Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.0 68k  (Read 2215 times)

Description:

Offline DaNiTopic starter

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
AmigaOS 4.0 68k
« on: October 20, 2003, 07:15:08 PM »
hi! i am not beta tester of this new os but i have a 68060 overclocked at 80mhz and i like this beta for compare speeds and rendiment on 68k but i dont found any people for help me :(
thanks to all and amiga roolz =)
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
Re: AmigaOS 4.0 68k
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 07:18:54 PM »
Wouldn't do you any good. For AOS 4.0 to run on a classic machine, it needs to have a PPC accelerator.

The last version of AOS to support the 680x0 chips is 3.9.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 07:21:29 PM »
While quite a few OS4 modules were beta tested on 68k machines, the core of OS4 has always been, and will only ever run on PowerPC.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline DaNiTopic starter

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 07:28:54 PM »
i dont mencioned the os4 ppc native, the first 4.0 beta is only 68k, the os4.0 ppc is a alpha version, not beta!
i am waiting a stable ppc version for amiga one of course =)
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 07:51:47 PM »
i had a 060 at 80mhz also , anyway it died!

and for os4 , email hyperion then , but i am pretty sure they will deny any further 68k testings

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline elektro_fabius

• Show only replies by elektro_fabius
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 08:53:12 PM »
Please...stop with the 68k....
Now we have the chance to have new powerful hardware...we have to change way,Amiga has change and if we want to go on with Amiga,we must say goodbye to Amiga Classic.

Offline JoNty

• Show only replies by JoNty
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 09:57:08 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I don't care.

I hate those hardcore classic Amiga hardware gimps who absolutely refuse to upgrade to anything better than a 060. They're normally ignorant, sentimental morons who have no real reason why it's better not to upgrade. They have absolutely no idea that they're actually helping to kill the Amiga off.

DaNi, I'm not accusing you of being one of these numb nuts, but your post did remind me of them.

-
JoNty

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 10:23:55 PM »
@JoNty

I see your point, but there are also those of us who are into the 'retro' side of things, and have a desire to cling onto the old hardware as a hobby - and yes reminisce as well,, rather than being 'stuck in the past'

Cheers,
Cyberus
I like Amigas

Offline JoNty

• Show only replies by JoNty
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 10:27:04 PM »
@Cyberus

I also see your point, but it's when they start complaining that things arn't getting ported to 68K, and games that are quite system intensive run like ass on their machines.

-
JoNty

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 01:04:46 AM »

DaNi wrote:
i dont mencioned the os4 ppc native, the first 4.0 beta is only 68k, the os4.0 ppc is a alpha version, not beta!
i am waiting a stable ppc version for amiga one of course =)
Certain modules were 68k; ExecSG is PPC-only, and as I understand it, all the really good stuff relies on the new features there and in related libs.

I discussed this with ... hoo boy, was it Thomas or Hans-Joerg?  (I hate getting you guys mixed up as much as you probably hate me doing it!) ... and basically, it wouldn't be a simple job of pulling a known 68k-clean tree from CVS (someone would have to undertake all the MFCing* to pull  bugfixes and finalized interfaces back into 68k-able code; lots of things targeted "PowerPC"** features from the get-go), and performance probably wouldn't be too hot anyway.  (You can take that as "4 sucks!" if you want, but it really means "4 has to make tradeoffs trying to give people everything they want."  MOS makes different tradeoffs, people will always be split over approaches, and it's PPC-only as well.)

So for that amount of work, AInc. would have to give the get-go, everyone likes to get paid, and it's better for the community if resources go to making 4.1, 4.2, 4.3-onwards kick a**.  As nice as it would be to give the old machines a new lease on life, 3.x has technically done that anyway.  (The existing OS architecture, warts and all, is a best-fit for the speed and capability of the Classic hardware... All that's really needed is a good IP stack, and if Roadshow isn't backportable, maybe AROS can prove its worth there.)

---

*MFC = "Merge From Current," a BSD-land acronym.  Means "integrating features/code from the 'top' of the development tree into older branches."  It's just shorthand for a task... The actual work can be as easy as adding a simple tool (import 'helloworld.c' and makefiles into the older branch), or as complex as rewriting/massaging an entire 'OS' to handle a new API.  (In BSD land: "Yeah, now that we've restructured the VM and VFS layer, we can MFC those filesystems into -STABLE.")

**Don't take me too technically here; I'm covering both 'things that actually require PowerPC speed or features,' and 'things that depend on other things that were built straight for PowerPC, such that there's no known-68k-able version of the dependency to just crosscompile without extra work.'

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 02:13:38 AM »
@Floid

All that's really needed is a good IP stack, and if Roadshow isn't backportable...

Roadshow was developed for 68k in the first place, and the 68k version has been ready for over a year. It would have been released long ago if Olaf hadn't promised Hyperion that he would not release the 68k version until after AOS4 is released. Considering the ridiculous Miami situation and the shortcomings of Genesis, that decision has cost him a whole bunch of sales.

Note: The above refers to the stack itself, and not to the AOS4 specific GUI Hyperion were adding to it.
Bill Hoggett

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2003, 04:42:45 PM »
My advice would be to get a PPC. Amiga needs to move on and use better and newer hardware for Amiga OS 4.0 to do real justice! :-) And the 060 just can't do it. Do you see?
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 04:45:40 PM »
If I was Olaf and/or Hyperion I would probably rethink that agreement. On the other hand, we might see OS4/CSPPC released tomorrow for all I know...

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 05:35:42 PM »
I just hope coldfire project gets done so we can use OS 3.9 with fast speeds.  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline sdesros

• Show only replies by sdesros
    • http://www.501st.ca/
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 05:47:07 PM »
I also see your point, but it's when they start complaining that things arn't getting ported to 68K, and games that are quite system intensive run like ass on their machines.

Perhaps, but you also need to consider the people running Amithlon/Amiga Forever and/or other forms of Emulation (including the Coldfire upgrade).  A 68k DivX movie player might not make sense on a real 68K processor, but can be quite useful for people using emulation.
Steph