Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final of my Aros 68k distribution  (Read 5459 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

Re: Final of my Aros 68k distribution
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 11, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
I think that Aros 68k is slow is not true (anymore), at least when using it in WinUAE. I tested Hollywood 4.8 in it and as example the "aquarium"-demo was (almost) too fast. Wazp3D, what I use to integrate Warp3D is directly supporting underlying hardware.

What is true that it (or at least was) not optimized for classic hardware, so speed mainly depends on the processor (68060 recommended) and makes no use of Blitter...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:11:59 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »
i dont know about olafs distribution but it cant be nuch slower than aros nightlies im regularly testing on my real amigas here.
the fact is that aros is slow on many operations, in particular wanderer is slow.
the loading of programs might in case of more complex software also cost more time initially while the execution is obviously as fast as ever especially when not much system calls are involved. what concerns gui/mui/zune it isnt exactly fast but about usable.
currently scalos is being integrated, which makes desktop quite much faster, functional and complete. also the bottlenecks will be eventually identified.

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;687992
i dont know about olafs distribution but it cant be nuch slower than aros nightlies im regularly testing on my real amigas here.
the fact is that aros is slow on many operations, in particular wanderer is slow.
the loading of programs might in case of more complex software also cost more time initially while the execution is obviously as fast as ever especially when not much system calls are involved. what concerns gui/mui/zune it isnt exactly fast but about usable.
currently scalos is being integrated, which makes desktop quite much faster, functional and complete. also the bottlenecks will be eventually identified.

I got the information that Scalos 68k now runs with newest nightly builds (I will test that asap). And it is not "slow". On WinUAE I tested Hollywood-Examples and they were very very fast.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »
aros68k on winuae isnt slow at all of course. but it might be considerd that on real hardware, especially when using planar screens. on rtg it makes impression to be about as fast as original os i when it comes to gui operations, but im not much testing that at the moment. what concerns scalos it is close to run well, but still crashes in some situations. it is much faster than wanderer i have to report.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;688008
aros68k on winuae isnt slow at all of course. but it might be considerd that on real hardware, especially when using planar screens. on rtg it makes impression to be about as fast as original os i when it comes to gui operations, but im not much testing that at the moment. what concerns scalos it is close to run well, but still crashes in some situations. it is much faster than wanderer i have to report.
Yeah it seems to be the AROS native graphics.library that is slower than AOS 3.x, which isn't surprising given AROS is really set up for RTG for obvious reasons.

Still, really great to see AROS on proper Amiga hardware though :)

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;687752
BUG: The archive contains the "Executive" Trojan which hacks into the OS and damages it causing various problems and lockups with multitasking programs.

Maybe executive should be optional. Its defentely not a trojan

Executive is fully compatible with all Amiga computers running AmigaOS
     release 2.04 or newer.
     Executive is the highest rated item of shareware CU Amiga magazine
     has ever awarded at 98%. Executive V2.00 got 97% from the same
     magazine, and it was ranked as "the best shareware utility ever."
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »
i wouldnt use executive on aros68k. does it even gives any measurable advantage there or is it supplied just "because we can"?

i would generally discourage using system patches at this point except they are really used on purpose, as apparently it is the case with muforce even though i have not tried it up till now.

aros should and will incorporate expected features itself beyond 3.x compatibility, and there is work done on that. it is important to concentrate on what is included in aros as this can be improved instead of using 3rd party closed source tools as this had to be done on 3.x.

for instance mattheys asm optimized memcopy functions have been committed by toni few days ago. as it is not a common knowledge, someone might get an idea to patch them with less effective ones expecting better performance than original 3.x ones. this is counterproductive.

aros is there exactly to make this wild system patching obsolete, and as happy i am about the likes of powerwindows on 3.x im much more happy thet i dont need them under aros.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;688009
Yeah it seems to be the AROS native graphics.library that is slower than AOS 3.x, which isn't surprising given AROS is really set up for RTG for obvious reasons.

Yes, think the main slowness on classic amiga is that the graphics drivers for non-RTG are not optimized yet and in that case don't make optimal use of blitter etc.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;688057
i wouldnt use executive on aros68k. does it even gives any measurable advantage there or is it supplied just "because we can"?

It most certainly does.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
to be honest i dont even know what kind of scheduler aros is equipped with. if this is round robbin then executive could help to determine what the most efficient and most compatible apporoach be, and this coule be implemented at least as an option.

otherwise i think aros68k is still much too unstable to introduce further possible failure and incomtpatibility sources.

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 11:53:25 PM »
Well, if it's rather slow on anything other than an 060, is it really worth it?
I mean ok, i do appreciate having an alternative and free AOS-compatible OS, but wouldn't it be far better to have support for at least a few of the stock Amiga models? True, an 060 is not as rare as a PPC board, but still we're talking about a very limited user-base. And was UAE actually the target of developing this stuff after all?

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 11:53:58 PM »
Which version of the ROM is included with this distribution ?

It seems latest (april, 10th) version crashes when trying to boot from DOS floppies...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:59:46 PM by warpdesign »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »
Quote from: salax54;688107
Well, if it's rather slow on anything other than an 060, is it really worth it?
I mean ok, i do appreciate having an alternative and free AOS-compatible OS, but wouldn't it be far better to have support for at least a few of the stock Amiga models? True, an 060 is not as rare as a PPC board, but still we're talking about a very limited user-base. And was UAE actually the target of developing this stuff after all?

Aros68k schould Even Run in Stock 68000with some RAM (4mb i think). It is compiled with basic CPU options afair. It is slower than the original aos for various reasons, most of which can be taken care of i suppose. The envisioned audience is the whole 68k user base. Sorry it isnt done just in an instant. I would wish for that myself.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
It would be interesting to see if we could replace OS 3.9 in Amithlon with this and see how it runs, it would go a long way to making Amithlon more 'legal' per se.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
i have just take a short look at scalos under current aros68k nightly. its quite snappy on say 4 planes aga pal hires interlace even with backgrounds turned on. main problem is this case chipmem shortage to keep all the textures in. strangely on rtg (cv64) it is even much more laggy at present...

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 09:41:50 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;688200
Aros68k schould Even Run in Stock 68000with some RAM (4mb i think). It is compiled with basic CPU options afair. It is slower than the original aos for various reasons, most of which can be taken care of i suppose. The envisioned audience is the whole 68k user base. Sorry it isnt done just in an instant. I would wish for that myself.

I'm sorry if it sounded like i'm in a hurry or something; it's just that no one seems to talk much about hardware requirements, and i keep getting the impression that the low-spec machines were left out of the game. As i mentioned earlier, i do appreciate what's done. If the whole 68k user base is the target, then indeed it's the best news i can hear..