Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21110 times)

Description:

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
Nobody will ever know what would had happened if Commodore had survived. Your starting to lose credibility by saying stuff like this.

Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605726

Amiga OS architecture is a dead end. Face it. Had Commodore survived, there would be none of the original Amiga OS architecture today. End of story. C=USA could have just used Windows with their computers. The easy way. Instead, they're going with all the trouble of creating something custom, if only slightly, at the beggining. And no... it's not being sold as AmigaOS. The naming is not yet set in stone.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »
Quote from: dammy;605727
If they substituted a flaky PPC mobo for the generic x86, would that make things better?  Oh, triple the price as well.

nah c/mon now do you know how much work and effort actually trying to design, and engineer a 'real' new product would cost !...now why would AI and CUSA bother with that nonsense of trying to do some real design and engineering when they can slap a sticker on existing stuff that other people already made:roflmao:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »
Quote from: spihunter;605730
Nobody will ever know what would had happened if Commodore had survived. Your starting to lose credibility by saying stuff like this.

I know they'd be well past OS 3.1 by now :roflmao:
In fact, by the end of the 90s a completely new software architecture was needed to stay competitive. I can see Classic OS being sufficient(with some upgrades) for maybe a few years past the historic bankruptcy, but after that it's either new OS architecture or hasta la vista baby(again).

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605731
nah c/mon now do you know how much work and effort actually trying to design, and engineer a 'real' new product would cost !...now why would AI and CUSA bother with that nonsense of trying to do some real design and engineering when they can slap a sticker on existing stuff that other people already made:roflmao:

They do not have the resources for that. No one (for now)has.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
Quote from: spihunter;605730

I doubt they would be using amigaos at all.

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/haynie3drisc.html
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »

Oh come on, Eyetech had to take at least a week on how to rebadget the Teron mobo, it can't be that big of a deal.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »

Teron comes to mind here ;)
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605726
Commodore sold x86 computers... and it would be doing x86 if it survived until today, including Amiga. Get over it.
That may indeed have been the case - regardless, it doesn't change the fact that this is not the product of any of the people who made Commodore's computers the classics they were. And while they did sell x86 PCs, they weren't trying to cash in on the prior success of an entirely different system in so doing - they were just selling x86 PCs because that's what people were buying.

Amiga OS architecture is a dead end. Face it. Had Commodore survived, there would be none of the original Amiga OS architecture today. End of story.
How do you figure? The Amiga software architecture is stable and expandable enough to where it's perfectly conceivable that they could have stuck with it. Heck, the Amiga had true multitasking more than a decade before Windows or MacOS did.

And no... it's not being sold as AmigaOS. The naming is not yet set in stone.
Well, they're certainly calling it "Workbench 5" at present, and I'll treat that as their claim until they change it.

Coldfire? Are you serious? Sure, ARM I can see being competitive on the desktop market in a few years maybe. The rest is a no-go for any home computer use other then a hobby.
I'm not especially serious about Coldfire or SuperH, but ARM and PPC at least are viable alternatives. My point is that no, you don't have to use x86 - there are other options than sticking a generic Atom board in a slightly customized case and calling it an Amiga.

Quote from: dammy;605727
If they substituted a flaky PPC mobo for the generic  x86, would that make things better?  Oh, triple the price as  well.
Oh, I'm nobody's A-Eon defender. The X1000 is even more inexcusable than this, but this ain't a thread about the X1000.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline djnick

• Show only replies by djnick
    • http://www.djnick.rs
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2011, 04:12:31 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;605578
http://www.karmadigital.com/tf5_htpc_home_theatre_pc_case.html

+

http://www.ubuntu.com

=

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Amiga.aspx

Ouch my Lord! It is sooo lame! :( We all can produce this new Commodore product at home... :(

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605743
How do you figure? The Amiga software architecture is stable and expandable enough to where it's perfectly conceivable that they could have stuck with it. Heck, the Amiga had true multitasking more than a decade before Windows or MacOS did.

In 1985, Classic OS was a marvel. In 2010, it's a laugh. By today standards and heck, even late 90s, a complete rewrite of the AmigaOS was/is far more likely to have happend then Commodore getting stuck with Classic OS.

I'm not especially serious about Coldfire or SuperH, but ARM and PPC at least are viable alternatives.

ARM may be an alternative in a few years(for desktops)... PPC is not now and not in the foreseeable future.

My point is that no, you don't have to use x86

Yes, you do. If you want to sell, you need to use x86.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2011, 04:30:21 PM »
Quote from: djnick;605744
Ouch my Lord! It is sooo lame! :( We all can produce this new Commodore product at home... :(

Honestly, I'd prefer to see nothing done to further the Amiga legacy than what C-USA is doing, lol.  I don't find their putting stickers on a PC case with a PC mobo, reskinning an open source OS with an "Amiga" theme and renaming it "OS 5", then slapping an emulator on said box and selling at what will be likely an elevated price to be promoting the platform at all.  Just like I didn't when they put out their all in ones that were asian junk that you could buy at a fraction of the price of what they were charging with the C=/Amiga decals on the same darned machines.

The entire C-USA thing leaves a hideous taste in my mouth and the one "representative" of C-USA that's chimed in on A.org hasn't done anything to make people think that the company is anything other than moneygrubbing scam.  Then again, I felt the same about the boingball stickered PC $5 keyboards being passed off as "Official Amiga" gear.  Thankfully in a free market, I don't have to buy such items if I don't wish to.

I don't see much innovation in slapping PC hardware in a PC case, reskinning an OS, adding an emulator and suddenly it's an "Amiga".  It's no more an Amiga than the PC I got in front of me that runs UAE.  Ain't a damned thing about C-USA that doesn't come off as extremely shady in my books, lol.

Then again, while I have no use for vintage Amiga hardware atm, I still do see the Amiga name as sort of sacred ground, so I may be overly sensitive about what can be viewed by some like myself as blatant attempts on cashing in on a legacy.  No one is twisting my arm to purchase the stuff, so in the end, best of luck to C-USA if they actually bring said products to market in a fashion that doesn't make a mockery of the Amiga tradition.

Offline hardwired

• Show only replies by hardwired
    • http://aros-wandering.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
No matter how hard debates go on this thread - the sole truth has been posted by Cammy...

That's it - Either accept it or reject it...

I certainly would not buy that, but that's me!... And 90% of true/sad/nostalgic/misaligned/whatever Amiga users...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605748
In 1985, Classic OS was a marvel. In 2010, it's a laugh. By today standards and heck, even late 90s, a complete rewrite of the AmigaOS was/is far more likely to have happend then Commodore getting stuck with Classic OS.
I didn't mean using it as-is in the form of Kickstart 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 :/ Yes, you need to upgrade an operating system as the industry evolves, but that doesn't mean you have to totally throw away something that's fundamentally solid. Even "complete rewrite" doesn't necessarily mean ditching the underlying architecture.

Yes, you do. If you want to sell, you need to use x86.
No, you don't. ARM has already been used in tons of mobile computing devices (most of which sell just fine) and is beginning to work its way into the laptop market. All of the current-gen game consoles are based on the POWER architecture in one form or another. The only place the x86 is ubiquitous is in the desktop PC market, and that's only because it provides compatibility with Windows application binaries from previous generations. Linux is a fundamentally source-based operating system anyway - there's no reason this project has to use x86, other than that Atom boards are cheap and easy to throw into a prefab case before branding it and selling it to someone claiming it's an Amiga.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605760
I didn't mean using it as-is in the form of Kickstart 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 :/ Yes, you need to upgrade an operating system as the industry evolves, but that doesn't mean you have to totally throw away something that's fundamentally solid. Even "complete rewrite" doesn't necessarily mean ditching the underlying architecture.

It really isn't as solid as many amiga users make it look like. It was very solid in 1985. By the start of the 90s, it was still very competitive. But by the second half of the 90s, some fundamental changes would have to been made to keep it competitive. Either that or face getting obscure, just like Apple's classic OS did by the end of it's tenure.

No, you don't. ARM has already been used in tons of mobile computing devices (most of which sell just fine) and is beginning to work its way into the laptop market.
Exactly... mobile devices. Tablets and smartphones. Which is something that C=USA doesn't do for now. Once they do, then we can talk.

All of the current-gen game consoles are based on the POWER architecture in one form or another.
Their processors are not really suited for desktop use. And they are also getting long in the tooth by now. Not to mention that it would be impossible to get any of those CPUs in the free market.

The only place the x86 is ubiquitous is in the desktop PC market, and that's only because it provides compatibility with Windows application binaries from previous generations.

Partly yes... but today there is no better hardware then x86 and that's it. It's plenty fast and plenty cheap.

Linux is a fundamentally source-based operating system anyway - there's no reason this project has to use x86
Sure you have other reasons... it's fast, it's cheap and has a clear future upgrade path, not to mention complete market dominance.

other than that Atom boards are cheap and easy to throw into a prefab case before branding it and selling it to someone claiming it's an Amiga.
Amigas will not run Atoms. They will only run high-end Intel x86 stuff with high-end nVidia GPUs, possibly even with water cooling as standard in some models. Also expect 3D gaming nVidia support, Video Toaster editions(RealTek is one of their partners), possible Tesla GPU home supercomputers and so on... :).

All in all, I look forward to it. I wanna have fun... I also plan to contribute some software. They may be even an Amiga app market by CUSA.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
+1

Quote from: hardwired;605759
No matter how hard debates go on this thread - the sole truth has been posted by Cammy...

That's it - Either accept it or reject it...

I certainly would not buy that, but that's me!... And 90% of true/sad/nostalgic/misaligned/whatever Amiga users...

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 11, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605760
The only place the x86 is ubiquitous is in the desktop PC market, and that's only because it provides compatibility with Windows application binaries from previous generations. Linux is a fundamentally source-based operating system anyway - there's no reason this project has to use x86, other than that Atom boards are cheap and easy to throw into a prefab case before branding it and selling it to someone claiming it's an Amiga.

There is no claiming, C=USA has the license from Amiga Inc for the name, "Amiga."  After Eyetech dragged the name through the cesspools, there is very little damage C= USA could ever do to it. If anything, they are using well known models that won't have significant hardware bugs which is a perk the Amiga community is not use to.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.