Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench loading issues  (Read 1112 times)

Description:

Offline LaughyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Laughy
Workbench loading issues
« on: April 08, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately I'm back with another problem!

Amiga is nearly back together, just on last stage of retrobriting the keys, some have taken 4 or 5 treatments, mainly the white keys. Still not quite there..

Anyway, have been playing a bit of Project X, had a funny thing happen, where it loaded a bit, then asked for Disk 4! Strange as it's only on two disks! Then noticed that I hadn't replaced the trapdoor expansion!

Put that back in, and Project X loaded ok.

Thought I'd try workbench to see if the memory expansion is registered. Unfortunately it no longer loads, it was fine just a couple of days ago, prior to keyboard being taken apart. All that has happened since is, I have cleaned corrosion off of floppy drive, and lightly oiled top of outer casing.

Just wondering if workbench not loading is a hardware issue? It does a few different things on loading.

e.g.

Loads a bit, then asks for the disk to be replaced in the drive. At the moment I'm unable to click retry, as my mouse is in bits getting cleaned up.

It loads and then looks as if a key has been pressed down, it's been a 1 and - so far, different each time. But it types about 2 and a half lines. Then stops, after a while the drive may turn a few times. But loads no further.

Could it be that I've been a bit clumsy and some oil or, dust has got into the drive, or would one of the CIA chips be faulty?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:39:09 PM by Laughy »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Workbench loading issues
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
Can you access the early startup menu?  Boot with no startup, and load your startup-sequence/user-startup/WBStartup programs one-at-a-time, see where the error is?  Obviously this will be pretty tough without a mouse.  :-/
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:55:22 PM »
I'll put the mouse back together in the next hour or so.
I will need to be walked through your suggestion though, as I haven't used workbench for a long time, and am not sure how to go about doing any of those things.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 07:30:53 PM »
After loading for a while this is what I have on the screen.
[ATTACH]2861[/ATTACH]
It stopped loading. The disk not validated, you MUST replace workbench 1.3 on volume 0 appeared, then disappeared of it's own accord.

Then nothing happened for a few minutes while I took the photo. Then it does a lot more loading, but no change to the screen, except the cursor crept left across the screen!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
You're booting from a hard drive?  Or floppy?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
Booting from the floppy, it's all I've got!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
I'd start with the following:

- Inspect your work on reassembling the keyboard for any stuck keys, also check that connectors are tight, etc.
- Run a floppy drive head cleaner in your drive a few times
- Try booting with a different copy of Workbench disk, if possible

Offline GadgetUK

• Show only replies by GadgetUK
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;731596
I'd start with the following:

- Inspect your work on reassembling the keyboard for any stuck keys, also check that connectors are tight, etc.
- Run a floppy drive head cleaner in your drive a few times
- Try booting with a different copy of Workbench disk, if possible

I would check keyboard is put back together properly - you've not let water get in there have you?  ie after retrobrite you dried the keys, put spring under each key etc?  If you are testing with key caps off it will think you are pressing some of them.

Regards the floppy errors it sounds like the disk detect sensor is playing up.  Theres a pin switch that presses when the disk is it the drive, sometimes those switches need cleaning.  Also, the spring that pulls the mechanism closed when the disk is in sometimes weakens which makes it not pull the disk down onto the aforementioned switch.  Take drive lid off and see how it things are while its running - make sure disk mechanism is pulling disk down onto that switch.

I would clean the switches with WD40, but dont get it on the heads.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »
Mistaken "closed keys" as key presses can interrupt WB loading. This will ruin your day. Do everything to make sure the keys/pads are clean and dry, that the spring is working, and that there are no aberrant keys being closed.

You can check the disk drive loading by disconnecting the keyboard.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »
Thanks,

Yes, it was the keyboard. I couldn't wait to test the memory, and the keys were still fizzing away!!

I'll try not to post anymore pointless queries! I'm just not that used to experimenting with my Amiga.

Loaded workbench with keyboard assembled, available memory was 887112, does that figure sound right for a half meg trapdoor expansion?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 01:10:16 AM »
Quote from: Laughy;731903
Loaded workbench with keyboard assembled, available memory was 887112, does that figure sound right for a half meg trapdoor expansion?

Close enough.  Workbench uses some of your available 1MB of memory when it loads.  You could try disabling any extras in your Startup-Sequence or running a two-color screen to squeeze a little more out.  ;)

Glad you got the keyboard resolved.