Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from an original owner  (Read 1377 times)

Description:

Offline 300BaudTopic starter

• Show only replies by 300Baud
Hello from an original owner
« on: January 11, 2024, 10:11:30 PM »
I have an Amiga 1000 and an Amiga 4000 Tower.  The Amiga 1000 has 512M memory, external floppy drive and Amiga monitor.  I bought the Amiga 4000 Tower when it looked like it might be the last Amiga computer.  When I got the A4000 Tower, I stored the A1000 in the original boxes which are white with full color graphics.  I’m researching how to revive the 4000T and that’s how I found this forum.

I used the A1000 for many years.  Before the internet, I accessed Bulletin Boards using the Genie dial-up phone network.  I added a SCSI controller and hard drive.  I installed the Rejuvenator Board which replaced a daughter board with one configured to upgrade the MPU to the 68030 – it worked great (it involved aligning multiple chip socket extensions).

I had the 4000 Tower on the internet with a browser called IBrowse and a dialup connection.  I added a 2nd floppy drive, video board, and a Zip drive (100 M removable disks - the USB of its day).  At some point I tried upgrading the kickstart ROMs and it hasn’t worked since (none of the ROMs have any markings).

I have software, floppy disks, AND Amiga magazines (I saved everything I bought for the Amiga).  At some point I’ll look into selling my Amiga collection. 

Re: Hello from an original owner
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 10:13:16 PM »
I even kept the Cybervision 64 video board box (I was tempted to throw it out several times over the years),  check out the price.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 12:51:36 AM »
I have an Amiga 1000 and an Amiga 4000 Tower.  The Amiga 1000 has 512M memory, external floppy drive and Amiga monitor.  I bought the Amiga 4000 Tower when it looked like it might be the last Amiga computer.  When I got the A4000 Tower, I stored the A1000 in the original boxes which are white with full color graphics.  I’m researching how to revive the 4000T and that’s how I found this forum.

I used the A1000 for many years.  Before the internet, I accessed Bulletin Boards using the Genie dial-up phone network.  I added a SCSI controller and hard drive.  I installed the Rejuvenator Board which replaced a daughter board with one configured to upgrade the MPU to the 68030 – it worked great (it involved aligning multiple chip socket extensions).

I had the 4000 Tower on the internet with a browser called IBrowse and a dialup connection.  I added a 2nd floppy drive, video board, and a Zip drive (100 M removable disks - the USB of its day).  At some point I tried upgrading the kickstart ROMs and it hasn’t worked since (none of the ROMs have any markings).

I have software, floppy disks, AND Amiga magazines (I saved everything I bought for the Amiga).  At some point I’ll look into selling my Amiga collection.

Welcome aboard… 👍🏻

Nice setups there. Why sell up? The Amiga is still alive and thriving today. I actually prefer using an Amiga to a PC these days.
Ibrowse is still going, now on Version 3.0a which was released a couple of weeks ago!

Plenty of new hardware is being made such as USB, Network, Sound cards and Accelerator Cards etc…

Worth checking out Chris Edwards YouTube channel as well, as he is fixing up Amigas and also has a 3000T and a 4000T which he shows fixing up. He is also based in the USA!

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 04:17:16 PM »
Thanks for the Chris Edwards recommendation.  My plan is to revive my 4000T and revisit the Workbench; plan B is to look into an Amiga emulator.  My long term plan is to get my collection into the hands of people who will preserve the Amiga (via Ebay).  My heirs will probably trash or recycle my old computer stuff (I've told them about the Amiga but they aren't computer people).

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 10:57:17 PM »
Depending on where you are in the USA..
I invite you to visit the Sacramento Amiga Computer Club in Sacramento, CA (see sacc dot org)

Our next meeting is Jan 28! Feel free to visit or log on to the meeting stream.

and

Welcome back!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 11:31:05 PM »
Wow, the A1000 had such great boxes! How did they get the confusing baby birth TV adverts/sepia coloured print adverts so wrong when the box art was spot on being so colourful and engaging like the iMacs many years later?
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline tommywiz

• Show only replies by tommywiz
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 08:49:16 PM »
Nice, wish I had a working one of each! I have a 1000 but cannot get it to do anything except for the power light to come on!

Back in the day I was about ready to buy a 1000 and then news a 2000 was on the way so I waited and bought a 2000.

By the time a 4000 came along I was into PC's and felt somewhat bummed by how expensive it had been to get my 2000 to where I could really use it.

I also had complete runs of most USA based Amiga and Commodore magazines. One weekend I got the really bright idea to clean out the storage closet where these were located. I lost count of how many trips to the dumpster it took!!!! 😭
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:55:21 PM by tommywiz »