Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst Amiga's EVER!  (Read 5397 times)

Description:

Offline PG

• Show only replies by PG
Re: Worst Amiga
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 09, 2004, 03:13:51 AM »
A500 and A500+
A600 & A1200 is great computers!..:-)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Worst Amiga's EVER!
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2004, 03:41:30 AM »
A500+ was the worst Amiga ever. It wasnt real A500, it wasnt A600, it was A500+ with poor game compatibility without anything interesting on the machine.

I owned A600 (upgraded from A500) and it was really cute. I could use cheap IDE HD (it was sloooooooow but still), it came with Kickstart 2.05, PCMCIA slot for cheap expansion cards, and mine came with 2MB chip RAM. It was really "wow!" when majority was using A500 and few poor souls with A500+. Of course I could not run all games anymore, but to be honest, A1200 was not better in that.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline julnn

• Show only replies by julnn
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2004, 09:53:50 AM »
RRRRRRRRRggggghHHH

I'd have to say the A3000....
because I got some of the very first...  apparently not quite finished ones, though Commodore didn't mention that to me. Maybe somebody warned me about using ther Digi-View thing with an A3000...? Somehow, it destroyed the A3000 internally.
Commodore, in a show of excellent  customer service, sent me a new A3000 without even asking for the old one back! So... then I had two A3000s. It wasn't long before the new one was destroyed in some weird way also, apparently by the Digiview thing but possibly due to aulty electronics inn other  ways (according to the techs I talked to, it just wasn't really ready to be released at the time... must have been Fall '89) . We had the motherboards replaced on both of them, if I recall.
The A3000 was great, though, MUCH better than an A500 due to the 68030 processor, higher resolutions, built in HD and WB 2.0. However, man games - Shadow of the Beast or instance - simply would not run properly, due to the graphics hardware or the OS I guess.
If I could do it all again, I'd get a 2000 or 2500 and soup it up instead of buying the A3000. We did end up with two, though.. that was cool.

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2004, 11:27:48 AM »
The worst Amiga has to be the A600.
I think the A500+ is passable because it advanced the A500's architecture and brought us ECS and Workbench 2.x to the low end systems, but the A600 was just a plain step backwards. If the A1200 came along straight away instead of the A600 (a good 6 months earlier or so) things would have been so much better, and they would have been another 5-6 months ahead with AAA by the time Commodore folded (or completed it for all I know)
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline The_Power_of_the_Ginger

• Show only replies by The_Power_of_the_Ginger
    • http://madowl.coconia.net
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2004, 03:03:50 PM »
Right, so at the moment it's looking like a cross between the CDTV, the A500+ and the A600.

For starters, not much has been mentioned of the CD32, which had practically nothing going for it in terms of software, and as soon as other Amigas got affordable CD drives (and something called a Playstation came around) it was useless.

The CDTV? Still plays CDs, doesn't it? Well, then. Can't be the worst if you can listen to Queen on it.

The A500+? The worst Amiga? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR TINY LITTLE MI-hold it, calm down. No, it wasn't the worst. I'd make the argument that, as someone else touched upon, this was the Amiga to the Amiga 500 as the small PSOne was to the original Playstation. Not physically, on the outside, but it was spruced up. And I had around 250 games for it. 250 worked without incompatibility issues. Cheers. Still can't quite see the reason for the '+' was for.

So, this leaves the A600. More for less. Flight sims are rendered useless, it was released at about the same time as the A1200 (uh- wha?), but at least it could fit in a briefcase.

Hm, the A600 is the worst then, followed by the CD32.
\\"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!\\"

Offline Indigo

• Show only replies by Indigo
    • http://www.monstersandnekkidladies.com
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2004, 11:28:04 PM »
Granted, I'm a little late to the party here, but I feel the need to defend my Miggy.  So En Garde!

I own 2 A500+'s, one I bought cheap (even though it came with a hard drive), and one which was given to me.  Both of them have survived numerous moves (at least 7) and are still in perfect working order.  Freakin' tanks, these things.  I tell ya.

I can play games, I can program in a number of languages (ARexx being my personal favorite), I could even jump onto BBS's (back in the day) and raise a little hell here and there.

Sure, it wasn't the be-all and end-all Uber-Komputer (insert umlauts over every other vowel there...), but it sure isn't the "Worst Amiga Ever!!!11 OMGWTFLOL!!!"

(sorry...that's my tween-ager AOL-user impression...)  ;)

Blah blah blah...anyway, yeah.  You get the picture.  That little machine rocks!  To the point where my son (who grew up with it) begged me to install AmigaForever on his PC.

Boy's a chip off the old block.  Hoo hah.

Offline amigean

• Show only replies by amigean
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2004, 11:29:10 PM »
ha ha ha, it turns out we really don't like amigas after all.

if I've got this right:

the A1000 had no kickstart roms and only 256k of ram

The A500 was too basic and limited in its expansion options

the A500+ was incompatible and had no real reason to exist

the A600 was obsolete by the time it was out

the A1200 was too little too late; could not play DOOM

the A2000 was too heavy, big and ugly for being a disguised A500

the 2500, 1500 were as above

the A3000 was buggy and SOTB didn't run

the A4000 had no flickerfixer and Ramsey was buggy

the CD32 had no games-

the CDTV was not much more than a CD player you connect to your TV

the AmigaONE is broken

the Pegasos is not Amiga

AROS PCs still make the annoyning df0: click sound

- have I missed something?  

:-D

Offline The_Power_of_the_Ginger

• Show only replies by The_Power_of_the_Ginger
    • http://madowl.coconia.net
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2004, 11:40:39 PM »
Wait, Doom did work on the A1200! Even a bog-standard one. Just ran l--i--k--e---t--h--i--s.

There, I've defended one of them...
\\"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!\\"

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2004, 11:42:16 PM »
Wow, I must be out of touch. . . I didn't know there was a bad Amiga  :-D
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2004, 12:51:30 AM »

amigean wrote:
ha ha ha, it turns out we really don't like amigas after all.

if I've got this right:

the A1000 had no kickstart roms and only 256k of ram

The A500 was too basic and limited in its expansion options

the A500+ was incompatible and had no real reason to exist

the A600 was obsolete by the time it was out

the A1200 was too little too late; could not play DOOM

the A2000 was too heavy, big and ugly for being a disguised A500

the 2500, 1500 were as above

the A3000 was buggy and SOTB didn't run

the A4000 had no flickerfixer and Ramsey was buggy

the CD32 had no games-

the CDTV was not much more than a CD player you connect to your TV

the AmigaONE is broken

the Pegasos is not Amiga

AROS PCs still make the annoyning df0: click sound

- have I missed something?  

:-D

:lol:
That's pretty much on the money....yes!
I like Amigas

Offline RottyDude

• Show only replies by RottyDude
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2004, 09:24:35 AM »
My list for the worst Amigas ever would have to be the following:

Amiga 600
Amiga 1200
Amiga 4000
Amiga 4000T

AGA was a selling gimmick that Commodore used to sell these low quality Amiga models.  They wanted people to move away from the then popular, higher quality Amiga 2000 and 3000 Series.  The lower quality Amiga 600 was meant to replace the higher quality Amiga 500 (Commodore's most successful Amiga model).  Commodore could no longer afford to produce the high quality Amiga 2000, 3000, and 500 Series, so they were pushing the sales of the lower quality Amiga 600, 1200, 4000, and 4000T.  People in America quit buying the Amiga because of this.

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2004, 09:53:09 AM »
What a surreal thread!  Somebody calling the Amiga 1000 "The worst Amiga ever?!?!"

The Amiga 1000 is the Amiga!!   I didn't know there was even a small percentage of the population that didn't understand that.  I think it was Dale Luck or somebody of that stature who said "You can determine if it's a true Amiga is it has a keyboard garage."  How can you be "the worst something" when you are the benchmark?  

I'd cry "trolling!" but I really think the person who started this thread was serious!

I'll bet this guy calls the Atari VCS the "worst game console ever" and Sean Connery the "Worst Bond Ever!" :-P

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2004, 12:15:08 PM »
Surely the worst amiga ever was the atari ST - a cruddy A500 wannabe :-P

(just having a wee joke)
int p; // A

Offline Samuar

• Show only replies by Samuar
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2004, 12:43:24 PM »
My A500+ was ace. I never had incompatibility issues - then again, I always read the back of software boxes under the section "Hardware Specifications Required".

Many a day I had fun playing "Bart Simpson Vs The Space Mutants", one of the Dizzy adventures or another, the F/A-18 Flight Simulator. I'm only 20 now, so you can imagine how young I was at the time.

Don't mess with the A500+.

I agree about the A600 tho. It felt too small - keys were too close together, no num pad. My friends didn't do anything with their A600s that my A500+ couldnt do.

How I miss those days.

Samuar
Dell Dimension 5000; Dell Inspiron 1300.

Offline dmac721

• Show only replies by dmac721
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2004, 01:22:35 PM »

The first 500 I bought was AFTER it was discontinued and the price at software etc. was like $200 clearance. The guy kept trying to talk me into buying a 600, but I already had a 2000HD so I wasn't budging. Guess it was a good thing.

Offline MayhemMaybe

• Show only replies by MayhemMaybe
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2004, 02:16:23 PM »
My list of worst Amigas:

A600 - More expensive and less usefull A500. It had no reason to exist and brought nothing to the table over a stock 500 aside from the IDE controller. It was a game machine that rendered itself incapable of playing some of the most popular games of its time (flight sims) through its lack of a numeric keypad.

A3000 - Even with its 32bit bus, it brought little to the table over the 2000 (in fact, even after its release the A2500 with A2630 accelerator and A2091 controller were still more sought after until they were cancelled). ECS is the downfall of this machine. Its only saving grace was the A3000T. The 3000 is the poster child for the Amigas chipset stagnation. OCS/ECS were allowed to linger way too long while PCs were slowly but constantly moving toward mCGA and VGA.

My disagreements with the other models I've seen listed.

A1000 - Yea, it came with little RAM (though 256k was big in a time of 64-128k home computers) and had to be booted from floppy (Kickstart), but the advancements it brought to the table more than makeup those shortcomings. When it came out it could easily have been singing "Can't Touch This" whenever placed next to a Mac or IBM-PC of the day, most of which also had to be booted from diskettes.

A500+ I have no problem with a machine coming out the door with 2.0. I think Commodore and developers coddled 1.3 users too long which caused the OS to stagnate as much as the chipset. 1.3 users were the tail wagging the dog. For every game title they cried would not work under 2.0 there were plenty that would. They would then also cry whenever something released for 2.0+ (especially if a magazine cover disk had 2.0+ programs on it) because they still only had 1.3.

A1200 - For its size, you cant beat its expandability. PCMCIA for network cards (unfortunately only realized now with such cards being so inexpensive), full CPU slot which can take the machine up to an 060 or PPC with graphics card and HD controller options and a built-in IDE HD controller. Look at how people are using the clockport for further expansion possibilities. All in a machine you can stuff in a bag to take to Users Group meetings. I think its features fit the bill nicely for its intended market.

I cant find much fault with the A2000 or 4000. The 4000 is what the 3000 should have been so its only faults are in being delayed so long and releasing with the buggy 3.0 CPU card.
When a wrong remains a wrong a right remains a right
Darkness is darkest just before the light so keep strong
The road is rough, the road is tough, the road is long
On it alone or with a group either way
as long as one stays on it...
There will b...