Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tips on moving to Linux?  (Read 20998 times)

Description:

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Re: Tips on moving to Linux?
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;761381
Check out the Blender interface - it's designed for space aliens, by space aliens. The technical underpinnings may be excellent, but they're accessible only via a poorly-designed UI, which is a lot of Linux software in a nutshell.
Check out the current version, 2.70. The improvements that have been made since 2.49 (which is indeed a pig) are astronomical. Same for the 2.6 versions.

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2014, 09:47:28 AM »
Heres a few tips from me regarding Linux.

Firstly I am making the assumption that you dont have any special requirements other than general usage.

1) Web Browsing - Just like Windows and OSX you have Chrome and Firefox available. Despite the fact that these pieces of software are open source the interfaces are great and are pretty much identical on all three platforms.

2) Office Software - Open Office, and Libre Office are available and for general usage are very capable. These are also free and available on Windows an OSX. The interface is pretty much the same across all three major operating systems. If you absolutely must have MSOffice . you have 3 choices
     a) use the online version of office through the browser - your experience will be the same in any browser.

b) use the open source Virtual Box software and use windows & office that way. Virtual Box is a really awesome piece of software!

c) use wine - you wont be able to use the latest and greatest version of  office but older versions will work just fine. You might want to consider using codeweavers / crossover office to make installation a breeze. Although distributions such as ubuntu include wine and it is possible to double click "setup.exe" just like in Windows you will probably get a more reliable experience using a wizard (like crossover or playonlinux)

In addition to these options which may be familiar to you there is also Caligra suite - this has a really sumptiuos look and feel!

4) Music Composition - Bitwig Studio (A brand new Ableton Live killer) , Renoise (Octamed Soundstudio on steroids , and then some!) . There are a ton of other interesting music compostion packages out there too . LMMS (like fruity loops), Traktion , EnergyXT , Rosegarden the list goes on.

5) Photo Manipulation - If you want to run photoshop your options are the same as 2) above! Commercial offerings include "Aftershot Pro" , "Pixel" , VueScan. There is also the free GIMP (interface can take time to get used to - there are plenty of online tutorials and is very powerful), Krita plus the multitude of online image editors.

6) 3D modeling - Many of the industry standard 3D modelling software is also available on linux such as Maya , Autodesk , Houdini , Realsoft 3D . There is also the free Blender (previously commercial software) which again has a tricky interface but after following a few of the online tutorials and learning the hot keys you will get to grips with it.

7) Vector editing -(Previously Commercial) Xara Extreme , Inkscape , Karbon14 - there are a ton more but these are the top 3

8) Watching Video - VLC you are probably already using this on windows or Mac but this software can play pretty much anything you can throw at it! In fact Linux has pretty much the most comprehensive set of tools for playing media than any other platform. from XBMC to Boxee (with home theatre interfaces) .

9) Listening to Music - Again there are many music players for linux ranging from the winamp like "Audacious" , to some really great offerings such as "Banshee" and "Amarok" . There is no iTunes, but lets face it iTunes has a terrible interface and there are much better alternatives on all 3 platforms.

10) Hardware support - While you will probably have more luck installing Ubuntu on a 5 year old PC , than Windows 8 its still a good idea to check hardware compatibility with linux before you purchase a PC or new components. You cant just assume that cheap inkjet from the store will work with linux , just the same as you couldnt make that assumption for OSX or Windows. As a general rule i tend to stick with all intel chipsets as these pretty much work out of the box. If I was building a desktop PC i would almost certainly go for NVidia over AMD for the GPU, although both now provide open source drivers and should work out of the box , the NVidia proprietary drivers are tops!

11) Gaming - No doubt about it this is Linux achillies heel. Windows is still trumps as far as this is concerned. However things are changing - unless you have been hiding somewhere you might already be aware that Valve have recently brought out the Linux based SteamOS  , and vowed to port many of their games to Linux. They have really changed the playing field as a result . CryTek announced CRYENGINE is available for Linux and this looks like a trend set to continue.

12) Retro Gaming - UAE  , MAME  - most of the open source emulators you may already be using started out here so you can continue using them as you see fit!

So - its not all doom and gloom Linux has an exciting ecosystem and while its been a long time coming its gathering momentum as a commercial platform as well as a community one.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
some useful software I've come across:

DeVeDe - use it to create DVD's with titles, background music, images out of .avi's, mpegs etc..
QTerm - I use to to connect to places like CottonwoodBBS via telnet, works great.
VirtualBox- create virtual machines to test various other operating systems before actually installing on a real machine.
K3B- burn stuff to cd/dvd, if its not standard with your distro, you can always install it via *Ubuntu's software manager
Mondo- very damn useful.  I use it to back up my servers to get a full image put on .iso's.   Something goes wrong..boot disk 1 of iso's and restore the entire server from backup.  Works with desktops, laptops, same concept.
KTorrent- if you download stuff via torrents, this is a great program also.  Easy to use/setup.

E-UAE- Amiga emulator w/GUI interface
fs-uae-  another Amiga emulator, in the under construction phase.  Looks good so far.

OpenShot- video editor..you can put together family or whatever type videos with this, add music etc.

mypaint- if you like drawing..this is a nice piece to install.  reminds me of Dpaint.
Audacity-audio editor.. I've used it to make ringtones for my phones
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;761424
When babelfish or google translate can convert trollspeak, I'll understand you better.  Till then, its all greek to me.

@TheMagicM,

You really have to excuse CommodoreJohn, remember he is still using a C64 for his computing needs, the reason he hates PC's so much is nobody told him yet that he has to plug in his keyboard and that he has placed mouse traps all around his computer since he was told he has a mouse with his computer.

Remember, to install Linux today you have to know how to download an ISO, burn it  to a DVD, then turn  off your  computer put the DVD in the computer, turn it on and then you have to type in your name when asked and think up a password, know  your timezone and then Linux pretty much install itself. The reason CommodoreJohn thinks that Linux is such a kludge is because he has to put in the password  twice after he gets done thinking of one, I  know CJ it is so confusing.

Well now that i came in and stirred up the pot, I will run now because I know CJ will be at his best.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2014, 02:07:27 PM »
Quote from: smerf;761449
@TheMagicM,

You really have to excuse CommodoreJohn, remember he is still using a C64 for his computing needs, the reason he hates PC's so much is nobody told him yet that he has to plug in his keyboard and that he has placed mouse traps all around his computer since he was told he has a mouse with his computer.

Remember, to install Linux today you have to know how to download an ISO, burn it  to a DVD, then turn  off your  computer put the DVD in the computer, turn it on and then you have to type in your name when asked and think up a password, know  your timezone and then Linux pretty much install itself. The reason CommodoreJohn thinks that Linux is such a kludge is because he has to put in the password  twice after he gets done thinking of one, I  know CJ it is so confusing.

Well now that i came in and stirred up the pot, I will run now because I know CJ will be at his best.

smerf

LMFAO!!!! That was good.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »
I forgot to add...

I have had trouble trying to install from a USB stick. No problems installing from a DVD however.
Any tips on installing from a USB stick? Is it worth fiddling with the BIOS to do it?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Okay folks,

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a choice between Lubuntu and Ubuntu.  I have considered the distros made for music making (i.e. Linux Studio) but I like to start off with a clean slate rather than have a lot of apps installed for me beforehand.

So, what is the real difference between Lubuntu and Ubuntu, other than that the former is "lighter"?  If it is lighter, but can do all the same things, than why doesn't everyone just use that?  

Also, if I do go with Lubuntu, am I going to be able to find that programs are already available in precompiled version for that distro?  Will I be able to just download Ubuntu compiled stuff and run it?

I guess what I'm asking is - what is the "downside" of Lubuntu over regular Ubuntu?  The website doesn't make it clear.  The Ubuntu site says Ubuntu only needs a 700Mhz processor and 500MB RAM - so that seems pretty light already!

Remember, I'm going to install this on an 8 year old PC (P4, 3GBRAM) so that was another reason I was attracted to the "lighter" sounding Lubuntu.

Thanks, really appreciate all the suggestions.

Also, is there anything like Irfanview for Linux?  I love that little utility.

Looking at Amiga emulators for Linux, there seems to be a few (FS-UAE, E-UAE) - which is better developed?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:05:29 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline smerf

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;761451
I forgot to add...

I have had trouble trying to install from a USB stick. No problems installing from a DVD however.
Any tips on installing from a USB stick? Is it worth fiddling with the BIOS to do it?

I believe Spatry has a course on that on Spatry's cup of Linux, you can look it up on Youtube.

This guy has so many video's on Linux, just ran into it about 3 days ago, need info, Spatry probably has an answer for it on a video.

Didn't look it up myself, but i know I have seen it.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;761452
Okay folks,

Also, is there anything like Irfanview for Linux?  I love that little utility.

You CAN run irfanview thru wine on Linux if you really wanted to.  Check out gthumb also..

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;761451
I forgot to add...

Does it boot from USB stick or completely bypasses it without trying?  Can you go into the boot menu and manually tell it to boot from USB stick?

Offline smerf

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »
@ral-clan,

Good choice on Ubuntu type OS's, lubuntu is lighter because it is basically made to work on old laptops, computers, and some of today's tablets. I tried this a couple of days ago, and it seems real  nice. Uses about 512 megs of memory (if I remember right) so you don't need a massive amount of memory, and very light on graphics usage.

You won't get all  that much eye candy,  or desktop mods, but can be downloaded and used, and yes you can use Ubuntu programs on it, as long as your machine has the space memory etc.

But, like all things, the more you add the  more machine resources it needs. By light weight Linux means something you can put on an old machine, like my Toshiba laptop, with 512 megs of memory, and a 10 gig hard drive. (and to think an Amiga 4000 uses only a 1.2 gig HD and 18 meg of memory, original one guys not your souped up do  everything Amiga's today my A4000 came with 10 meg hd thats  right 20 meg, not gig).

Anyhow if you get a chance try Zorin  OS 8, Premium, if  you get the Ultimate you will have to pay money because of more packages installed. It is at  http://www.zorin.com.

I like it over ubuntu, because it has wine, playonlinux, and wine tricks, so I can play my Windows games (look at the listing provided for programs that work). I like the look (mine is windows 7) and the feel, I am using the 64 bit version, but had a hard time installing Far Cry 2, it  kept giving me a IBE64.exe error, which I believe  is caused by not being a 64 bit game, need to look it up. I know  I had problems with Far Cry 2 with my 64 bit Windows XP os. Which I removed and went back  to Windows XP 32 bit OS because of multiple problems.

Hope this helped, my top three  choice right now are Zorin, Ubuntu, and then Lubuntu with PinguyOS, and Majora bringing up the rear. Really my first and favorite OS is Amiga OS 3.9, but oh well, my last  favorite OS is Windows, although I do like Windows 8.1 installed on my 2nd place PC computer, with Windows 7 holding first, but Windows 7 is  so sluggish, compared to Windows 8, that I am thinking of going to Windows 8.1 on all my game machines, but refuse  to do so as of yet, because MS just has to much control of your computer (can you say NSA). Mac's and especially PC's have given in to NSA, and over 100,000 computers have shipped with rf wave activated devices on them which can be turned on or off by the NSA for spy purposes.

America Land of the Free, but only if you can pay your taxes. Spent 20 years in the Military only to run into this obamaination.

By the way when Linux maker Torvedous was asked by the NSA for a back door into their OS, his  reply was there are so many different  distro's and people doing stuff it would probably be good for only a couple of days and that he could think of no way to back  door Linux.

smerf

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
Quote from: smerf;761459

By the way when Linux maker Torvedous
smerf

you probably meant his brother Torvalds.. ;-)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
Pinquyos http://pinguyos.com/

Definitely the best place to start for a beginner.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »
Quote from: smerf;761449
@TheMagicM,

Remember, to install Linux today you have to know how to download an ISO, burn it  to a DVD, then turn  off your  computer put the DVD in the computer, turn it on and then you have to type in your name when asked and think up a password, know  your timezone and then Linux pretty much install itself....

smerf

You dont even need to do that nowadays if you use the "Windows Installer"  ...

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

N...

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
I like the Ubuntu "Studio" version because it included GIMP.  Definitely a great program if you plan on doing any photo editing at all.  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #104 from previous page: March 28, 2014, 05:46:55 PM »
Quote from: smerf;761459
@ral-clan,

Good choice on Ubuntu type OS's, lubuntu is lighter because it is basically made to work on old laptops, computers, and some of today's tablets. I tried this a couple of days ago, and it seems real  nice. Uses about 512 megs of memory (if I remember right) so you don't need a massive amount of memory, and very light on graphics usage.

Yeah, I understand Lubuntu is meant for older computers - but what have they cut out of it besides the eye candy?  Is it less functional than Ubuntu?

Also, is there any way to have a shared folder between your Windows and Linux partitions, so you can, for instance, save a graphics project you've been working on on the Linux side and when you load Windows you can access it?

Thanks.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com