Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21138 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605774
I don't really care whether they have the legal rights to the name or not - they're still trying to sell a standard x86 PC as somehow being a "new Amiga." If that's the case, the genericlone Pentium 4 workstation I'm typing on is as much an Amiga as what they're selling, and I didn't have to sit around looking at terrible POV-ray renders and wondering how much the distributor was going to charge me for it.

That's tue for the most part. The Amigas, Ataris, Commodores, Aplles... of the 80s are long gone and will never return.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605777
Well, you go ahead and give up hope, and I'll just keep cautiously holding out for NatAmi.

natami!? Nothing to get excited about... at least for me. A slightly faster 68K, again completely unsuited for modern home computing... And for a lot of money, if it is ever finished and released.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Quote from: Fats;605787
Strange thing is that AROS is alive and kicking and AnubisOS is dead; or at least in a very deep coma.

greets,
Staf.

AROS may be alive... but is it really kicking? Depends what you describe as kicking. To me it never made sense to force OS 3.1 API today. They say it provides them with an unified goal, but I'm guessing that also mean AROS might be headed for trouble once the complete OS 3.1 API is achieved. What then?

No, I'll check out AROS from time to time but I see no big future for it.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »
Quote from: Nlandas;605788
You'll love the statements about how they plan to fund AROS financially and be compatible with the OS from the beginning then. ;^)

Thankfully, AROS has been dropped. There may be some future involvement, but it will not feature as an official OS.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 06:02:22 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;605793
well have you heard of a company called Hyperion and A-eon, they are trying exactly that.  

Have heard of them.

Does it matter that they might not reach mass market, they might not be successful when you compare them to apple, or pc, or even linux markets. But they are trying their best to deliver what a next generation Amiga should be (to me any way).  

See the problem here... the NEXT GENERATION Amiga. To me, a PPC Amiga running an OS as outdated as OS4 can never be next gen. It has already been tried and it failed for the most part. So it is not really a next generation thing. It's the same generation all over again, just more expensive this time. Time to try something different.
That said, I may actually be inclined to buy a used X1000 one day if it ever gets launched. I love custom hardware but I'd never give so much money for something that useless. Only used and if it gets cheaper by then...

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 06:17:54 PM »
Quote from: foleyjo;605797
If it brings the Commodore and Amiga brands back to the shops it can't be too bad.

Exactly...

People here are expecting things that simply cannot be produced. I can live with an Atom powered C64x. I can also live with a community enjoying themselves and writing fun software for it. We'll do retro games, we'll do modern games, various software. And we'll say we're writing games for the new Commodore C64x and people will think we're crazy... So what? As long as it is fun:drink:;)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;605801
I think its funny someone calls him fake, and he ignores that and keeps right on defending CUSA. thats funny.

Still a shill, maybe not bigbenaussie, but still a shill.

Big ben assie is probably busy printing stickers for the new amigas.

Or busy stealing graphics from the internet to use on their amiga theme ubuntu respin.

Steven

Steven, if I found your posts to contain any meaningful or useful conversation/information, I'd answer it.

Since trolling is your way of "discussion", I will refrain from answering your posts as long as you're blatantly accusing me of something that I am not and/or trolling aimlessly.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605809
If CUSA really wants to innovate then they should go out of the beaten path of PC clone and build something totally from scratch. How about a Cell based based system with a real parallel OS for starter. The original Amiga was the first home computer with preemptive multitasking why not innovate on that front?

The world doesn't need another PC platform running an emulation layer on top of it, even if that layer is built in the OS itself.

There isn't really a place for another PC but there is a place for a new architecture, one that could revolutionize the world of personal computing.

Are you people listening to what you're saying/writing? A platform from a scratch? Sure... chip in a few billion $, I'll do it, no problem :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 07:09:08 PM »
Quote from: foleyjo;605819
Maybe if C= and Amiga become popular again they can think about making a computer from scratch.

If CUSA would to become wildly popular, and I mean WILDLY, the best thing one could expect is a slightly custom x86 motherboard and/or an ARM license to develop their own cores. But this is pure science fiction, really. Beyond Sci-Fi, really... :)

I don't bother too much with that stuff. I just want to have fun :). And if you want a custom platform, FPGAs are readily available, make your own. :afro:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605826
OS4.1 has been evolving very nicely ever since that damn court case with the shysters at AI has been resolved.

What AOS4 or any other amiga-related OS needs is an revolution, not evolution. As long as it is a evolution, it will continue to be an obscure hobby OS.

-
THREE new hardware platforms have evolved solely for running AmigaOS4.x and beyond so how can that be a failure....if it werent for the success of the Sam440 then the new Sam460ex would not exist.

And I must say I'm impressed by that, solely beacuse the market is rather small. We'll see how the X1000 will go when it comes.

- again I must stress that Commodore already tried making off the shelf pc's with their logo on them and guess what...they failed! it was a last ditch effort to try to make some money for the company and they found out the hard way that their loyal customers wanted nothing to do with that farce.

different times today.

now saying that if CUSA actually make this off the shelf PC much cheaper than the next off the shelf PC then maybe people will buy it BUT i got a guy feeling that AI will want a few shyster pennies for that Amiga sticker on the case so I doubt that will happen

If you think C=USA will be making cheap x86 hardware, then you're mistaken. Actually, there may be few very cheap AIO Commodore models, but the majority of their product line will be for those with slightly deeper pockets. Not obscenely expensive, I think. Afterall, I think if they pull this off together with launching their Linux distro they can demand a slightly higher price in all fairness. I might be mistaken... time will show.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 07:28:45 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605834
double face palm !!!....no just put stickers on existing products and then get a 10 year old to modify an existing Linux distro for you:furious:

Let's see

custom cases
custom packaging(thread over at C-A.org)
custom Linux distro(with a possibility of becoming a custom OS in the future)
possible app market

sure seems like a lot of sticker slapping, doesn't it?

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605837
but if it's more expensive then who's gonna buy it other than Commie & Miggy fanboys...you do realize those guys are already in the modern scene and posting on the very forums you're on right:confused:

For the millionth time... They are not after the current AOS4/MOS/AROS users. They are after the general Win/Linux/MAC/ex-Amiga users.

if you have a look at C64x comments on various (independent)sites, you'll see that much of the public is very in favour of it. I think they will sell plenty of those. AMIGAs will be aimed at gamers. That's also a big market. AMIGAs will be a harder sell then C64x or cheap Commodore AIOs, but it's possible.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605839
& that's my point..to attract 'the others' then they must make it cheaper because only die hard fans will spend more for what you're offering....wait....ahh so now it makes sense...AI finally tries to do something but of course it's not for the community! and again sticks it to the community..thanks for clearing that up for us !

so with the 30 million budget you guys have when are the t-shirts coming

there'a place on the x86 market for both cheap no branded and more expensive branded merchandise. Nobody is saying that it is going to be easy for them, but they have 2 very strong brands and some interesting products. We'll see...

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 07:58:13 PM »
You know, people... you're pretty funny.

Out there, in the REAL world, hundreds of millions of x86 PCs is being sold every year, both cheap and expensive, yet you're trying to convince me that it is wrong to sell those and that it is a failed concept.

Instead, one should go in a adventure of a completely new platform and/or OS just for the sake of being completely different.

Good... good. Go ahead and try, put your money where your mouth is :lol:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 08:08:38 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605850
You are aware that there are multiple groups doing exactly that, right? And every last one of them has shown as much or more progress as C-USA.

What progress? Show me progress! Show me a AOS4, MOS or AROS machine that can replace my current Win or Linux machine for work and fun or even simple web browsing?

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 11, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605859
AmigaOS, AROS, and MOS are already here....and so are various Linux distro's

None of the Amiga related OSes is really worth any serious consideration.

If I had the choice and pretty much unlimited funds, I'd go with Syllable OS.

you know real companies that care about the community already have ...oh wait..ya I just remembered that AI and CUSA don't give a rats ass about that...right Leo:angry:

I'm not Leo... As far as I'm concerned, I'm perfectly happy with any of the mods checking mine and Leo's IP to compare if you're so interested.