Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21127 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 11, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605858
What progress? Show me progress! Show me a AOS4, MOS or AROS machine that can replace my current Win or Linux machine for work and fun or even simple web browsing?
Show me a C-USA "Amiga" that isn't just a picture of a case without even a pasteboard photo of a potential motherboard in it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605866
For someone in the know
Hee! Good one.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;605893
I think its the desire for better "genetic  diversity" so to speak.  Amiga was the "whole tamale", from hardware to  software to end user.  These CUSA machines are just the wrapper.
Yes. Look, I like x86 + Windows just fine for daily use, but I  cannot fathom why everybody regards x86 PC hardware as some sort of  "gold standard" that every OS project must be based around. Yes, it's  cheap and omnipresent - it's also boring as hell and bletcherous at  anything below the API level. I'd be more intrigued by a freakin'  Z80 project than by another x86 PC OS.

Quote from: nicholas;605896
One could say CUSA are inbred. ;)
One could, but sadly it's true of the computer industry in general these days. There used to be dozens of home-computing platforms based on half a dozen different CPU architectures - now it's down to "x86 PC" or "x86 PC with a less awful BIOS and an Apple logo for 1.5x the money."

Quote from: klx300r;605906
really a tablet??? so what sticker errr innovation  will CUSA be bringing to the tablet market with their 30 million  investment money
Oh, just you wait! They'll come up with a genius new design that totally won't be a cheap Atom board plus a touchscreen kit from NewEgg, and a whole brand new re-skinning of a standard Linux distro!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:38:38 PM by commodorejohn »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 03:32:23 AM »
Quote from: smerf;606009
Face it look at todays computers, heck even a five year old MAC is outdoing the Amiga, and we have WAYNE to verify that. You guys are sounding just like the IBM fan boys when the Amiga first came out:
Well, as I said earlier in the thread, I don't have a problem with people who want to run Amiga-like OSes on Intel hardware. Certainly your typical x86 desktop these days offers a whole lot more oomph than any actual 68k Amiga hardware, or even the various PowerPC-based machines the MorphOS/OS4 users swear by. What I have a problem with is this company proposing to take standard PC hardware, slap it in an Amiga-reminiscent case from another manufacturer, load it up with a public-domain operating system that's been re-skinned to look like Workbench, and sell it with the brand of a classic computer with which it has nearly nothing in common in hardware, in software, or in spirit, and then expect people to go "ALL HAIL THE NEW AMIGA! IT IS RISEN INDEED!" I don't claim to be the ultimate arbiter of what "Amiga" is, but I'm pretty certain it's not "generic hardware + slightly customized packaging + graphics-hacked free OS + MAGICAL AMIGA BRAND."

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »
I've been using Firefox 1.5 ever since they came out with 2 and things started getting large and slow. Aside from a few poorly-designed sites, I've never had any trouble with it.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 02:58:26 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;606119
AROS is outdated as is every other "modern" Amiga OS derivative. WBX will be based on Linux but it will also offer all the advantages of a modern OS.
Uh, Linux is a "modern OS." Which brings me back to a question from earlier: what is "Workbench 5" going to offer that other Linux distros don't, aside from an "uh, it looks like Workbench!" desktop environment?

(Also, Java's syntax is indeed quite nice - it's the library that's a bitch. Well, that and the fact that the syntax has no support for "using namespace" or any preprocessor mechanism with which that functionality could be replicated, so that you have to refer to every library function by its full path every time you use it.)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;606138
legal ROMs and seemless amiga and commodore emulation at install.
Okay, so we'd be paying in order to save ourselves five minutes of minor inconvenience and maybe even a whole hour of agonizing over the morality of using an abandonware BIOS?

It will also feature various software, preinstalled and ready to use. By various I mean almost everything will be covered so that it gets as close as being a substitute for Windows as possible...  It will be aimed at ordinary users who had no prior experience with Linux, that is it should be end-user friendly...
Okay, what exactly would bring it closer to Windows that other user-friendly distros don't have? An open-source clone of Microsoft Pinball?

If everything goes OK, they plan to move on from being "just" a custom linux distro to being a custom OS itself. Maybe even switching to BSD. But that is a long way to go... small steps first.
Okay, "switching to BSD" is a pretty strange definition of "custom OS."