Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You can tell when a person has a bias...  (Read 2010 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
You can tell when a person has a bias...
« on: March 31, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »
a
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:23:38 PM by iamaboringperson »

Offline Matt_H

Re: You can tell when a person has a bias...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 06:20:43 AM »
UK:R has been providing satiric commentary on the games industry for more than a decade. You're completely missing the point.

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 11:24:07 AM »
;-) For "argumentum intimidatum," I would have said "ad hominum abusive," but I get the point.  Many trolls mistake humor for valid arguments, and then further mistake personal abuse for humor.

I've seen online photos of stacks of PS3's in the shops, along with the captions that they just aren't selling.  Unmentioned are the competing products stacked alongside, or the fact that the product is stacked in the store's enterance, in the aisles, etcetera, completely blocking traffic.  What's being shown there is a shipment unloaded from the truck, prior to being counted, signed for, then stocked.  But, the fellow who has his head full of rumors doesn't see it that way.  He just sees confirmation of the latest gossip, snaps it with his cell phone camera, and uploads it to his favorite video game message board, or wherever, thus perpetuating the rumor.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 11:44:37 AM »
@iamboringperson

BSF - Blind Sony Follower :-)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
Burn the Sony fanboy!

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:18:58 PM »
Yeah, the PS3 outsold the 360 in its second and third weeks - but look at the Wii's results.  6 million in 3 months compared to just over 2 million in 3 months.  PS3 sales are extremely lacklustre given the success of the PS2.  The Wii outsold the 360 and PS3 put together in February (at least I think it was the Wii, might have been the DS).  
I think the reason people are waiting for Sony's downfall is not because Sony is a tall poppy, but because they're arrogant.  "The Next Generation doesn't start until we say it starts", "Nintendo doesn't know how to expand on its core gamer audience", "The PSP will take Nintendo's market", "Rumble is last generation, we don't need it" etc.  Instead of keeping their mouths shut (like Nintendo, and to a much lesser extent, MS's 360 department), they insist on talking trash at every opportunity, and half the time it backfires on them.
They insist on treating the consumer like they're idiots as well - fake movie reviews, fake blogs, fake graffiti art, passing pre-rendered graphics off as real time, followed by apology after apology.  

I love Sony cameras and audio equipment, but they are not the company they were in the 80's/90's.  They were King of the hill, and unfortunately they still think they are and treat the consumer with contempt.  This is why people are hoping the PS3 will fail - not to see Sony get cut down, but so they will hopefully gain some humility and respect for consumers instead of forcing their ideas onto us.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 03:22:48 PM »

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 05:51:22 PM »
i think they both cost way too much
my next gaming rig will probably be a wii
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 12:11:30 AM »
@Iamaboringperson
You can tell when a person has a bias..
I think you get my drift
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 02:11:00 AM »
I am openly gay, and I still am really offended that this thread wasn't deleted long ago and it's still being referenced..

People seem to thing being interested in the same sex is a choice, like I had a choice about it..

Anyway, let's pray for tolerance and understanding and people treating others the way they want to be treated themselved. I only say this because I know of someone who was killed in my community last week because someone thought they "might be"..

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline Minuous

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 07:54:11 AM »
Of course you have a choice, don't try to excuse it by saying you were forced into it.

Re. Sony, well, it's no wonder they are hated after all that rootkit crap they have tried to pull in the past: I suspect people don't like paying to be infected with spyware. And they don't like being treated like criminals for wanting to run homebrews on their PSPs either. So Sony deserve all the flames they get. Not that Microfilth is any better, nor Nintendo for that matter, I certainly won't be buying any of the crap that these three companies put out, they are the lowest of the low.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 01:29:56 PM »
Of course you have a choice, don't try to excuse it by saying you were forced into it.

Excuse what, exactly? And what does coercion have to do with sexual preference? Nobody forced you to be osexual either.
int p; // A

Offline Marco

• Show only replies by Marco
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »
To be fair the whole 'I was born that way' thing is not proven scientific fact. I think that's what Minuous was saying, just not as politely as some would have put it. Many people of all kinds of orientation are actually offended by the idea that their sexuality isn't their own choice; some people genuinely are born L/G or T and some are born straight, but there's a lot in the middle who are either bi or do consciously choose one option over another.

Edit: it seems Minuous saying 'don't try to excuse it' meant he finds homosexuality as something 'wrong' and that a gay person has to justify themselves, which is of course a complete load.

Though this isn't really the place to discuss this. Back on topic, Sony is getting a disproportionate amount of flak IMO, the PS3 is a really nice piece of kit and if you want to have the equivalent level of functionality in a 360 (wireless, hdd, HDDVD) then the price rockets up to more than that of a PS3, plus you then have all the extra crap strewn over your floor (including a separate powersupply that weighed a ton from what I recall) whereas the PS3 is just one über-slick piece of kit taking up very little real-estate. HDMI looks very nice too.

The Wii is just a gimick to me - of those 5 or 6 million owners, how many of them do you think have any interest in it beyond Wii-sports or whatever the next wario puzzle game is called? How many of them do you think will be interested in proper games, and shell out for them on a regular basis, A lot of Wii buyers are this 'new market' - old people, mums and dads, aunties and uncles that Nintend were aiming at, but they're not gonna be paying £40 a pop every few weeks for the latest blockbuster. Plus I play games to relax, if I want physical excercise I'll go for a run thank you very much.
[color=6666FF]Iu he nesciti, u dia cun l\\\'urbu azurru, di parinti barbari, \\\'ntre u bunu i virtuusu Cimmiriu[/color][/b]
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Offline alenppc

• Show only replies by alenppc
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 12:42:01 AM »
Firstly why is this thread here? It should be in the Coffee House as it has hardly anything to do with Amiga.

Secondly, yes Sony made a mistake with the rootkit, but I think they learned their lesson. I don't see Microsoft changing their business practices any time soon after decades of crap they've done - and got away with.

I was forced to buy Windows XP when I bought my laptop. I didn't want it but I didn't have any choice either. For me it is the same as stealing money from me. My laptop runs Ubuntu linux now, and the Windows CD they forced me to buy is sitting unopened in the box.

Yes, the media has been writing a lot of crap about the PS3 and I would not be surprised if it was all fuelled by brown envelopes handed in to them by the M$ itself.

I bought my PS3 about a month ago and it was not easy to find one despite all the supposed overstock the media was writing about. I had to walk around the city electronics stores for about three weeks before I managed to find a remote wal-mart that actually had one in stock. As if that wasn't enough, wal-mart was selling it at $38 above the MSRP. Clearly they were doing well enough.

As for the system itself, I feel exactly like I felt when I bought my first Amiga 1200. This thing is great, it's like having a home computer once again.

Why don't you try installing linux on the Xbox 360... ah that's right. Dear ol' M$ won't allow it... ;)

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 03:59:05 AM »
Let's dig up an old thread! :-)

Quixote wrote:
;-) For "argumentum intimidatum," I would have said "ad hominum abusive," but I get the point.  Many trolls mistake humor for valid arguments, and then further mistake personal abuse for humor.

I've seen online photos of stacks of PS3's in the shops, along with the captions that they just aren't selling.  Unmentioned are the competing products stacked alongside, or the fact that the product is stacked in the store's enterance, in the aisles, etcetera, completely blocking traffic.  What's being shown there is a shipment unloaded from the truck, prior to being counted, signed for, then stocked.  But, the fellow who has his head full of rumors doesn't see it that way.  He just sees confirmation of the latest gossip, snaps it with his cell phone camera, and uploads it to his favorite video game message board, or wherever, thus perpetuating the rumor.

That's exactly the point. When there is a difference between rumor and statistics, many seem to favor the rumor.

If you want to sow the seed of doubt - so to speak - you may only need to speak negatively of something, and people take it as fact. Actually they take it like religious 'dogma.'

I'm not sure about Wii boxes, but if you've seen the PlayStation 3 (Also known in Europe as the 'evil box of electronics', AKA 'The Evil thing') boxes in stores (yes, the very same type you see in those images) you may notice a small white label on the top which reads something along the line of: "For Display Purposes Only". Yeah, real evidence. Pictures of empty boxes beat market research anyday.

The XBOX 360 was released much earlier, yet the PS3 has sold a third of the units. Taking the difference in release times into account, the PS3 is outselling the XBOX 360, however that's not want many people would want you to hear, or know, apparently.

Off the point a bit, but the Wii is a good machine, but it's barely better than a PS2 with fancy controllers.

I wonder they (Sony) would do better if their logo was solid red with a meaning along the lines of 'power' and with a rissen fist. ;-)

The DS is selling increadably well for a portable at the moment. Well, selling approximately 2.35 times as well as the PSP according to my references and calculations.