Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Networking issues  (Read 12184 times)

Description:

Offline nineocTopic starter

• Show all replies
Networking issues
« on: December 28, 2020, 08:02:54 PM »
Hello:

Having networking issues between A2000HD, with Wildfire 060, running version 3.5 of the Amiga OS, Older Imac running version 10.11.6 of the Apple OS, and an older generic PC running Windows XP. Network was set up many years ago by experienced Amiga tech, as I am not very tech savvy.

System worked well until our move of 5 years ago. Attempting to look at it now, the Imac shows the Amiga in the network list, but cannot connect to it.

It does not show the PC, and the PC does not show either the Imac or the Amiga.

Win UAE is also installed on the PC, and Explorer is installed on both the Amiga and the PC.

Am attempting to transfer files from the Amiga to the Emulator as a backup in case the Amiga fails.

As stated, I am not very tech savvy, so would appreciate any input as to how to get the systems functional again, if possible.

• Show all replies
Re: Networking issues
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 09:07:35 PM »
Thanks for the input. You have raised some good points, eg: there is a new router in the system, so that may play a part in this. In regards to your mention of an NAS, would you care to explain what that is?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »
Thank you. Will do some local research into this. :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 04:25:05 PM »
Thanks for your interest.

It is a fun setup when it works. Have not networked with it in some time. Not sure about the Network software, thought it was Miami, but have not been able to find it yet. Have a second A2000HD that has been down that is now functional, it may be on there. As for the ip addresses, I have found them for the router, the PC and the Mac, but so far not the Amiga. As for Explorer, I have it running on both the PC and the Amiga. The Amiga is able to acess the internet.

To be continued... ::)

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
So, found the ip address for the amiga, thank you. BUT...when I attempt to right click on the Explorer icon to compare, nothing happens. Back to the drawing board.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 07:51:32 PM »
My apologies, I thought you meant Explorer on the Amiga. It works on the PC, and the IP address conforms. ::)

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 09:24:34 PM »
Miami is installed on the machine.

When double clicking on the icon, which is not on the workbench screen, a popup says:
The assign 'miami' does not exist on your system, indicating that miami was not installed properly. Please install miami before using it, and make sure that the assign 'Miami:' points to your Miami installation directory.

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 12:06:17 AM »
Info update:

When attempting to 'ping' the Amiga and Mac from the PC, Mac is successful, Amiga is not.

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »
 I am not very knowledgeable about IT in general, in particular the terminology, so this is very helpful, thank you. Will see how I can navigate through your instructions.

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 07:32:37 PM »
[quote author=I wonder if it's using something other than Miami as the TCP/IP stack if Miami gives an error when it's run but you can get onto the Internet (I'm assuming you mean you can get onto web sites or similar).

Yes, I can access web sites.

Have a look in the WBStartup drawer to see which programmes run when you boot up or look at your startup-sequence and user-startup files (in the S Drawer) to se if you can identify what programmes run.

All I see in the WBStartup drawer are three icons, Turbospool, Turboptrint and RexxMast, for printing and Arexx.

In the S drawer are many many icons, don't know what I am looking for. Could do a screenshot, if I knew how. Could take a photo?

Does your Router have an option to Ping devices through one of the admin pages? If so can you ping the Amiga from there?

Having difficulty accessing the router, waiting for my ISP to assist.

From the PC you could also try tracert in a Command Prompt. Format is `tracert <IP address of Amiga>` e.g. tracert 192.168.0.123. This will show how Windows is navigating across the network to try and access the Amiga.

Tried tracert, nothing happens. Perhaps my formatting is incorrect.

I don't know how knowledgable you are about Amigas & IT in general so apologies if anything above is too simple or complex.

[/quote]

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »
Tried to reply including your last instructions, it did not take. Trying again

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 07:40:21 PM »
        View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »

Say Thanks

I wonder if it's using something other than Miami as the TCP/IP stack if Miami gives an error when it's run but you can get onto the Internet (I'm assuming you mean you can get onto web sites or similar).

Can access the net.

Have a look in the WBStartup drawer to see which programmes run when you boot up or look at your startup-sequence and user-startup files (in the S Drawer) to se if you can identify what programmes run.

Three icons in drawer that deal with printing and Arexx.

Many,many icons in S drawer, don't know what I am looking for.

Does your Router have an option to Ping devices through one of the admin pages? If so can you ping the Amiga from there?

Unable to access router, waiting for ISP to assist.

From the PC you could also try tracert in a Command Prompt. Format is `tracert <IP address of Amiga>` e.g. tracert 192.168.0.123. This will show how Windows is navigating across the network to try and access the Amiga.

Tried that, did not work, window disappears. Perhaps I am entering incorrectly.

I don't know how knowledgable you are about Amigas & IT in general so apologies if anything above is too simple or complex.

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
Can access the net

Only icons in startup drawe are for printing and Arexx

Many many icons in S drawer, don't know what to look for

Unable to access router, waiting for ISP to assist

Tried tracert, no success, perhaps entering wrong format

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 03:34:15 AM »
So, the plot thickens. I now have access to the router, and all the IP addresses. Have been able to ping from the router itself via the mac, and have beenable to connect with everything EXCEPT the Amiga.

Had Explorer running, but not sure if Miami was, or if there is another utility that should be.

To be continued.

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 04:32:31 PM »
My apologies for not beig specific. In the router control panel, all the computers are listed by name, with the IP Addresses for each one. The only exception is the Amiga, in that it shows the IP Address, but lists the device as unknown. I can ping all the computers except the Amiga.

I have found the Ping command in Miami, but when I attempt to use it, the message reads Unable to open miami.library version 8.

AmiTCP-4.3 is also on thre machine, and I am able to start it, but I do not know its' function. There is also an icon for something called Samba.

All of the computers are connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, and the Amiga is able to access the internet.

I have another old PC running Windows 7 I brought out of storage, and it can ping the other computers, but not the Amiga.

I did run Tracert straight from the Search command. Will try the CMD shortly, as well as the Miaminetstat command and post the results. Thank you for your patience and assistance, it is GREATLY appreciated.