Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion Entertainment Developer Blog  (Read 5968 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Hyperion Entertainment Developer Blog
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:30:51 AM »
News from Rogue via amigaworld.net

Hyperion Entertainment has opened up their new Developer Blog to the public. On this blog, we intend to inform you in irregular intervals about news and developments on AmigaOS 4.x and others stuff. We kick off with a sneak peek at the Classic AmigaOS 4.1 with two exclusive screenshots, written by our beta tester Darren Eveland.

Enjoy the blog at http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline mattabat

• Show only replies by mattabat
Re: Hyperion Entertainment Developer Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:54:22 AM »
I have difficulty getting excited about this.
Assuming I can sell my left kidney etc. to get a PPC card for my A1200. What do I get out of AOS4.1 Classic to make it worth my while?
If only it worked with Intel generic architecture..

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:19 AM »
Quote from: mattabat;600274

If only it worked with Intel generic architecture..

What? PPCs are "Intel generic architecture"?

Stoopid!
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline slayer

• Show only replies by slayer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:22:19 AM »
I own two 233mhz 604e cards

I own OS4.x for my 233mhz

I will buy OS4.1.x for my 233mhz

I am looking at getting the 5V 256Meg Radeon graphic card at this very moment
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;600320
What? PPCs are "Intel generic architecture"?

Stoopid!

No it's not, which kind of is OS4's problem...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;600338
No it's not, which kind of is OS4's problem...

Totally unlike that other amiga-derivative OS.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »
Quote from: runequester;600340
Totally unlike that other amiga-derivative OS.

...which indeed shares the "tied to the PPC anchor" faith of OS4, but at least aims to be running on all relevant PPC mainstream HW. Because if there is such a thing as mainstream PPC HW, then it consists of machines like the e-mac, mac mini, power mac and power book...

Ben Hermans and the Frieden brothers on the other hand doesn't think mainstream PPC HW is a small enough market, so they need to narrow the options down even further to systems built in batches of 30 units, costing a magnitude more, while offering less.

That shows the difference in philosophies between the two - MorphOS aims for being runnable on as many platforms as possible, and if there would have been an easy way of making it x86 to run on generic Intel HW they would probably have done it some time ago already, while OS4 wouldn't, because then "it would get pirated" (or such strange arguments)...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:37:20 AM by takemehomegrandma »

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »
Hard time believing much money will be made from 4.1 for classic.

Back when 4.0 was released, NG Amiga was in a state of chaos. No hardware, no future, and then wow,, out of nowhere, the house of Friedenology released an opurtunity to run the magic OS built from the true source of the only OS worthy of the name Amiga - WB3.1- on hardware easy to find (but at a hefty price), it was mindblowing to the extreme.

It was interesting to see what the hype was about, but in the end, once all the excitement was gone, there was little in there pulling me back.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:32 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;600343
because then "it would get pirated" (or such strange arguments)...

I think the argument was:

If it runs on x86 hardware, it would mean the user would want to try another x86 OS, if user try other OS he will leave AmigaOS.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
Quote from: cv643d;600347
I think the argument was:

If it runs on x86 hardware, it would mean the user would want to try another x86 OS, if user try other OS he will leave AmigaOS.

Yeah I've seen that one as well (there are many "arguments" against x86), and that one is even more stupid. It's so stupid it hurts.

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:48 AM »

Yeah... MorphOS runs on MacMini, MacOSX runs on MacMini as well.

And guess what ? People are buying MacMinis only for running MorphOS... Guess having another OS isn't a problem.

What people don't seem to understand is that most people already got another OS (either on the same machine, either on a PC/Mac). So if they wanted to leave the Amiga, they could have done so.

There's no piracy argument: people who want to use the Amiga, will use it no matter what happens (and even if they have to buy an expensive Sam that runs like a 7 years old PC). If OS4 was available on PC/Mac, they would still buy it, since it would be a lot less expensive. And some more people could also do it.

Offline Fairdinkem

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »
...which indeed shares the "tied to the PPC anchor" faith of OS4, but at least aims to be running on all relevant PPC mainstream HW. Because if there is such a thing as mainstream PPC HW, then it consists of machines like the e-mac, mac mini, power mac and power book...

Ben Hermans and the Frieden brothers on the other hand doesn't think mainstream PPC HW is a small enough market, so they need to narrow the options down even further to systems built in batches of 30 units, costing a magnitude more, while offering less.

That shows the difference in philosophies between the two - MorphOS aims for being runnable on as many platforms as possible, and if there would have been an easy way of making it x86 to run on generic Intel HW they would probably have done it some time ago already, while OS4 wouldn't, because then "it would get pirated" (or such strange arguments)...

What a load of rubbish I'm sorry but the fact is if anything is holding MorphOS back from being ported to x86 it would be the same story for AmigaOS. And before you call me an AmigaOS fan boy I would have you no I own a registered copy of MorphOS and I own AmigaOS 4.1.

Seriously a lot of people bash Hyperion for not porting AmigaOS4.1 to x86 but what of the MorphOS developers? Lots of people argue it to be the most polished, best developed Amiga like/inspired OS after all your signature says MorphOS is amiga done right well if it was done right shouldn't it be on x86?

So why don't they CHOOSE to port Morphos/AmigaOS to x86, is it because they want to keep the limited 68k compatibility without relying on emulation via something like UAE? Who knows but if you want Amiga like OS on x86 try using the AmigaOS4 rip off called AROS or try emulation like Amikit or win uae with amigaforever from Cloanto.

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »

;-) ...I somewhat expected this from you...
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
Quote from: cha05e90;600369
;-) ...I somewhat expected this from you...

See http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55440 :lol: Which row do you think he inhabits?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:20:39 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline r06ue1

• Show only replies by r06ue1
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »
I believe if Amiga OS is to have a future it has to be available on x86 hardware.  x86 rules the market place and will people who have never used it take a look at it?  If it is stable, fast and runs their software then heck yeah, people hate Windows for the most part for those reasons and why Linux and MacOS have been growing and Windows has been losing users.  

I am not an x86 guy either; x64 is better but I'll always be a RISC guy at heart.  x86 is simply the ruler of the market place at this time.  If some startup company produced a superior technology (say a Quantum gate processor) with a good OS (like the Amiga OS) and could run users current software, then yes, it could go head to head with the x86 world, but until that day comes, x86 will rule the world.
Amiga 1200, 3.1 OS/ROM, 2 MB RAM, 120 GB hard drive, wireless NIC