Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Unable to format any floppies...  (Read 3245 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: Unable to format any floppies...
« on: May 06, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
I have a trio of 1200’s... a 3000 two 1000’s, and a defunct 2000... I am restoring them all, but wanted to play with the new 3.1.4 os, but I am unable to create floppies...

I built a dedicated win7 machine with a floppy drive and successfully formatted the disks, so I know they aren’t bad, but I get bad sector errors, on the amigas...

I suppose the drives are dirty, I will hit them with IPA, and some microfiber, or cotton swabs, and see if it improves, but ALL my amigas have the same issue?

Yes if you've had crumby disks in them it could easily do what you describe. Disks stored in damp garages or sheds or steamy lofts are prime candidates. A cleaning disk and solution is the easiest method with appropriate software from aminet. I can tell you exactly what program I use for this later on tonight.

Offline paul1981

Re: Unable to format any floppies...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »

Yes if you've had crumby disks in them it could easily do what you describe. Disks stored in damp garages or sheds or steamy lofts are prime candidates. A cleaning disk and solution is the easiest method with appropriate software from aminet. I can tell you exactly what program I use for this later on tonight.

I use 'Head Cleaner' from aminet, it has a simple GUI and works: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/headcleaner372