Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Indivision installation with hard drive  (Read 5610 times)

Description:

Offline KatManDEWTopic starter

• Show only replies by KatManDEW
    • http://www.katmandew.com
Re: Indivision installation with hard drive
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »
@murple: My hard drive is just laying on the Indivision now, and everything is working OK now. I must have finally gotten the Indivision seated good the last time. I do not have the RF shield installed.

As save2600 said, you can probably move the hard drive, provided you have enough cable. But I think you will still need to cut out part of the RF shield where the Indivision sits.
A1000
A1200 - Indivision. Apollo 1240.
A2000 - GVP 040-16 meg, 2 meg chip, CD-RW, Flicker Fixer, Picasso II, 8 Up, 286 Bridgecard, OS 3.9
A2000HD #2 - 8 meg RAM, Genlock, Tower case

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
from my point of view A1200 users should move foward and go for compactflash.

something like this

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=2888=10

here it is mounted with indivision. this project was booted with compactflash and then a micro-sd card OS4.

here http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=2884=10

both cards are working *cableless*.

-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
hmmm, glad i read this, and sorry to hear you're having problems. but i'm kinda unsure to plunk down the readies for an indivision or three now.

my main PPC/bvision powered machine has had no top RF shield ever since i first got the ppc/bivison combo, and no ill effects. and my A500 has had no top shield .... since i can't remember when... my other two 1200's still have their RF shields inplace but it's not a concern if they have to be removed later. i just like the idea of "completeness" :-)

what does prey on my mind is that, running a hires 31khz VGA+ alike screen just off the normal AGA chipset causes ... is it alice? to get really hot. to the point where artifacts appear on screen. this can be avoided with heat sinks in on the relevant chips, but from what i can figure, doesn't the indivision sit on that same chip to get at the display connections?

--edit--
after looking at delshay's photos, i was wrong, it connects to a different chip. my bad, sorry :-)

does using an indivision avoid the heat problem that causes graphics issues as the AGA chips themselves aren't having to work so hard?
and as previously mentioned, where does the hard disk go?
so we've got a hot chip, stuck in a socket under a circuit board, with is under a warm/hot drive.
i think i'm going to go the compact flash route for my main machine - all my others are, and will probably end up velcro'ing it to the under side of the keyboard. if i get an indivision.... IF....

also if i like it, i'll probably want to kit out every AGA machine i've got with one.. :lol: $$$$

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 07:48:38 PM »
funny i have a problem too..after about 15-20 mins a get a red screen. after this the amiga refuse to boot.

if i remove the indivision it works fine.

i changed a few SM components & the s-video output inproved.

i think i known what the problem is,will post if found.
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline DoogUK

• Show only replies by DoogUK
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »
I've had my reservations about the Indy, but after seeing several photos of one in action on a 21" widescreen my minds made up....i want one!
a1200T/040@40/64mb/10 gig/CWB
a600/3.5mb/3.25gb
a1200/blizz 040@40/128mb/4gb compact flash/CWB A4000/40

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »

darksun9210 wrote:
what does prey on my mind is that, running a hires 31khz VGA+ alike screen just off the normal AGA chipset causes ... is it alice? to get really hot. to the point where artifacts appear on screen. this can be avoided with heat sinks in on the relevant chips..

That's not accurate Mr Sun, it's actually a MB bug which can be fixed by shorting out a resistor.  I had this issue with my ID4 and it was driving me crazy (I thought it was a problem with the Indivision) until I discovered this MB bug.  Now my display is rock-solid in all modes and looks sharper than it did before I performed the mod  :-D
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 11:45:52 PM »
What MB's are affected and could you post some details on the mod? Thanks! :)

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 12:12:24 AM »

Linde wrote:
What MB's are affected and could you post some details on the mod? Thanks! :)

You can read the whole sorry story  here

:idea:
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline kolla

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »
I just made my own bracket out of card board (actually a black paper folder from work, glued together in three layers to get some stiffness to it), and mounted the disk (well, a 2GB flash disk) into that.

http://amiga.nvg.org/moro/Indivision_AGA/disk-bracket_1.jpg
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline NovaCoder

Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline murple

• Show only replies by murple
    • http://www.murple.net
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 01:19:10 AM »
I looked at the catalog listing on AmigaKit (where I bought it).

I looked at the catalog listing on Vesalia.

I looked at all the information I could find from the manufacturer.

Nowhere in ANY of those places does it even hint that you won't be able to use a hard drive with it. I'm only a little upset about that, because as much as I don't want to go CF, it's possible. I'm extremely pissed off that the manufacturer and sellers didn't bother to include one simple sentence to indicate you'll need a tower case, CF disk replacement, or external drive. Im hoping I can insulate the Indivision and lay it on top without the pressure damaging the Indivision, but I'm positively furious at this negligent marketing. Had I known I should buy a CF disk I might have, or I might have not bought the Indivision. As it is, apprently I have the choice of having a 1200 with a fancy display and no disk, or a 1200 with a proper disk and an expensive bookmark, or buying a bunch of new stuff and migrating my system over.

Clearly the manufacturer and sellers must know this issue exists, yet no web sites mention it and neither does the manual that came in the Indivision box.

The stupid thing came today, and yeah the display is nice. I'm hoping I can somehow make this all work, but... the maker and sellers of this product dropped the ball in a very very big way this time. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 01:36:56 AM »

murple wrote:
I looked at the catalog listing on AmigaKit (where I bought it).

I looked at the catalog listing on Vesalia.

I looked at all the information I could find from the manufacturer.

Nowhere in ANY of those places does it even hint that you won't be able to use a hard drive with it.

Yes you are right, they should have mentioned it and also it should come with a VGA backing plate. At the end of the day though, the Classic market is very small so you have to cut them a large amount of slack for producing such a great product.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline murple

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 01:40:36 AM »
Well, laying the drive on the Indivision works fine... if I want an ALL PINK display.

The only words I can use to think of my feelings at the maker and sellers of this product for not pointing this problem out would be entirely inappropriate for this forum. It's a good thing for them that I'm an ocean away. Ugh.

Offline murple

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 01:45:45 AM »

NovaCoder wrote:

Yes you are right, they should have mentioned it and also it should come with a VGA backing plate. At the end of the day though, the Classic market is very small so you have to cut them a large amount of slack for producing such a great product.

I don't agree, actually. These businesses have all been pretty good at pointing such things out in the past, which just makes it all the more troubling that this time, nowhere in the supply chain did somebody bother to mention something so obvious and so critical.

I now have to decide if I want to invest in a crappy CF (nice idea, but considering the only flash media you can use with those adapters are the older Compact Flash drives with a limited write-life, not to mention decreasing supply of drives 4GB and under... I'd rather use a real drive) or try and return this board and try to make due with out a decent monitor.

And no, "make an external drive case" or "put it in a tower" is not an option. I could build out my 4000 if I wanted that. The entire point of this system is to have a compact and portable Amiga with a good modern display that works with modern projection equipment so I can use it VJing at clubs. I have a gig in less than 2 weeks, and as it is I'm pretty much screwed. Thanks, Indivision.

Offline murple

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 01:52:29 AM »
Also, the damn thing doesn't fit very well. even without the drive in, the slightest pressure pops it off, unlike older flicker fixer/scan doublers I've used which fit tight on the chip and take a lot of prying to pop off.

Individual Computers in the past has always made really good things. I don't think I feel the same about this POS.

Offline tone007

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 06, 2009, 01:55:31 AM »
I bought a 4GB CF card at MicroCenter (SanDisk) and it worked just fine in my 1200 with a $3 Chinese CF-IDE adapter.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever