Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology and ACube Systems strengthen strategic alliance  (Read 4149 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: A-EON Technology and ACube Systems strengthen strategic alliance
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 27, 2015, 03:05:38 AM »
You guys are really a bunch of pissers.
OK, many of you want some weird continuation of your obsolete hardware.
I get that.
Personally, since legacy capability is easily emulated today, I couldn't care less.

It's amuzing that so many of you want to speak for "most of us".
I don't intend to do that, but I will throw in my two cents.

I LIKE what A-eon and Acube have managed to produce.
And I am throwing my spare change into NG.
Why? Because its forward thinking, as opposed to the bizzare idea of continuing to insist on register level compatible hardware, further development of the 68K processor, and trying to polish that dead turd OS 3.X.
Honestly, I can see mantaining classic hardware for its nostalgia value, but trying to update it at this point?
Sorry, that just seems silly.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2015, 03:28:23 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;789973
Honestly, I can see mantaining classic hardware for its nostalgia value, but trying to update it at this point?
Sorry, that just seems silly.

Well said.  Certainly a valid opinion, as most of them are.  I think the last, best chance for your final point came and went with Natami. :(   My copy of OS 4.1 FE awaits time to play with it under some form of emulation, but I don't have time for the hardware I already own, let alone another system, right now.  My heart will always lie with the classic systems, though, and I'm a sucker for spending any money on those that I can.  When's that Prisma card coming out, again?  Also, I sure would like a nice '060 for my A2000!  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2015, 03:49:58 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;789975
My heart will always lie with the classic systems, though, and I'm a sucker for spending any money on those that I can.  When's that Prisma card coming out, again?  Also, I sure would like a nice '060 for my A2000!  :lol:

Yes, wake me when we get there.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:51:38 AM by QuikSanz »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2015, 03:56:39 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;789975
Well said.  Certainly a valid opinion, as most of them are.  I think the last, best chance for your final point came and went with Natami. :(   My copy of OS 4.1 FE awaits time to play with it under some form of emulation, but I don't have time for the hardware I already own, let alone another system, right now.  My heart will always lie with the classic systems, though, and I'm a sucker for spending any money on those that I can.  When's that Prisma card coming out, again?  Also, I sure would like a nice '060 for my A2000!  :lol:

OK, you might have me on the A2000 (after all, I keep one of those indestructable beasts myself).
And I wouldn't mind a better cpu than the '020 card I have in it.
But I'm not investing money in that.

And no matter how you cut it, legacy Amigas suck at web browsing (which is lately my primary use for a computer).

That said, if it was cheap enough, I'd probably play around with enhanced legacy hardware.
With the stipulation that that was exactly what I was doing, playing.
Its never going to be able to be brought up to even close to competitive with modern hardware.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2015, 04:03:58 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;789977
And no matter how you cut it, legacy Amigas suck at web browsing (which is lately my primary use for a computer).

Funny that you said that.  I just rolled my chair over from browsing on my Amiga to my PC, just a moment ago.  Have been tweaking some of the settings on my IBrowse and was considering posting a thread about it.  I actually didn't even notice today's Google Doodle (for Sally Ride's birthday) until I opened up Google on my Amiga.  I guess 'cause it is a little slower, forced me to actually look at it instead of just typing in my search query and away-I-go.  ;)

I would pay good money for even a minor update to IBrowse.  Yup, I've got SUCKER written all over my face, but I love it.  It's my fun computer, worth every dime to have it here in my office next to all my work machines.  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2015, 04:52:32 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;789978
Funny that you said that.  I just rolled my chair over from browsing on my Amiga to my PC, just a moment ago.  Have been tweaking some of the settings on my IBrowse and was considering posting a thread about it.  I actually didn't even notice today's Google Doodle (for Sally Ride's birthday) until I opened up Google on my Amiga.  I guess 'cause it is a little slower, forced me to actually look at it instead of just typing in my search query and away-I-go.  ;)

I would pay good money for even a minor update to IBrowse.  Yup, I've got SUCKER written all over my face, but I love it.  It's my fun computer, worth every dime to have it here in my office next to all my work machines.  :D

I would also pay good bucks for IBrowse Update... After 4 days, I just got my A1200 1B Mobo back in the case, everything buttoned back in & screwed together. This has been my Internet Miggy for years & sits on my desk in my bedroom - she's what I use each evening. Needed an emergency fix so I ripped the guts out of my old AT-A1200, transplanted the old Indi MKI into her and and I'm happy again. Just made this post from her. I'm Back Baby! LOL.  NOW, I can get back to my beloved A2000...  Yeah!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:57:28 AM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline kolla

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2015, 05:19:46 AM »
Quote from: matthey;789823
I don't know about most but many are happy with UAE.

Indeed, so your statement..

Without cheap low end Amiga hardware, there will be fewer and fewer Amiga users and developers wanting high end hardware similar to what they are familiar with. That's game over for the Amiga.

is bogus, because we all, and many more with us, are keeping Amiga alive on UAE. If cool 68k hardware shows up, it is awesome, but emulation works fine too!
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Iggy

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 05:22:30 AM »
Quote from: gizmo350;789980
I would also pay good bucks for IBrowse Update... After 4 days, I just got my A1200 1B Mobo back in the case, everything buttoned back in & screwed together. This has been my Internet Miggy for years & sits on my desk in my bedroom - she's what I use each evening. Needed an emergency fix so I ripped the guts out of my old AT-A1200, transplanted the old Indi MKI into her and and I'm happy again. Just made this post from her. I'm Back Baby! LOL.  NOW, I can get back to my beloved A2000...  Yeah!

That IS a seriously nicely expanded A2000.

I wish I could get my hands on a few of those pieces (since some of them are pretty rare, like that sound card).

Still, since flash ain't happening (in the Amiga world), I have to stick with Odyssey under MorphOS so that I can at least use HTML5 (funny, if I spoof an iPad I can usually get anything to run).

Offline Plaz

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2015, 01:57:03 PM »
Quote from: kolla;789981
is bogus, because we all, and many more with us, are keeping Amiga alive on UAE. If cool 68k hardware shows up, it is awesome, but emulation works fine too!

UAE is cool and I've even purchased and use Amiga Forever, but I really prefer a native system from a hardware hacker's veiwpoint. Much the same reasons I run linux on it's own platform instead of using something like cygwin. While I concede any serious Amiga "market share" out side of hobby is slim, I'd like to pursue options that might do more than just keep it alive. With so many options out there for developers, pulling in a lot interest for an older hosted OS seems limited.     No harm intended, just my 2c.

Plaz