Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: XP eating floppies...  (Read 1127 times)

Description:

Offline jjansTopic starter

• Show only replies by jjans
XP eating floppies...
« on: April 17, 2005, 03:11:10 AM »
Is it me, or my imagination, or is anyone else experiencing a noticable a tendancy for XP to kill 1.44MB/880K Floppies during write operations?

My machine eats floppies like I go through pizza (and beer)...

The funny thing, is that I have been able to repair many of these disks using an older Win98 machine, or even the old 880 K floppies with Amiga's MSH or CROSSDOS(ironic or what???).
\\"Most Xenonites fly imports. Unfortunately yours is a domestic model. Don\\\'t be surprised if the gears work in reverse\\" - Volhaul\\\'s Revenge: Close Encounters of the Sludge Kind.

GVP A530, VXL 30/32, Supra 500XP, A590, A1000.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: XP eating floppies...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 05:42:30 AM »
I haven't noticed that, so much as I've noticed that XP prefers to FORMAT the disks, instead of letting me pull files off the disk. For some reason, it thinks the disk is unformatted.

The ironic thing is that the disks are usually formatted on my OTHER XP box.

Weird...
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline nex4060

• Show only replies by nex4060
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 02:37:36 PM »
Bad floppy drive?
\\"Computer games don\\\'t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we\\\'d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.\\"
- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc,1989  :lol:

Offline Anonymous MOS

• Show only replies by Anonymous MOS
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 04:04:36 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a bad floppy drive.   I had the same problem and replaced the drive, and now everything is fine.

Offline starf81

• Show only replies by starf81
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 04:23:48 PM »
In my opinion, the problem is led to the very bad mechanic quality of actual floppy drive.

In the last years I've changed a lot of them with poor success. Just few days ago I've found an old floppy drive that worked very well, recovering ALL disks that previous floppy drives seemed to have burnt, both with Win98 and WinXP (or 2000).

Well... yersteday it has nearly taken fire for a poor contact on the power contact: a disaster! So, now I have to find another good "old" floppy drive...  :-x

Alex
A1000 - A2000 (020/16) - A3000 (060/50) - A500 - A500+ - A600 - A1200 (030/50) - CDTV - CD32

AN AMIGA WEB RESOURCE

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 04:56:59 PM »
I don't think floppy drives arent built as well as they used to be, because companies are trying to phase them out they decide that good quality isn't as important as it used to be when it comes to floppy drives.
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.