Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21312 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
Leo wolf up his moon is funny.

By his logic, pc's at all would have failed, since every business was buying mainframes at the time pc's became a "product"

Doing what everyone else is doing is never the path to success, its the path to mediocrity.

Steven

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
I think its a fun project for many reasons and I’m very curious to see it unfolds.
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605847
You know, people... you're pretty funny.

Out there, in the REAL world, hundreds of millions of x86 PCs is being sold every year, both cheap and expensive, yet you're trying to convince me that it is wrong to sell those and that it is a failed concept.

Instead, one should go in a adventure of a completely new platform and/or OS just for the sake of being completely different.

Good... good. Go ahead and try, put your money where your mouth is :lol:

The PC market just standardized like the auto market. All most all vehicles use combustion engines the use gasoline or diesel as fuel.

In the later days of Commdore, even the R&D guys were working on using graphics card in stead of custom graphics chips.

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605845
Right, so slapping a new bezel on some manufacturer's stock case, putting it in a pretty box, and skinning Linux with something that looks like Workbench makes it a completely different thing than an equivalent-spec PC assembled from components off NewEgg or TigerDirect.

"For my next trick, I'm going to turn this Honda into a Ferrari Testarossa using only a label printer and an airbrush!"

If they had the rights to the name e.g Acer/Asus or someone like that if I remember rightly did exactly that with their Ferrari laptops.

My beef isn't that they will use Amiga name, but that they will abuse the Amiga name because it isn't a defendable trademark like Ferrari, and its open season on the Amiga far more than AI had the balls to do.

Lets face it for anyone to ever see the Amiga truely a computing brand we hope that one of major's can pick up the name for a song, when the IRS finally catch up with the con artists.
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;605851
Hey! Nothing wrong with either Karmann Ghia or VW innards! But that is drifting way ot...:lol:
No, not at all, but if you were trying to claim that having a sports-car shell on compact-sedan guts made it a completely different thing...uh, right, back on topic...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2011, 08:08:38 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605850
You are aware that there are multiple groups doing exactly that, right? And every last one of them has shown as much or more progress as C-USA.

What progress? Show me progress! Show me a AOS4, MOS or AROS machine that can replace my current Win or Linux machine for work and fun or even simple web browsing?

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »
You know, people... you're pretty funny.

Out there, in the REAL world, hundreds of millions of x86 PCs is being sold every year, both cheap and expensive, yet you're trying to convince me that it is wrong to sell those and that it is a failed concept.

nope it's not wrong to sell an off the shelf PC but it's sad to get the AI shysters to make a cent off each one sold with their sticker on it !

Instead, one should go in a adventure of a completely new platform and/or OS just for the sake of being completely different.

AmigaOS, AROS, and MOS are already here....and so are various Linux distro's

Good... good. Go ahead and try, put your money where your mouth is :lol:

you know real companies that care about the community already have ...oh wait..ya I just remembered that AI and CUSA don't give a rats ass about that...right Leo:angry:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:14:27 PM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605859
AmigaOS, AROS, and MOS are already here....and so are various Linux distro's

None of the Amiga related OSes is really worth any serious consideration.

If I had the choice and pretty much unlimited funds, I'd go with Syllable OS.

you know real companies that care about the community already have ...oh wait..ya I just remembered that AI and CUSA don't give a rats ass about that...right Leo:angry:

I'm not Leo... As far as I'm concerned, I'm perfectly happy with any of the mods checking mine and Leo's IP to compare if you're so interested.

Offline Tuxon86

• Show only replies by Tuxon86
    • http://www.amiga-alive.com
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605858
What progress? Show me progress! Show me a AOS4, MOS or AROS machine that can replace my current Win or Linux machine for work and fun or even simple web browsing?

Why should they replace your win or linux machine?

I sure don't need another device to surf the web, I have enough already, hell I can even buy a fridge with internet connectivity.

What I want is the next step in computer evolution, just like the Amiga was in 1985.
Atari 800XL & 130XE, C64, A1000, A500, A2000

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605858
Show me a C-USA "Amiga" that isn't just a picture of a case without even a pasteboard photo of a potential motherboard in it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605861
What I want is the next step in computer evolution, just like the Amiga was in 1985.

I don't think we'll see anything similar that soon. It was far easier, in concept if not in execution, to offer something like Amiga 1000 in 1985 then it is now, in any configuration. Today it's more small steps, but many of them and fast.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605861
Why should they replace your win or linux machine?

I sure don't need another device to surf the web, I have enough already, hell I can even buy a fridge with internet connectivity.

they should be on sale in about 3-4 months. Then I'll show you my C64x gladly :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
3-4 months? Can we quote you on that Leo? They were supposed to be out by christmas but were not...

And what about the 3 cancelled commodore AIO computers? What happened did you run out of stickers?
All cancelled with no explanation, now they announce new computers... AGAIN!

Leo CTO wolf up his ass IS putting his money where his mouth is.

Printing commodore stickers at home on your printer can get expensive!

Can you imagine adding printing AMIGA stickers to that already ridiculous expense? Come on guys, he's not made of loot.

Wait... 30 million advertising budget? Sheesh I guess they decided to splurge on ads since their r+d budget consisted of buying a decal maker.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:21:17 PM by haywirepc »

Offline Tuxon86

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605863
I don't think we'll see anything similar that soon. It was far easier, in concept if not in execution, to offer something like Amiga 1000 in 1985 then it is now, in any configuration. Today it's more small steps, but many of them and fast.

And yet your not even walking. You are barely crawling or being dragged by the big boys like Dell and Asus...

And contrary to your beliefs it was even harder to do in 1985 because there was more competition. Commodore had to fight Apple, Atari, IBM, HP etc etc, each one trying to impose their architecture over the other on a limited marketplace (the personal computer market was smaller at that time).

For someone in the know you should learn a bit more about the history of the personal computer before making such remark.

Offline Tuxon86

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605864
they should be on sale in about 3-4 months. Then I'll show you my C64x gladly :)

Lol, another clone running linux, yiipeeeedoooo! and all this in a carpal tunnel syndrome inducing keyboard case...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #134 from previous page: January 11, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605866
And yet your not even walking. You are barely crawling or being dragged by the big boys like Dell and Asus...

And contrary to your beliefs it was even harder to do in 1985 because there was more competition. Commodore had to fight Apple, Atari, IBM, HP etc etc, each one trying to impose their architecture over the other on a limited marketplace (the personal computer market was smaller at that time).

For someone in the know you should learn a bit more about the history of the personal computer before making such remark.

This is obvious to many of us but perhaps Leo (or whoever he is) is a bit too young to remember those times
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: