Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mac time!  (Read 5648 times)

Description:

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
Re: Mac time!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 02:49:54 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;545456
I already have such a drive... and it won't work in the Eee 901. The 901 has 2 SSDs - a fast 4GB one and a slow 8GB one. Only the 8GB one is user accessible, and the miniPCIe-to-ZIF adapter I replaced it with to connect the 1.8" drive won't work with the 4GB drive still connected. And the adapter makes it too fat to close the trapdoor. Very frustrating.

I'm confusded here. The 4gb one is for the usual linux OS, right? but you have OSX on there, so...:confused:
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
Nope, my OSX install is on a clunky external USB drive. I've got Windows on the 4GB drive, and it's incredibly painful.

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;545455
To still be able to handle the multitudes of Windows-only programs.

And I don't have Office for Mac yet.

I put XP on both my mini and my MacBook and have since deleted both.  Took up lots of hard drive and I really only used it for Amiga emulation. However, if you need it Bootcamp is great.  

If you haven't tried it, take a look at Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org).  I'm thinking this might be a better replacement for Office than paying for an upgrade....

Congrats on the new Mac!

Bob

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 12:08:01 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;545455
To still be able to handle the multitudes of Windows-only programs.

And I don't have Office for Mac yet.

Matt,

First -- welcome to the light...

When I went 100% Mac 4 years ago -- out of frustration, now HATRED for Microsoft -- on a spur of the moment decision, I thought about all the "multitude of Windows programs" (hahaha) and even bought Parallels with it just to be able to make sure I would "survive" the change.

To date, 4 years later, I have found exactly ONE program (Newsrover) which doesn't have a better equivalent on the Mac.  I've fired up Parallels three times, usually to download Mac software from the usenet newsgroups.

Trust me.  Unless you're running some weird, off the wall stuff, get OpenOffice (or even buy a copy of Office for the Mac if you must) and you'll NEVER even miss the PC at all.

Wayne

The Macs so far...

• 20" iMac 2.16 -- owned for 4 years, traded in for absolutely no reason other than I got a great deal on the 27" iMac.
  • 27" iMac 3.06 -- beauty in computing defined. Call of Duty 4.. {drool...}
  • 15" Macbook Pro 2.4 -- sold when I lost my job.
  • 13" Macbook Pro 2.53 -- My newest 2 week old MacChild for use on travels.
  • Dell Mini 9 - 8.9" netbook bought with Ubuntu and Hackintosh'd with MacOS X on the very first boot cycle.  For sale now..  $250 if anyone's interested.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
Guys the dell mini 9 rocks MacOS... forget the ipad!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:06 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;545164
So long, clunky old Compaq, and hello shiny new (well, Apple refurbished) Mac Mini! How ironic that well over 90% of the time I've spent setting it up has been getting Windows installed and then updated 97 times on VMWare - and that's before I've even migrated any of my data.

(And although I'll probably just install WinUAE under VMWare, what's the best incarnation of UAE for the Mac? Is it MaxUAE?)

I've never had my own Mac before. Looking forward to learning the quirks of OSX that only an owner can discover :)

Here's a fun thing - I'm guessing this is an Intel mac, right?  Y'know that thing that amigans and mac users used to do to show off how "bad" a PC was, by opening task manager, selecting CPU Usage and then whipping the window around and watching the CPU use spike?

Same thing happens on Macs these days ;)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »
Quote from: Crom00;545608
Yep.  If it weren't for the keyboard, I'd probably not have bought the latest macbook pro.  Well, that, and while it can fire up Garageband, it has a bit of trouble recording vodcasts (which really needs the core2duo).

Matter of fact, for three weeks, I ran it here, driving a 20" LCD monitor and using my ergo keyboard and wireless mouse.

Greatest little workpad you can get for the money.  Just don't expect to do 3d rendering on it.

FYI, what I have is the black "Vostro A90" (business model Mini 9) with 32gb Runcore SSD (fastest) and 2gb of RAM.  

Hell, straight out of the box, even the camera works with photobooth..!

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 12:19:17 AM »
Quote from: Crom00;545608

I love running hackintoshes.  Just a sharp, hard swift kick right in Steve Jobs' balls

:D :D :D
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 12:22:54 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;545609
Same thing happens on Macs these days ;)
Perhaps.. Haven't tried it, but here's the fun thing about that.  When you have a Core2Duo chip running 2Ghz+ and a MINIMUM of 2gb of DDR3 RAM, does "a little spike" matter at all?

Trust me.  It doesn't.  :)

I routinely format and burn DVD's while playing Call of Duty 4 over the net with little to no appreciable effect on the fps rates..  Of course, that's on the 3.06 c2d 27" iMac.  Haven't yet run CoD 4 on the baby book.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 12:29:09 AM »
Just to make this Amiga related, Mac OSX on the Intel platform is EXACTLY where and what the Amiga coulda, shoulda done starting in 2000.  Imagine where we'd be now if they had..

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 12:45:16 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;545615
Just to make this Amiga related, Mac OSX on the Intel platform is EXACTLY where and what the Amiga coulda, shoulda done starting in 2000.  Imagine where we'd be now if they had..

Wayne

Don't remind me Wayne. I was so happy with Amithlon. Imagine if that was developed then turned into OS4/ OS5.

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 12:57:33 AM »
For the record, just tried Call of Duty 4 (and Sims 2) and other games I have on hand on the laptop, and were it not for a crappy wifi connection, all I can say is... "Game on!"
//* Signature Free *//

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:16 AM »
I dont see the point comapring osx with amiga could be, if amigaos in future becomes more powerfull hope that its no closer to osx.

Maybe mac is so popular in the usa and it make see osx with better eyes.
a1200 060

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 01:26:18 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;545629
I dont see the point comapring osx with amiga could be, if amigaos in future becomes more powerfull hope that its no closer to osx.

Maybe mac is so popular in the usa and it make see osx with better eyes.
Not comparing AmigaOS with OS X.  You couldn't, no matter how delusional you are.

What I was saying was.. In 2000, if Amiga Inc had "pulled an apple" and built a new AmigaOS out of a NetBSD or Linux kernal like Apple did with OS X, then ran it on commodity hardware, we'd all be singing a much happier tune today.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 01:26:28 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;545164
So long, clunky old Compaq, and hello shiny new (well, Apple refurbished) Mac Mini! How ironic that well over 90% of the time I've spent setting it up has been getting Windows installed and then updated 97 times on VMWare - and that's before I've even migrated any of my data.

(And although I'll probably just install WinUAE under VMWare, what's the best incarnation of UAE for the Mac? Is it MaxUAE?)

I've never had my own Mac before. Looking forward to learning the quirks of OSX that only an owner can discover :)

Hi,

I agree it is MAC time and I am having my MAC attack, went to mickey D's and ate 4 MAC's in one sit and an order of fry's and a coke.

have fun,
smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 01, 2010, 01:48:10 AM »
I can see a resemblance between classic AmigaOS and actual Mac: both are a "flavour" of Unix. Mac is made from BSD (which in turn is a spin-off of UNIX). Amiga is made from a different branch, practically a new Unix from scratch, but still a unix-like system.
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.