Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench 5 renamed Commodore OS  (Read 34935 times)

Description:

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
Re: Workbench 5 renamed Commodore OS
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »
If any of you seriously believe any of these "products" will ever see the light of day, you need your heads read.  It's not even vapor-ware, it's imagine-ware, CUSA is just Amiga Inc mk2, put out a few press releases every few months, then deliver nothing, why?  Because the Commodore/Amiga names are worth absolutely nothing commercially in 2011, and anyone releasing anything like they're describing would be bankrupt in weeks, not even "great business men" like Barry like literally pissing their money away.

I can't explain why guys like Bill/Barry like to do this, but I'd bet my first-born on the fact we'll never see any of these products actually launched, but of course, I said the same about Amiga inc back in 2004 and we're still waiting for OS 5 et al.

Commodore (the real one) lost loads of money selling Commodore branded PCs in the late 80s/early 90s, no one bought them when the company was a big player, Escom also failed in the mid 90s with their Commodore range, so did Tulip in the late 90s, Commodore Gaming also went belly up iirc in 2008/9, what makes CUSA so confident the time is now right for Commodore badged PCs to be a success when they flopped even when CBM were a 5 billion dollar company, recognised by everyone in the world, and at least 5 times since?  Crazy talk.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:07:08 PM by danwood »

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
Quote from: dammy;618880
C=USA is heavily focused on the C64x's launch with all sorts of contractual obligations demanding C64x be ready in large numbers.  Given the speed of this all coming together, it's going to have to have fairly stock OSs for it.  The Amiga series, OTOH, is still being fleshed out while the C64x has very high priority.  Once the C64x is out in stores, then I expect C=USA release information about the Amiga series and it's OS. Ubunto is not that exciting to me, C=USA's the follow on OS that will be running on C=USA Amiga series has my interest peaked. Although such a OS will probably take nearly a year to get such a project to beta level testing. :-|

Dammy, from what I gather you went to visit Barry and now you're Commodore USA's biggest supporter?  I can't figure out if you're delusional, involved in the "company" somehow, or have just really bought into this BS?  

If you're just a believer who desperately wants a return to the glory-days, I feel sorry for you, because I fear you're going to be very disappointed if you're pinning your hopes on this being a global relaunch of a successful Commodore brand, there is NO WAY this can be a successful project, even if any of it is actually real.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:57:27 PM by danwood »

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
Quote from: Duce;618882
While I have no problems with people being pro or anti C-USA or anything else, I wish people involved with C-USA would, in the interest of full disclosure: state they have vested interests.  Opinions from people with vested interests on controversial topics like this are obviously biased - just like they were when that CTO Leo guy was pounding the pulpit for "the cause"..

From what I see, it's one guy who's running this show, and a few other guys who are blindly believing everything he's saying, probably because they want to believe so bad that Commodore/Amiga can come back and be a big player again, it's kinda sad :(  

I'd love to see the Amiga back in highstreet stores again (not in the way CUSA are proposing though), but I accepted many decades ago that it's never going to happen again, sometimes you need to know when to let go.

This whole thing actually reminds me of when old boy/girl bands from the 80s suddenly get the "great idea" of reforming 25 years on and expecting the same success they had at their peak, only to release a single that doesn't make the top 100, because the world has moved on, and then 6 months later they're back playing "Retro" nightclub events for $50 a night.  But even Bananarama and Tiffany still have their fans on Twitter who believe they'll get number 1s again, doesn't mean it's ever going to happen though.

Similarly, saying you own a Commodore computer or you're a Commodore fan, will usually get the same reaction as saying you're a New Kids on the Block or Rick Astley fan, a little sneer and people thinking you're a bit tragic.  At least the Amiga/Commodore has a nice nostalgic memory for most people, but no one would take these relics from another era as a serious name/product to buy today.

Someone should do a real survey of "normal consumers" and ask "Would you buy a new computer from Commodore or Amiga today?", I don't think the answers would be what you're hoping, probably the same as if they were asked "Would you buy a Hypercolor t-shirt or a rara skirt if we put them back on sale?".
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:14:15 PM by danwood »

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:21:03 PM »
Quote from: persia;618985
It's beginning to look like Unix everywhere, Mac OS, Android, iOS, RIM's Play thing tablet.  What an exciting time.

Well, everywhere if you don't count the 90% of computers in the world that run Windows I suppose.

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »
Quote from: vox;619301
So exactly, IF C64/VIC do good (no reason why they shouldn`t, no reason why they should either as there are many PCs in many nice cases) THEN CUSA Amiga will be launched at all ELSE everything will be wapor as usual. Tan and see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycI_Hw2zNcY

It will only do well if the "retro" community buys them in significant numbers, no "normal" users will be attracted to an expensive PC in a 30 year old designed case.

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;619319
The very community that they've managed to p1 ss off spectacularly before launching a single product.

They are doomed to failure.

Well I know that, so does anyone who did business skills for the 11+ at school, but there are still a fair few people here with their eyes closed and fingers in their ears singing "I caaaan't hear you, I caaaaan't heaaar you!!!" and insisting this will be the second coming of Commodore as a multi-national big player in the industry, rivaling Apple and Microsoft, I fear a few broken hearts coming :(