Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mac time!  (Read 5679 times)

Description:

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
Re: Mac time!
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 01, 2010, 01:48:10 AM »
I can see a resemblance between classic AmigaOS and actual Mac: both are a "flavour" of Unix. Mac is made from BSD (which in turn is a spin-off of UNIX). Amiga is made from a different branch, practically a new Unix from scratch, but still a unix-like system.
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline DaDigz

• Show only replies by DaDigz
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 02:37:34 AM »
Quote from: beller;545600
I put XP on both my mini and my MacBook and have since deleted both.  Took up lots of hard drive and I really only used it for Amiga emulation. However, if you need it Bootcamp is great.  

If you haven't tried it, take a look at Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org).  I'm thinking this might be a better replacement for Office than paying for an upgrade....

Congrats on the new Mac!

Bob

What you really want is NeoOffice http://www.neooffice.org. Much better integrated version of OO IMHO. :)

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 02:38:32 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;545633
Not comparing AmigaOS with OS X.  You couldn't, no matter how delusional you are.

What I was saying was.. In 2000, if Amiga Inc had "pulled an apple" and built a new AmigaOS out of a NetBSD or Linux kernal like Apple did with OS X, then ran it on commodity hardware, we'd all be singing a much happier tune today.

Wayne

Then... the same example can be used for windows... if ms built a new windows with a some linux or unix kernel...

And talking about hardware, apple hardware is just like other pc, if someone can use osx is much cheap to  make a hackintosh an possibly better.
a1200 060

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 04:23:30 AM »
Quote from: beller;545600
I put XP on both my mini and my MacBook and have since deleted both.  Took up lots of hard drive and I really only used it for Amiga emulation. However, if you need it Bootcamp is great.  

If you haven't tried it, take a look at Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org).  I'm thinking this might be a better replacement for Office than paying for an upgrade....

Congrats on the new Mac!

Bob

I expect I'll be using Windows less and less as I transition off my "crutch", but I'd rather have it available and not use it than not have it and suddenly need it. My hard drive's plenty big and I only gave Windows the BootCamp button-press default of 32GB.

I've used OpenOffice Writer before. It's plenty capable on its own, but it's just not good enough at data exchange with Word (which is the same reason I'm not using Wordworth for everything on my Amiga). Luckily, I've had the good fortune to have not had to pay for a Microsoft product in ages - good old right-place-right-time for site-licensed copies - and this has held up for Mac Office :)

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 05:25:41 AM »
IIRC, there is a minimal WinXP installation ready to only boot WinUAE.
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »
Quote from: rkauer;545643
I can see a resemblance between classic AmigaOS and actual Mac: both are a "flavour" of Unix. Mac is made from BSD (which in turn is a spin-off of UNIX). Amiga is made from a different branch, practically a new Unix from scratch, but still a unix-like system.

Huh?
~

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;545663

I've used OpenOffice Writer before. It's plenty capable on its own, but it's just not good enough at data exchange with Word (which is the same reason I'm not using Wordworth for everything on my Amiga). Luckily, I've had the good fortune to have not had to pay for a Microsoft product in ages - good old right-place-right-time for site-licensed copies - and this has held up for Mac Office :)

You might have an upgrade path. In the past Microsoft allowed users to cross upgrade from one platform to another.  You might check to see if its available.  I've recently had problems with exchanging files with PC users using a 2004 Office for Mac version.  Since it's my freelance work, I guess I'll need to update Office myself.  I'd love to use the free versions, I just don't want to explain to clients why they have problems with my files!

Actually, going back to doing work for Amiga companies, file format has been a big hassle.  I bought my first Mac so I could produce an Amiga manual.  The client was much happier when I switched and, since I had a second computer to write on, their buggy software didn't cost me work time!

Offline tone007

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »
Quote from: Golem!dk;545694

Quote from: rkauer

Huh?

Yeah, AmigaOS isn't on the chart, it's not UNIX.  http://cbmvax.com/unix.png (big picture.)

Amiga UNIX is there, however.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
Quote from: Crom00;545608
Guys the dell mini 9 rocks MacOS... forget the ipad!

Even better... Dell Mini 10v !
posting from my own Dell Mini 10v here... on Snow Leopard :)
... but i do have a recent macbook pro (2 in fact) as well

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 12:50:06 AM »
I'm a mac head myself, but I don't like where they're going with the iTampon. What's next, a locked down OS X where one has to kneel down to Jobs to install software? I wouldn't be supprised if eventually the Mac lineup dissolved into developers only machines for a high price with all the focus on this gimped consumer crap.

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 12:59:07 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;545633
Not comparing AmigaOS with OS X.  You couldn't, no matter how delusional you are.

What I was saying was.. In 2000, if Amiga Inc had "pulled an apple" and built a new AmigaOS out of a NetBSD or Linux kernal like Apple did with OS X, then ran it on commodity hardware, we'd all be singing a much happier tune today.

Wayne

But, but... AmigaOS5 will be better than OSX! :crazy:

Unix-backed AmigaOS... I don't know. I was skeptical of the QNX route back when it was announced ages ago. I wasn't too upset when it fell through. Commodity hardware, yes, that's the way to go, but I'm unconvinced on Unix. Maybe if Anubis ever writes a line of code I'll give it a try. That seems like the same concept.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 01:10:45 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;545809
What's next, a locked down OS X where one has to kneel down to Jobs to install software?

Well that's half of what you'll be doing.

:D
Back away from the EU-SSR!

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »
Hey, is there an Aminet-type place for Mac software?

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 01:20:38 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;546067
Hey, is there an Aminet-type place for Mac software?
Aminet is kind of a really outdated idea, as most software projects/groups/people put up their own web sites.

The best place I've found is downloads.com.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 01:51:41 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;546075
Aminet is kind of a really outdated idea, as most software projects/groups/people put up their own web sites.

Wayne

Hm, I'll have a look. Thanks!

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:33 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;546075

Wayne

What, what, what? :lol:

Aminet rocks. Screw visiting and bookmarking a ton of random sites that may not be there tomorrow. Aminet is a no-messing around solution with a super clean interface that isn't littered with flashy frivolous crap, pop ups, Flash or any goofy computer performance crushing languages. My only complaint is that their search engine could be a tad bit better - but if that would mean a performance hit while surfing - forget it. Happy with it just the way it is  :)