Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BT Openworld a word of warning -*Resolved*-  (Read 4465 times)

Description:

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
Re: BT Openworld a word of warning
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 01, 2003, 09:58:20 AM »
Again, more proof that BT is a bunch of wankers... Glad I don't have to deal with them on this side of the pond!
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2003, 10:08:19 AM »
Indeed, /me is glad SBC have never done this.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Wilse

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2003, 12:00:43 PM »
@bhoggett:

It's no so much BT Openworld as BT in general. Their staff are told to automatically assume that the customer is mistaken and that no mistake was made at the BT end.

Really? I must've been off that day.  ;-)
Do you have a copy of this "BT in general" staff directive? I'd love to see it.

Having said that, I know what a nightmare it can be for customers trying to deal with BT, and appreciate the frustration you and Matt have experienced.

First, make use of their complaints procedure and take the name of the operators you speak to. Second, do not pay the rest of your contract, since it is up to them to prove that you have breached your contract. Counteract by telling them that their evidence is wrong and you will be claiming compensation for any restriction of service, and demand that they provide you with documentary evidence of their claim.

The above is all decent advice. *ALWAYS* take the persons name. that way they'll think twice about telling you porkies.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2003, 12:12:57 PM »
I doubt BT have got their legal/contract facts wrong, if I were the customer in this case I would check and double-check everything, then get someone else to double-check it for me.

Stunts like this could make BT incredibly unpopular.  In the case of ~£270, they've got much more to lose than gain.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2003, 01:20:00 PM »
@Wilse

Really? I must've been off that day.   Do you have a copy of this "BT in general" staff directive? I'd love to see it.  

Well, I don't know that there is an official directive to that effect, but since every single operator I spoke to was trying to persuade me that I was wrong and BT were right, despite the fact that provided all the evidence to back me up and apparently conviced each operator in turn (after 15-20 minutes of debate each time), what else can I assume?  Why the details of what was concluded in my conversation with the first operator were not entered into the system is beyond my understanding.

I certainly found it totally unacceptable that my broadband service was cut off for an entire week despite the fact that the fault lay with BT in the first place and they admitted this from the start (after persuasion and my presenting the relevant evidence).

@mikeymike

BT won't have their contract facts wrong, but they do get customer account details wrong. It is possible that Matt's "change of name" was due to a mistake by someone at BT.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Wilse

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2003, 03:28:29 PM »
@Bill:

Well, I don't know that there is an official directive to that effect,

Perhaps because it would be commercial suicide if there was one?

but since every single operator I spoke to was trying to persuade me that I was wrong and BT were right, despite the fact that provided all the evidence to back me up and apparently conviced each operator in turn (after 15-20 minutes of debate each time), what else can I assume?

Various things? Incompetence on the part of the operators springs to mind. Saying staff, in general, are told to behave this way is a rather sweeping accusation that, if made against a firm in the amiga marketplace - with the same lack of proof, would be condemned as FUD and rightly so. You didn't mention that it was only your opinion, based on personal experience or not.

Incompetence is one thing. A company policy of deliberately pissing off your customers is quite another.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2003, 04:05:22 PM »
@Wilse

Various things? Incompetence on the part of the operators springs to mind. Saying staff, in general, are told to behave this way is a rather sweeping accusation that, if made against a firm in the amiga marketplace - with the same lack of proof, would be condemned as FUD and rightly so. You didn't mention that it was only your opinion, based on personal experience or not.  Incompetence is one thing. A company policy of deliberately pissing off your customers is quite another.  

Quite. Yet I must have spoken to at least a dozen different operators over the span of a few days, and every single one spent the first five minutes trying to tell me I was mistaken. If this is down to operator incompetence, it sounds pretty widespread, wouldn't you say?

I'm not actually blaming the operators. I blame the system, specifically the likely bad design of the software on which the automated account management is done. All it takes is one mistake and everything goes down the pan, but since there is no reason for an operator to assume the data they have on their screen is wrong they assume the customer is simply confused and angry and needs the facts explaining to him. This works fine with customers who really are confused, but irritates the hell out of people who ring up and actually know what they are talking about.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2003, 05:58:48 PM »
The_Editor wrote:

Only problem I have had is when my "Frog" USB modem went "out of sync" (Whatever that means).
'Sync' is, quite simply, the term for having a DSL connection across the line.  Basically, your phone line runs from your house to a 'DSLAM' ('DSL Access Multiplier') in the CO ('Central Office') or RT ('Remote Terminal,' a Central-Office-in-a-box sort of thing they can deploy by the roadside).  The 'voice' frequencies on the line are filtered and split off to the regular switching equipment (that handles all the regular 'phone-line' stuff - providing dialtone, ringing, accepting your touch-tones to place a call and routing your voice signal to the party on the other end), and the DSLAM is basically a rack of DSL modems that bridge everything onto the telco's data network, where your packets zip around various other sorts of wire and fiber until they're routed to the rest of the Internet.  

Since it's an always-on sort of link, either everything's "synched up" - the modem knows how to talk to the DSLAM, the DSLAM knows how to talk to the modem, and they can achieve this on a fairly constant basis without fail - or it isn't.

So when you "lose sync," it means something's gone bad with the connection between your modem and the DSLAM,*  the little green light goes out, and you have to live in the real world again. :cry:  Often it's a transient sort of thing - something happened to degrade the line quality below what's needed for the speed your link tries to run at, or some moron accidentally knocked your 'pair' (the two wires that make up your phone line) loose while installing someone else's service - but something frying in the modem would certainly cause it, too.

*Contrast this to, say, some idiot with a backhoe cutting the backbone fiber between your local CO and your provider's "peering center," the place where they connect their data network to those of other companies that make up the 'Internet.'  The link between your modem and the DSLAM would be fine - you'd still "have sync" - but 'your Internet would be out' nonetheless.  (Firstly because your packets just couldn't reach other networks; secondly because you rely on the DNS to turn 'www.amiga.org' into an address to connect to, and your provider's DNS servers need to check in with one of 13 authoritative servers stashed around the planet every once in a while, even if you just want to reach guy.next.door.connected.to.the.same.DSLAM.com!)

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2003, 11:22:36 PM »
Following the advice given on this list I submitted my complaint to BT Openworld, highlighting the points int he contract where they had been unfair.

They agreed, and now this issue is resolved.

Thanks again, all.

I appreciate the support you gave.

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2003, 07:15:34 PM »
I have some slightly distressing news - we canNOT get Telewest phone/tv/internet in our new house! :-x :cry:

And we're moving on Monday. :-o :nervous:

Tonight I'm phoning Sky to get that installed (can't live without Cartoon Network or Takeshi's Castle :-D), and I'll probably get a deal with them and BT (they used to do deals, I don't know if they still do).

Bloody annoying because with Telewest £13 a month is totally unlimited net access, but with BT you're paying £15.99 (?) for 6pm - 6am or something like that which is pure ####. :-x

AVOID BT Openworld!!!!

Unavoidable in this situation :-(

Oh, btw, good to see you got your problem solved :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2003, 10:18:06 PM »
Bloody annoying because with Telewest £13 a month is totally unlimited net access, but with BT you're paying £15.99 (?) for 6pm - 6am or something like that which is pure ####

Not quite.  BT Anytime (a package they do) allows "unlimited" free access at any time of day/week.  "Unlimited", because it's limited to 150 hours/month.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2003, 11:53:06 PM »
Hum,
i got banned for`abuse` of their services...
i was on line for more than 12 hours in a period of 24 hours!
Never mind the 150 hours a week....

I am now with Freeserve..just to play quake 3d of course.
 :-D

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2003, 12:22:05 AM »

mikeymike wrote:
Not quite.  BT Anytime (a package they do) allows "unlimited" free access at any time of day/week.  "Unlimited", because it's limited to 150 hours/month.

Yeah, that's what we'll end up getting.

We've been on the phone to BT and we can get connected for £75, an extra phone point put in for £45 , £11.50 a month for the line rental (BT Together) and £15.99 for the net (BT Anytime).

Grand total for the first month is: £147.49 :-o

I *really* hate BT (we've had nothing but bother with them in the past), but it's our only choice just now.  This means I can only get 4.8 hours net time a day :-(

With Telewest (well, Blueyonder really) it was £13 a month for unlimited (which really *is* unlimited) net access.

We also can't get BT installed until Monday 15th.  We move house on Monday 8th.  One whole week without a land line and net access :-(

The PCs and Miggys are moving on Sunday afternoon, so the last net time I'll get is Saturday night :-(

This week is gonna be hell :-P

Oh yeah, this also means that we can't get Sky installed until then aswell because they need to be connected to the phone line aswell.

Bloody annoying this is.  Ah well, at least I've got my Miggy and PS2 to keep me company for the week, oh and Siouxsie ;-)
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel