms of Emulation (including the Coldfire upgrade).  A 68k DivX movie player might not make sense on a real 68K processor, but can be quite useful for people using emulation.
Steph

Offline Reynolds

• Show only replies by Reynolds
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2003, 05:51:30 PM »
@JoNty

I think you're right. Retro feeling is one thing - "evolution" with the other platforms is an other. If someone wants OS4, there will be the new motherboards, and for the retrocomputing the old machines are extremely cheap. I see no reason to want the new OS on a Classic Amiga - the performance and knowledge of those hardware elements are enough for the applications of that time... :-)

We must step forward now...

Reynolds

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2003, 01:52:00 PM »
cold fire upgrade? wtf?

it has been my general thought (please correct if wrong) that the coldfire line was a cut down (CRISC)version of the full 68k line, so being able to at 200Mhz is all well and good for coldfire native applications, but when it comes to emulating instructions the chip doesn't have, if you have to waste 20 clock cycles to emulate 1 68040 cycle, then its like "and the point is?" if you are going to use an accelerator upgrade that emulates a 680x0. why not use something with a decent instruction list and a good turn of speed.

(i don't know what speeds the coldfire line runs at i only picked those numbers out of the air)
(all thoughts and comments are strictly my own as no-one wants to pay the license fee)

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2003, 02:45:39 PM »
@JoNty

People could have their reasons on not upgrading...
I for an example simply doesn't have the funds to upgrade, but that doesn't make me an "Amiga Killer" does it? -No...

I see your point in some being fanatic to the classic models but c'mon there's so few of them really...

@All

I noticed, -when AOS on tour hitted DK-, That the guy showing the OS runned it on 68k and  really don't recall he had an accelerator in it? -I'm quite sure on this... It was slow as #### but it was more stabile than the PPC version shown at the same event...

But OS4 is PPC only in the end as all of you mentioned already...

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2003, 03:52:00 PM »
I hate those hardcore classic Amiga hardware gimps who absolutely refuse to upgrade to anything better than a 060. They're normally ignorant, sentimental morons who have no real reason why it's better not to upgrade. They have absolutely no idea that they're actually helping to kill the Amiga off.

Without saying you're completely wrong on this issue, and altough there are and always be 'hardcore classic Amiga Geeks', you seem to forguet that you can have 68k speeds way beyhond 50Mhz, making it usefull at least for *uae users and Amithlon users. This alone could make it an interesting product

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2003, 04:02:16 PM »
@dani:
no OS4 was shown for 68k... it was only the 3.9 kernel with some modules recompiled... one of the great advantages of OS4 is the new memory management etc... you wouldn't take any advantage of that. Do you see WindowsXP released for 386@40Mhz? no? why should Hyperion support a DEAD cpu family? the effort of supporting CyberstormPPC/BlizzardPPC is smaller because you already have access to the same CPU... and the PPC family isn't dead.

Nah, PPC is the way to go. Let the 68k rest in peace...

I agree with Jonty... I remember that A500 users caused a lot of harm because they refused to upgrade to A1200, that caused that many games and programs weren't ported to Amiga.

And companies like vulcan that released A500 games in the late 90' looked so pathetic... as it happened in the peecee, when people saw what a fast Amiga could do they started upgrading (I remember people upgrading their miggys with the aim of running games like quake or doom (and warcraft2 in shapeshifter))
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)