Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS3 security is "epic fail"  (Read 19624 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:56:08 AM »
Are we sure Sony can't find a defense for this? I've longed for real access to PS3 hardware (that wasn't intentionally crippled by the hypervisor).

I'd go for a PPC OS ported to the PS3 - cool hardware!
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:17:40 AM »
Quote from: Tension;602781
They can always ban the PS3 from PSN.  The bastards.

Maybe they'll just release the PS4.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:24 AM »
Quote from: dentunes;602787
This is awesome news. I was royally pissed when they took this feature away. When I bought the PS3 that feature was touted by them and part of the reason I purchased the unit. When they took it away, saying it was optional but then you couldn't even log in anymore, I was furious. Suck it is all I can say.

On a side note the PS3 sucks anyway. One thing that bugs me about it is if you don't use it for like a week you need to update it. The update takes forever via wireless so you have to download it from a computer onto a USB stick and then transfer it. the xBox360 is so much better in that regard.

Enough of my rant anyways. I am glad this has happened. Sony took a feature away people paid for. Imagine someone pulling out the air conditioning in the car you bought because they thought you could modify the engine if they left it in there?

Just another part of the 'you don't really own it" logic that prevails these day. I'm waiting for some corporate scumbag to suggest an addition to the Digital Mellinium Copyright act that makes altering your own pocessions a crime. Seems like the next logical step now that ripping MP3s from CDs you own is now technically illegal.

Trust me, I glad immortality is not possible because I am convinced the future hold a lot of qualifiers for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I thought using calculators in school was stupid (having been taught multiplication when I went to school).
I can't wait for the day when people have to be hardwired 24/7 to the internet (or something more corrupt) just to compete. I promise you , one day, technology and the Republican party will Borg us all (and you won't have a say in it - hell you'll probably be convinced to support it).

Damn! Now I sound like some kind of hybrid Tea party/scifi geek/paranoid conspiracy nut job. But a new stage in evolution is soon to come upon us, and I'm glad I'm too old to have to face the negative aspects of it.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »
Quote from: dentunes;602826
I know exactly what you mean. It is an interesting place. i think something will give before it gets that bad though. We'll probably be due for a World War by then anyways.

Thanks, I thought my constant rumination on the global economic slump, the constant attack on personal freedoms and civil liberties, global military tension, and the  potential negative consequences of technology might be just depression.
But I keep hearing sane rational people telling me that their worried that while things are bad, that they could get REALLY bad. Anyway what can you do?

So, to go right back to topic, a MorphOS PS3? Yeah!

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »
Quote from: Piru;602920
Actually currently you need to hack the PS3 with the USB dongle. This will change once the disc keys (and any other keys that might be needed) have been recovered. Later on this should change, however.

Thanks for the clarification, Piru. I don't want hacked software, but a $299 MorphOS console would be nice. How hard is it going to be to figure out the undocumented hardware that has previously been hidden by the hypervisor?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;603026
I have to say I dont like the attitude on here, of them coders and off other sites towards Sony, they make the ps3 its their product so they get to decide what should and shouldn't be allowed on it, if you don't like it, dont support them and get your self a cheap Linux box for all your home brew you could ask for.  

One the main reason I have not got a apple product, like the iphone or an ipad is because of its controlling nature and not allow flash and other things, shore I could buy their product and get it hacked to allow me to use some of this stuff, but then I'm supporting the company that I don't really agree with. Thats why I'm much more interested in company that are a lot more open like http://www.fungp.com/ and supporting them.

I'm pretty sure the only reason that OtherOS was removed was due to hack made with that option being open, so they had to close it off, but once one way is found around the hack usually loads more follow so I'm not surprised its happened, I just dont agree with the way the hacker are spinning it that the only reason they did it was due to Sony pulling linux support.  

Still at least they got blue ray to protect it kind off, as to download 50gb games will take ages and the extra expense of blue ray still make ps3 bit of a problem for pirates, which I'm happy about.

Everyone says that piracy doest do any harm to these big multimillion pound companies and they deserver it, but everyone forgets about the middle men, I mean recently where I live Blockbuster has closed down and gaming, cds and dvd sections are disappearing off the shelves, why partly because of things going digital, mp3 etc, plus online shopping but I think a bigger reason for it happing so quick is because more and more people are pirating games and movies.  

I also believe its why so many publisher gave up on the Amiga more quickly because piracy was pretty bad on the Amiga, I mean you had all the tools to make copies of software with every Amiga sold.

I actually I understand and acknowledge the principles your discussing. And I do believe that creators of a product deserve to be paid for their work.
But I still find it a little offensive that a manufacturer would think that once they've sold me something, that they still have control over how I use it.
I can understand Sony's concerns, but what about people who bought the PS3 for the 'Other OS' option and then later had that feature removed from a item already in their possession? In a way, I view that as deceptive and a form of theft.

Further, it has never been my intent to use an unlock PS# console to hack or run pirated software. Rather, I would orefer full access to the hardware when running an alternate OS rather than have that access intentionally crippled by Sony's restrictions placed via the hypervisor.

This is a curious issue, Yes its Sony's intellectual propert, but once I buy it, if I don't seek to use it to disseminate pirated software, do I not have the right to do with my own property whatever I see fit?

Apparently thanks to the Digital Mellenium Copyright Act I do not. Nor is it legal anymore to transcode cds to MP3, backup software, or do many other things that were taken for granted as fair use once I bought a prpduct up until recently.

Frankly, this is why I don't own a PS3 or any recent Apple product nor do I intend to purchase hardware or software from these companies.

Remember, it was Sony via BMG that was installing rootkit software onto people computers when they used their audio CDs up until a few years ago who asking permission to install software first. This lead to a class action suiy that Sony lost. I know, I received new copies of all my Sony/BMG CDs because of this and was awarded several additionasl CDs.
'
Sony's obcession with DRM and copyright protection goes overboard far too many times and its easy to side with those poised against their interests.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
Quote from: billt;603214
I disagree.

Did XBMC == piracy for Xbox?

Does Linux == piracy?

Do DIY games == piracy?

Would an AROS port == piracy?

This stuff does make piracy possible, yes, but it's not "All" there is.

It simple, distributing the software key is an unauthorized use of Sony IP.
You may see an open/freely disbuted OS like Linux us this hack, but it really unlikely AOS4 or MorphOS would be ported to this platform without the direct approval of Spny (whether the hack exists or not) as  this would open up Hyperion or the MorphOS development team to legal actions.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
I have no doubt Sony will attempt to plug this via some "security" related update. And once they have they will insist that in order to access PSN you must have that update installed.
So Sony's security/protection scheme has failed. And its neat that we will have the full access to hardware that was previously blocked by the hypervisor.
But I think labeling this as "epic" is premature and I don't think this is over yet (not by a long shot).

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
Quote from: ejstans;606474
It is epic, there is no other word for it, and it's certainly not premature to call it that. If you read the slides or watched the presentation, you'll see. It's an unbelieable screw up by Sony, simply unbelievable...

A conspiracy-inclined mind might well suspect it was intentional...

Yes, the level of stupidity here makes it seem almost suspicious. But Sony has gone out of their way to prevent this in the past, so it probably is what it seems on the surface, a mistake.
And with time and consideration I wouldn't put it past Sony to devise a counter strategy. Its hard to anticipate how they might be able to plug this hole, but since they haven't responded yet I think its more than fair to consider calling this fight over to be premature..

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:38:36 PM »
Quote from: Hammer;606492
Android 2.1/2.2 needs constant internet connection(for Google cloud services) for hands-free/voice activation**. **A safety feature while driving the car. My old Nokia Smart Phone doesn't require this BS.

Thanks Hammer,
That is the strongest argument I've heard against Android in a long time. My home State has started requiring hand free operation in vehicles as of Jan 1st.
Requiring an Internet connection is just stupid.

Its time consumer took a stand against devices that force specific "features" on us.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 11:47:52 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;606497
It's also complete bollox!

It doesn't require an internet connection to use my Bluetooth hands free adapter.

A question, Nicholas. Do Android devices have to be constantly connected to the Internet to have any real utility or are there enough non-cloud based apps to make it worth using when you're not connected? Because frankly I'm not convinced that 'Cloud Computing' isn't another enormous scam.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;606502
You don't need the internet for anything except installing apps from the market.

My 12yr old son's handset is NEVER connected to the internet except for when he visits me at weekends and uses my wifi to get more apps.

Thanks, I just like the idea of Linux based devices. The idea that Microsoft is readying a version of Windows 8 for ARM is troubling.