Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS3 security is "epic fail"  (Read 19622 times)

Description:

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:33:24 AM »
This is awesome news. I was royally pissed when they took this feature away. When I bought the PS3 that feature was touted by them and part of the reason I purchased the unit. When they took it away, saying it was optional but then you couldn't even log in anymore, I was furious. Suck it is all I can say.

On a side note the PS3 sucks anyway. One thing that bugs me about it is if you don't use it for like a week you need to update it. The update takes forever via wireless so you have to download it from a computer onto a USB stick and then transfer it. the xBox360 is so much better in that regard.

Enough of my rant anyways. I am glad this has happened. Sony took a feature away people paid for. Imagine someone pulling out the air conditioning in the car you bought because they thought you could modify the engine if they left it in there?
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;602791
Just another part of the 'you don't really own it" logic that prevails these day. I'm waiting for some corporate scumbag to suggest an addition to the Digital Mellinium Copyright act that makes altering your own pocessions a crime. Seems like the next logical step now that ripping MP3s from CDs you own is now technically illegal.

Trust me, I glad immortality is not possible because I am convinced the future hold a lot of qualifiers for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I thought using calculators in school was stupid (having been taught multiplication when I went to school).
I can't wait for the day when people have to be hardwired 24/7 to the internet (or something more corrupt) just to compete. I promise you , one day, technology and the Republican party will Borg us all (and you won't have a say in it - hell you'll probably be convinced to support it).

Damn! Now I sound like some kind of hybrid Tea party/scifi geek/paranoid conspiracy nut job. But a new stage in evolution is soon to come upon us, and I'm glad I'm too old to have to face the negative aspects of it.

I know exactly what you mean. It is an interesting place. i think something will give before it gets that bad though. We'll probably be due for a World War by then anyways.

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
Well, let's see. Jailbreaking an iPhone is now considered legal in the US. Apple didn't want anyone to jailbreak it, people have and it is legal. This is no different. People DO pirate stuff on the iPhone once it is jailbroken, though for a lot of people that is not why. I personally jailbreak my iPhone so that I can tether my iPad to it. This was a function that was not allowed by Apple. Others do it so that they can use the phone on another network and so on.

Piracy is against the law and I am all for that. I know how I felt when they took the Other OS feature away. That was wrong. I don't care what excuse they used. It was wrong. For me it was the principal of paying for something that was advertised as a feature and then it being taken away after you purchased it. There were MANY other ways they could protect themselves from that hack - like Microsoft do with banning from xBox live.  Stealing what you rightly paid for was not right.