Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You can tell when a person has a bias...  (Read 2015 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show all replies
You can tell when a person has a bias...
« on: March 31, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »
a
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:23:38 PM by iamaboringperson »

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: You can tell when a person has a bias...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 03:59:05 AM »
Let's dig up an old thread! :-)

Quixote wrote:
;-) For "argumentum intimidatum," I would have said "ad hominum abusive," but I get the point.  Many trolls mistake humor for valid arguments, and then further mistake personal abuse for humor.

I've seen online photos of stacks of PS3's in the shops, along with the captions that they just aren't selling.  Unmentioned are the competing products stacked alongside, or the fact that the product is stacked in the store's enterance, in the aisles, etcetera, completely blocking traffic.  What's being shown there is a shipment unloaded from the truck, prior to being counted, signed for, then stocked.  But, the fellow who has his head full of rumors doesn't see it that way.  He just sees confirmation of the latest gossip, snaps it with his cell phone camera, and uploads it to his favorite video game message board, or wherever, thus perpetuating the rumor.

That's exactly the point. When there is a difference between rumor and statistics, many seem to favor the rumor.

If you want to sow the seed of doubt - so to speak - you may only need to speak negatively of something, and people take it as fact. Actually they take it like religious 'dogma.'

I'm not sure about Wii boxes, but if you've seen the PlayStation 3 (Also known in Europe as the 'evil box of electronics', AKA 'The Evil thing') boxes in stores (yes, the very same type you see in those images) you may notice a small white label on the top which reads something along the line of: "For Display Purposes Only". Yeah, real evidence. Pictures of empty boxes beat market research anyday.

The XBOX 360 was released much earlier, yet the PS3 has sold a third of the units. Taking the difference in release times into account, the PS3 is outselling the XBOX 360, however that's not want many people would want you to hear, or know, apparently.

Off the point a bit, but the Wii is a good machine, but it's barely better than a PS2 with fancy controllers.

I wonder they (Sony) would do better if their logo was solid red with a meaning along the lines of 'power' and with a rissen fist. ;-)

The DS is selling increadably well for a portable at the moment. Well, selling approximately 2.35 times as well as the PSP according to my references and calculations.