Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big box of 47 Amiga chips on uk ebay start off price £5.00  (Read 3529 times)

Description:

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
Re: Big box of 47 Amiga chips on uk ebay start off price £5.00
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2003, 10:53:24 AM »
 :-o

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2003, 11:46:57 AM »
I don't want them! They're not military grade! I buy all my military grade chips here:

They come wrapped in yesterdays black anti-static newspaper...

:-D  :-P
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2003, 12:23:52 PM »

DoomMaster wrote:
To N7VQM:

I saw them on the USA eBay.  That foam is NOT anti-static.  Anti-static FOAM is BLACK.     :-o

I got my old K6-2 CPU in grey anti-stat foam. I highly doubt that AMD would sell chips that isn't in anti-stat foam...
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2003, 12:57:25 PM »
well i doubt i would have buyed thoose chips even if it had said.... ALL TESTED TODAY AND ALL WORKS.

why?  because i would have no use for em ;(

cheers
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline reflect

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2003, 01:32:55 PM »
If you think that anti-static foam is made in black color only, you're clearly mistaken. What you say might have been true 10 years ago but not anymore.

You make me wonder if your whole character is a joke, that you do this for fun or something.
If you are for real, well.. With statements like that it's no wonder people are prejudiced against americans.

Just look at what manufactures today ship their computer parts in. Is it black foam? Mostly not. Here, I've seen pink for the most part, and I can tell you for a fact that none of my parts have been 'zapped'. Sun Microsystems ships their servers in White anti-static foam..
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline Acill

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2003, 02:03:11 PM »
@Doommaster

Man I cant take it any more. I didnt want to say anything about you, but you need to stop and do some research before you post mate!! You are wong here and we all know it. Stop making yourself look like an arse. I have used and see anti-stat foam in ALL colours you could ever think of! That goes for bags as well. No hard feelings ;)
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2003, 02:36:07 PM »
Amigamad, mate:

"1 X Unknown CBM ROM 390388-01
  1 X Unknown CBM ROM 390389-01"

I believe these are A1200 specific OS3.0 Kickstart ROMS. theyre a pair. (who says you dont get nothing for a pair in this game ?!)
can anyone confirm ?
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 02:52:48 PM »
I believe these are A1200 specific OS3.0 Kickstart ROMS. theyre a pair. (who says you dont get nothing for a pair in this game ?!)

I have my old A1200 ks 3.0 roms here but they are numbered as follows:

391523-01
391524-01
Ni72ous

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2003, 03:08:31 PM »

DoomMaster wrote:
To Oldsmobile_Mike:

Gradual static damage usually takes about 3 mounths, this is the reason for the typical 90-day warranty.

I think what you are really refering to here is a Latent Failure.  Here is the definition of a Latent Failure:

A defect or damage that does not show up until some time after the damaging event occurs. The initial damage is not sufficient to cause catastrophic failure of the device, but does weaken the part. At some later time, either another static event or the cumulative effects of previous static events finally cause the part to fail.

This definition comes from HERE.

This has absolutly nothing to do with any 90-day warrantees because a latent failure could happen at any time in the devices life.
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

Offline amigamadTopic starter

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2003, 03:56:01 PM »
image removed by mikeymike ~ think of the poor modem users!)

I did not know they still existed, ill put a link next time. :-D  :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2003, 05:01:13 PM »
@doommeister:

Military-grade wav-files are always purple with white specks.

Kinda like this one.

:-x

Offline DoomMaster

• Show only replies by DoomMaster
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2003, 05:45:20 PM »
To N7VQM:

You are wrong about that.  Pink foam is NOT anti-static, it just does not GENERATE static-electricity.  Pink foam does NOT protect ICs against static damage, black foam DOES.  In all the years that I have worked in the electronics / computer industry I have never seen yellow or white anti-static foam.     :-o
[color=FF0033]1 Amiga 2500 / 040, 2 Amiga 2000HDs, Atari Mega4 ST, Pentium 4 PC, Macintosh SE[/color]

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 06:36:09 PM »
You are wrong about that. Pink foam is NOT anti-static

Presumably because it is pink?

In all the years that I have worked in the electronics / computer industry I have never seen yellow or white anti-static foam

You can't have dealt with that many hardware suppliers then.
After someone else's Athlon comment, I decided to check the packaging of mine (which I keep the CPU I upgraded from in), it is also pink.  I bought the new CPU from cclcomputers.co.uk.

Offline DoomMaster

• Show only replies by DoomMaster
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 06:53:07 PM »
To mikeymike:

Pink foam will not zap the IC, but it will NOT protect it either.  There may now be many different colors of the "pink foam" but they do not PROTECT the chips from being zapped.  Only the black foam does that.  You see, what makes the black foam black, is that it has carbine in it, which is conductive (same as the black anti-static bags).  Since I am a Class 4 Electronics Assembler and have worked in the electronics industry for many years, I have dealt with many hardware suppliers.  The reason why they ship ICs in the pink or white foam is because it is much cheaper then the black foam.  But they will usually also have them packed inside a black box or a black or silver anti-static bag.  The pink foam is ok, just as long as you put it inside a protective box or bag.     :-P
[color=FF0033]1 Amiga 2500 / 040, 2 Amiga 2000HDs, Atari Mega4 ST, Pentium 4 PC, Macintosh SE[/color]

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2003, 07:49:17 PM »
I'm a class 5 in Gimp Detection and looking in your direction, it's like a beacon...

:-D

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 16, 2003, 08:00:24 PM »

DoomMaster wrote:
There may now be many different colors of the "pink foam" but they do not PROTECT the chips from being zapped.  Only the black foam does that.  

The black foam doesn't protect very well.  Only static sheilding (like a static-sheilded bag) will reasonably protect a component.  Black foam is not static sheilding.  It helps but if you carry a voltage-sensitive device stuck to that foam through a strong enough electrostatic feild (such as that surronding a computer monitor or electric motor), that device could be toast unless it's INSIDE a static sheilded container.

Granted, the black foam generally is better than the other stuff (which is usually just low-tribocharging rather than conductive, you just have to read the datasheet to make the determination) but neither one alone is enough to protect components.  
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...