Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA:my side of the story!  (Read 8247 times)

Description:

Offline number6

Re: Commodore USA:my side of the story!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;695355
This is Barry we are talking about. Only he could set a "independent fancentric" site up then change the rules as he starts getting negative feedback. There has been a lot of backlash at the heavy handed way he has handled some of the questions and queries within the last few months. I suppose this is just his way of trying to bring what he perceives to be order to the site.

One thing to keep in mind is that @terminills started the community site and it did have a wider scope given Tim's interests as a promoter and supporter of many things.
I see the same change as you do, and agree it is obviously his right to do so and perhaps long term will benefit his plans.
But still...how hard is it to have a company section and "everything else". Anything less smacks of a controlled environment for the fans.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »
Quote from: number6;695361
One thing to keep in mind is that @terminills started the community site and it did have a wider scope given Tim's interests as a promoter and supporter of many things.
I see the same change as you do, and agree it is obviously his right to do so and perhaps long term will benefit his plans.
But still...how hard is it to have a company section and "everything else". Anything less smacks of a controlled environment for the fans.

I ran a forum myself and I know that it's not hard to moderate sections, so long as you have the moderators to do it, so that certain things remain in certain sections and so forth. However from what I have seen there is only a handful of mods and then I have not seen any of them really enforcing anything other than Leo and Barry. Which means it's pretty much a single sided show.

like you I saw that it was certainly a site that had primary focus on CUSA but also allowed for discussion for classic and so forth at the start. But the current environment is one of a engineered community. Where anything that doesn't correspond with the plan that Barry has is either instantly locked or deleted outright without warning or explanation.

At the end of the day it's now Barry's place. I think the initial perspective of the site that terminills had is now long gone. It's a marketing vehicle for CUSA and engineered in a way that anyone who is prone to impulse buying without too much research will see only good things about them without seeing the flip side.

Nothing wrong with it but I just don't agree with it. Again sorry if some of this seems rushed or a little lacking in explanation but no sleep makes me very dull lol.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
Shock and surprise, who could possibly have seen this coming.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline mechy

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 04:45:18 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;695364
Shock and surprise, who could possibly have seen this coming.

hehe.. How on earth could anyone be taken in by C= USA from day one. I don't think these guys know what a real Amiga or C64 is.

Mech

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
Commodore-Amiga.org is pretty much dead anyway, I think they are beginning to realise that getting into a market that is stagnant, using a company name noted for cheap products and pricing those products way above the competition may not have been the wisest thing to do.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 06:42:08 AM »
If they are dead then why are they getting more traffic than we are?

"We have 389 guests and 2 members online"
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 07:30:23 AM »
Most of those guests will be bots :-(
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline persia

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
It never shows less than 300 some guests, maybe it's a running total or something.  Maybe they're all waiting for a page to load, it's so slow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
From what I can gather the online details are not accurate. If someone logs in it registers them on the list. If someone looks at a thread it registers them as looking at it on the top of the thread page. However both are offset by atleast half an hour. So oif someone navigates away from the page it will still show them as viewing the thread. Much like is someone navigates away from the site it will still show them as been active. The only sure fire way to drop from the list is to log out.

I know this as I have registered there in the past but then got banned almost the same day. Their active list for guests is probably way, way, way off. Because it does the same for guests.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »
Crit. You are making it sound accidental. I'm not saying they are deliberately falsifying their numbers but you have to admit it wouldn't be too hard and obviously it gives a better impression of the company having that many users. But have you noticed how the numbers are always generally the same compared to Amiga.org which are fairly varied?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 12:57:32 AM »
I am not saying either which way. Just pointing out that the user and guest list, along with the who's lookin at a thread thing, are way too offset to get an acurate reading of how many people are visiting the site. I would imagine it was an oversight initially, they are using joomla which is great as a CMS but makes a crap forum device, of the forum plugin. But as you say it gives a good impression of the overall traffic to the site.

What ever the inital intent of the site you can see from rcent activity that it nows been engineered towards a advertising vehicle. After all he owns the domain name and the server.

Offline persia

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
Whatever happened to MasterChef?  He started this thread and disappeared...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
Quote from: persia;696470
Whatever happened to MasterChef?  He started this thread and disappeared...

Shill!!!!!!

Offline AmmoJammo

• Show only replies by AmmoJammo
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
I looked up "commodore USA" and was confused as to why the words commodore and amiga were even being used?

Offline number6

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
Quote from: AmmoJammo;696476
I looked up "commodore USA" and was confused as to why the words commodore and amiga were even being used?

They licensed both "Commodore" and "Amiga" from their respective owners after seeing a value in using those brand names.
Long story...wait for the movie. Heh.

Offline number6

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 15, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »
@CritAnime

As we discussed elsewhere...mkay. So now they move one of the Vics from the Commodore side of their lineup and it becomes an Amiga.

Just for those updating their scorecards...

The VIC Mini is now the Amiga MIO.

source

Oh...and that means the Amiga Mini is no longer the entry model. Feel free to correct the other thread. Heh.