Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS Milestone: 2000+ licenses sold  (Read 6792 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: MorphOS Milestone: 2000+ licenses sold
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 11, 2013, 12:32:19 AM »
Quote from: smerf;747518

You are correct sir, I tried it, and somewhat like what I see, but face it, $200 for a OS that is still being developed, is about $151 more than Micro soft windows 8.

For that $49 that I spent for Windows 8, there is support for the computer that I am using if needed. I can buy just about any PC I want to use, and best of all there is software development and game development for it, and I don't have to wait 10 years for it to come out. GREAT STUFF.

yes but the point is that by buying a legit copy of MorphOS or AmigaOS4.x or using AROS (since it's already free) your supporting the current Amiga market & that's the main reason why most of us are here after all
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline psxphill

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2013, 12:35:23 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;747519
Yeah Smurf,
But none of my money went into Bill Gates' pocket.
And my iBook was less than $100 on eBay.

You can buy a cheap x86 laptop too. I don't have a problem with Bill Gates, he's a geek and he built a computer business that ruled the word. Steve Jobs on the other hand was just a salesman. Steve Wozniak was the one with integrity and he bailed from apple very early.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2013, 05:08:50 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;747522
yes but the point is that by buying a legit copy of MorphOS or AmigaOS4.x or using AROS (since it's already free) your supporting the current Amiga market & that's the main reason why most of us are here after all

Hi,

You Sir are correct, that is why I keep dropping in here  is  to see what the latest devel's are, I  got my mini mac ready and will probably buy MorphOS once I like what I see, but right now I am investing all my extra cash, which is hard to come by since I retired, to fix a bunch of broken Amiga's that I came across, I have 2 A500's, 2 A3000's, 5 CD32 mother boards, and an Amiga 4000 and a Mac in an apple tree and all this I got  was free.

Hopefully I will be able to resurrect some of them. If  not I will use them for parts,  I already have plans of removing the caps from one of the really bad CD32's for the A4000, which looks like it has a bunch of dried out caps,  the two A500's looks  like bad Gary chips,  I know  for sure one is bad, the other I think is barely hanging in there. Play with it more tommorow.

Anyhow as most of you know Amiga and Apple where really bad  enemies when back in the days that the Amiga first came out. I guess the Apple salesman was right when he told everyone "Which would you trust more, Amiga a new machine with fancy show, or a strong dedicated proven machine like apple which will be  here long after the Amiga is dead and gone. I will never  forget when I heard him tell  a customer that.

anyhow onward and upwards "What will come first,  a new Amiga, AROS, or MorphOS"

Competition is fierce, and MorphOS who I believe is the underdog, may arise through a comeback victory.  

Any one know what happened to DraCo, are they still going?

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 05:12:16 AM »
Quote from: smerf;747542
Any one know what happened to DraCo, are they still going?

http://www.macrosystem.us/
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 05:17:47 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;747519
Yeah Smurf,
But none of my money went into Bill Gates' pocket.
And my iBook was less than $100 on eBay.

BTW - I'm not a big Apple fan either.
But on the used market, their old hardware is cheap and works well.

Hi,

@Iggy,

Do you know what happens when sheet hit the fan, it becomes apples sauce and that is pretty cheap too.

Well Bill Gates supports charity, and donates a lot of bucks to it, so I am pretty happy where my money went, and at  least he didn't lie like some religions did.

You know apple products sound like Obummer, I did this, I ordered that, I gave the order, I approved the plans, I sent the seals I, I, I, I.

By the way Iggy, glad to see you back and well, I classify you as one of my friendly enemies, you always keep me straight.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:20:02 AM by smerf »
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »
@smerf

From Slashdot

http://science.slashdot.org/story/13...ipes-at-google

Quoted from link

"Bill Gates is not the philanthropist he pretends to be. The  Gates  Foundation has an endowment of $30 Billion making it the largest   philanthropic organization in the world.  But one third of that money is   invested in companies whose practices run counter to the foundation’s   supposed charitable goals and social mission. In Niger, the  Foundation  has invested more than $400 million dollars in oil companies  including  Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobil Corp, and Chevron. These firms  have  been responsible for much of the pollution causing respiratory  problems  and other afflictions among the local population. The  Gates Foundation also has investments in sixty-nine of the worst  polluting companies in the US and Canada, including Dow Chemical.

It holds investments in pharmaceutical companies whose drugs cost far   beyond what most patients around the world can afford and the Foundation   often lobbies on behalf of those companies for "Intellectual Property"   protections that make obtaining low cost medicines more difficult.  Other  companies in the Foundation’s portfolio have been accused of  forcing  thousands of people to lose their homes, supporting child labor  and  defrauding and neglecting patients in need of medical care. In the  mean time, Bill Gates' net worth has gone from $50 Billion to $70 Billion over the last 3 years."
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »
I'm no fan of Gates nor some of the practices of his foundation but let's compare him to Jobs.

One of the first things he did when returning to Apple was to cancel all charitable contributions permanently. Even when sitting on the largest cash reserves that any company has had in history.

Classy guy and about as far from the teachings of Buddha (Who he claimed to be a follower of) as one could be.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline psxphill

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;747552
Quoted from link

"Bill Gates is not the philanthropist he pretends to be. The Gates Foundation has an endowment of $30 Billion making it the largest philanthropic organization in the world. But one third of that money is invested in companies whose practices run counter to the foundation’s supposed charitable goals and social mission. In Niger, the Foundation has invested more than $400 million dollars in oil companies including Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobil Corp, and Chevron. These firms have been responsible for much of the pollution causing respiratory problems and other afflictions among the local population. The Gates Foundation also has investments in sixty-nine of the worst polluting companies in the US and Canada, including Dow Chemical.

Whoever wrote that is missing the point. The only way to change what a company does is to buy stock in it. Plus when you buy stocks on the open market the money doesn't go to the company.

It's sloppy journalism.

Quote from: nicholas;747555
Classy guy and about as far from the teachings of Buddha (Who he claimed to be a follower of) as one could be.

He became Buddhist for the girls, they love religion.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;747556
Whoever wrote that is missing the point. The only way to change what a company does is to buy stock in it. Plus when you buy stocks on the open market the money doesn't go to the company.

It's sloppy journalism.

He became Buddhist for the girls, they love religion.

That explains why more women convert to Islam than men then.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline psxphill

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;747557
That explains why more women convert to Islam than men then.

I think the whole stoning to death thing puts a lot of women off.

I don't know how many male muslims buy into the 72 virgins myth.

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
I don't really see how Bill Gates, religion, and stoning of muslims relates to MorphOS breaking the 2000 licenses barrier.

There is a topic of this thread, you know...

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;747555
I'm no fan of Gates nor some of the practices of his foundation but let's compare him to Jobs.

One of the first things he did when returning to Apple was to cancel all charitable contributions permanently. Even when sitting on the largest cash reserves that any company has had in history.

This post was reported as inaccurate. Cite sources please or it's just hearsay.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;747565
This post was reported as inaccurate. Cite sources please or it's just hearsay.

in 1997, when Mr. Jobs returned to Apple, he closed the company’s philanthropic programs. At the time, he said he wanted to restore the company’s profitability. Despite the company’s $14 billion in profits last year and its $76 billion cash pile today, the giving programs have never been reinstated.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/the-mystery-of-steve-jobss-public-giving/

Offline thaddaeus

• Show only replies by thaddaeus
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »
well it finally happened. the power supply on my A1200 tower went out . since 1993 i have had a working A1200 . now i have two A1200s and a cd32 all needing parts. i cant really decide if i should get the A1200 powersupply fixed or get Morph Os for my powerbook G4 ?? if i get Morph i'll also have to get a disc drive adapter that will work with the power book as i have boxes full of amiga discs lol.  still probly cheaper to get the power supply fixed than to go Morph , but additional features with morph like dvd better net ect. i try to live on as little money as possible and i have really gotten my moneys worth with Amiga these past 20 years . i hate to abandon the original hardware but i dont have money to do both repair  powersupply and get morph. it is encouraging to me that morph has passed the 2000 user mark . makes me a bit more willing to put some cash up.