Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guidelines to avoid trolling ?  (Read 4818 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Guidelines to avoid trolling ?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2003, 01:52:16 PM »
@GadgetMaster

Just end every comment with "Amiga.org rulez!!" and you will be just fine :roflmao:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline GadgetMasterTopic starter

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2003, 01:56:32 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
@GadgetMaster

Just end every comment with "Amiga.org rulez!!" and you will be just fine :roflmao:

@Red

Yessir! Sir! :-P

Check out my new sig.

Offline Kees

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2003, 01:59:07 PM »
:lol:
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2003, 01:59:37 PM »

GadgetMaster wrote:
@Red

Yessir! Sir! :-P

Check out my new sig.

Hey you are all-right in my book. You are now labeled a non-troll and may speak as you wish;-)

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2003, 02:23:27 PM »
Is an unconstructive comment trolling.

Of course, it depends, but usually yes.
What it depends on is how you define unconstructive. Endless harping on about things I've heard gazillions of times before only serves to annoy me, hence I call it trolling.

Yes, I know some people think CAM is a scam because they haven't received their t-shirt/coupon. I see nothing wrong with having that opinion. But endlessly repeating it until it drowns out all constructive debate about how we as a community should move forwards doesn't really help the case, does it now? Of course, I personally don't believe much in the concept of revenge.

Other points:
Does the innocent and genuine praise of a chosen solution constitute trolling?

Well, if you ask like this, no. But there's a fine line between irony, sarcasm, fundamentalism and a few other things when you don't have anything except smileys (or lack thereof) to judge the poster by. For instance, I think very few posts appraising AmigaOS and claiming that Bill Buck is the devil (and using very BAD english as well) here and on ANN over the last few months can really be called innocent.

However, if I say that I have NO real interest in MorphOS but a lot of interest in OS4, from my personal (emotional and technical) point of view, then I fail to see how this can be considered trolling. Unless I would harp on endlessly about it when it is not contributing to the discussion, see the point above.

Presenting rumours like news? I consider that one of the worst kinds of trolling.

Mentioning something off topic isn't trolling as long as it is marked as such and further discussion is taken to a new thread. I know I could be better at this myself, so not complaining too much. But misters (in alphabetical order, mind you. I'm not saying either one is better than the other. They are both VERY VERY BAD) Alkis and Samface _certain_ should try to learn from past mistakes some day soon.

I think it's all a question of respect. I have a particularly bad feeling about moderators who take cheap shots at non-moderators in public, even when there is good reason for it. Some days it's necessary being a bastard, but you don't necessarily do it in front of everyone else (at least at my workplace my boss doesn't suddenly tell me I'm an idiot in front of everyone while we're having lunch. It also means I don't give him much of a reason to ;-) ).

Offline olegil

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2003, 02:26:06 PM »

redrumloa wrote:

Hey you are all-right in my book. You are now labeled a non-troll and may speak as you wish;-)

Damn, and I'm on a continous "being ignored even when I'm dead right" streak here. Argh :-)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2003, 02:42:25 PM »
@olegil

You are not being ignored, I'm just trying to add a little humor.

have a particularly bad feeling about moderators who take cheap shots at non-moderators in public, even when there is good reason for it.

Depends what you mean by cheap shots. Also keep n mind how much abuse certain moderators put up with themselves before they make a comment. Ideally things should be discussed in private, but that is not always possible when the other party has a habit of attacking in public. But I do agree it should be discussed in private when possible.

Some days it's necessary being a bastard, but you don't necessarily do it in front of everyone else (at least at my workplace my boss doesn't suddenly tell me I'm an idiot in front of everyone while we're having lunch. It also means I don't give him much of a reason to  ).

Well what if YOU called your boss an idiot in public in front of everyone? He would either lash out at you or simply fire you now wouldn't he?

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2003, 02:43:55 PM »
No. He would take me aside and tell me I was being a prick and expect me to retract my statement publically and thereby come off the better man.
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2003, 02:46:52 PM »
@DaveP

Only in union or GOV jobs. Anywhere else you'd be walking. But i get your point.

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2003, 03:08:46 PM »
quote]
redrumloa wrote:

Hey you are all-right in my book. You are now labeled a non-troll and may speak as you wish ;-)

Thanks, I shall try to use these newly given powers wisely. :lol:

Offline olegil

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2003, 03:40:20 PM »
@DaveP:
So would mine.

Offline olegil

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2003, 03:44:23 PM »
@red:
Yes, well. How come it's so popular to behave that way on online forums, then? I agree that you're putting up with a lot of trolling, but that really isn't an excuse to do it yourself.

Now, how about those other points in my comment, agree or not? (it seems moderators get _extremely_ jumpy when someone questions their behaviour, but I feel that if you can't question something, it's bound to only become worse. One of the most important points of not being a totalitarian system, that...)

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2003, 11:12:27 PM »

GadgetMaster wrote:
@BoringPerson

We shouldn't really.

Well, all I'm thinking, is that those who don't already troll, will follow the rules, and ofcourse those who do want to troll, erm..., wont follow the rules ;-)

Do you get what I am saying? :-)

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2003, 01:13:56 AM »

iamaboringperson wrote:

GadgetMaster wrote:
@BoringPerson

We shouldn't really.

Well, all I'm thinking, is that those who don't already troll, will follow the rules, and ofcourse those who do want to troll, erm..., wont follow the rules ;-)

Do you get what I am saying? :-)

I hear ya,

Its  just that some people might prefer to steer clear of things that others consider trolling but they themselves thought were perfectly innocent .

Mileage varies, different people have different tolerance levels. It is good to have different opinions about what  actions can make forums tedious.

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2003, 02:05:30 AM »
I think the worst trolls are very much aware of the fact that they are trolling, but I think this thread is a good idea still.

As with everything (as I think someone pointed out) it is the few that gives the mass a bad name.
I think most of you people are great, and I think the staff is doing an outstanding job whether I agree with their beliefs or not.

The great thing about this site - and the problem - is (imo, of course) that it is a site about the amiga and amiga related products of all kinds. That makes it a good, general site for everyone, but it also makes it a lot more...useful?...to push your agenda; for instance, you are not going to get a lot of people from amigaworld.net to agree with you when you state your pro-morphos agendas there. (just used as an example)

Personally I would like to see the moderators be a LOT stricter than they currently are, moderating far more as, imo, trolls are ruining a LOT of good threads lately, but I suppose that would put a tremendous amount of stress on the moderators, as they would probably get a bazillion more complaints than now. I am amazed to see people complain about the moderation as it is now. I think next to nothing gets moderated.

Keep up the good work, staff.

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup, on his staff-happy mission.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 23, 2003, 02:29:09 AM »
Guidelines to avoid trolling ?

Well, it seems to me the only way to avoid trolling is to talk about something totally unrelated to Amiga / Pegasos. Say, did I mention my ZXSpectrum?

Seriously, I dunno about everybody else, but I for one am bored to tears whenever either side kicks off. Its' done to death.

Someone asks a question about either platform. Usually within 10 posts it's degenerated into a troll fest.

Alternatively, someone just has to bring up a thread detailing system A's advantage to system B, or worse yet, bring it up in an existing thead purely to ruin it.
int p; // A