Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is an Amiga?  (Read 2487 times)

Description:

Offline RazielTopic starter

• Show only replies by Raziel
Re: What is an Amiga?
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 01, 2003, 04:19:17 AM »
Alx and mikey mike
Thank you very much for all the info
I think im beginning to realize how ahead of its time it was.

Also  sorry to be so general in my questions, i am a techie with pcs, but noob squared with amigas and i figured  i would come to the knowledge base that is amiga.org  to learn more so sorry if anyone is/was annoyed. :-)

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2003, 08:13:04 AM »
What would ordinarily be an innocent, neutral question is, in the case of the Amiga, loaded with potential for argument because of the rocky road the platform has travelled and because of in-fighting among proponents of one course or another along the way. I imagine we see people trying to start an argument with a topic like that more often than legitimate questions by newcomers to the area, nutty as that may seem.

-- gary_c

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2003, 09:09:07 AM »
The reasons for running an Amiga, be it classic or forthcomming, seem pretty straightforward to me... They're pretty much the same reasons so many geeks have turned to Linux.

Many geeks have grown tired of the way M$ has grown from a company that sold a pretty good OS and a few games, into a company that wants to provide a "solution" to every computer user's needs. Somehow their products end up becomming and industry standard...

AND NOW THE GEEKS ARE BORED!

Some of us not only reject M$ software, but have grown to reject the entire platform, hardware included. But what choice is there? Apple? Go from one idiot box to another (no offence, I do own one myself)?

With Amiga, we have a chance to start over... Our way. We liked it before, we like it now, and we'll make it to our liking in the future.

What's an Amiga? A Prowler on a highway packed with Civics!
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2003, 12:12:20 PM »
hmm well let me put it like this..

i have used amiga since 1985 , i have been on a pc for a 3 years run (1998-2001) , i used a pc only at work though , i was an "IT Admin".

i quitted the job to get away from the stress levels of windows 2000/98se and such , really
was a pain :)

Amiga and its surroundings has always been special (almost like the c64) and one thing on amiga is for sure, if you find an error or get one then you in 99% of the cases know what it is and how to fix it, unlike on a windows based machine ...well u never know do u ? :)

but the main reason i never jumped the ship was
because of my intrests in amiga and the retro stuff, basically its more than just an computer for me (and many more) ,its almost like my childhood lived on and on again (ouch :P) .

as a last note , sure windows has alot of games/apps/tools etc but it doesn't make it the best, the os is dogdgy (xp included) ,its slow even if you are on 3ghz cpu ,or act slow in general use.
and the last note is , IT MAKES YOU STUPID!  :)

raziel: now u can move over to amiga or jump onto an amigaone or whatever you choose , no force no fights just some info and you are in ..

now if only we could do about 2million more :)

cheers

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2003, 09:11:42 AM »
An Amiga is a computer that doesn't (directly) suffer from the effects of MSblasterWorms, and other such trash.

An Amiga is a computer that is owned by a sensible person who doesn't need to be asked "where do you want to go today", because that person already knows!

An Amiga is a computer that is used by a person who wants to know where ALL his files are located.

An Amiga wouldn't usually have folders named- 'My this' or 'My that' because that seems somewhat infantile!

An Amiga can have a personal name because it is really one of the family -- whereas a PC is kind of an intruder.

An Amiga is owned by an individual who doesn't want BG to decide how he should manage digital content.

-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody