Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: sd2iec Firmware - Geos Bounty completed!  (Read 2028 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
sd2iec Firmware - Geos Bounty completed!
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »
Commodore Bounty is proud to announce that the very first bounty has been completed!

The  sd2iec-Geos support Bounty is complete and bounty contributions have  been released. sd2iec-0.10.0 is confirmed to support all (non-cracked  versions) Geos 2.0 64 and 128 D64, D81 and DNP images. Additionally  (non-cracked versions) Wheels 64 and 128 v4.1-4.4 is confirmed working  with D64, D81 and DNP images. These have been tested without SuperCPU  and With SuperCPU turbo enabled.

Please visit the Commodore Bounty Forum for more information and video.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

• Original Omega User
Re: sd2iec Firmware - Geos Bounty completed!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
This was posted in another thread, but I am copying it here in case anyone needs clarification.

Originally Posted by XDelusion
I mean what is this exactly, a GUI that can be run off my SD card on my C64? If so, how do I set it up, not a fake rom, but this, the real deal being discussed here.

• sd2iec is a firmware for many mass storage devices for 8bit Commodore computers which connect to the original IEC (floppy port). Examples are:
      • sd2iec - SD card used as mass storage device
      • uIEC/SD - SD card used as mass storage device
      • uIEC/CF - CF card used as mass storage device
      • uIEC/CF + IDE - May use one or both CF and IDE as mass storage device
    • Geos is an operating system originally sold by Berkely software in the mid-late 80's.
      • Geos had C64 and C128 versions
      • Geos had a GUI and many professional applications
      • Geos reached version 2.0 in the USA, 3.0 in Germany (IIRC)
    • Wheels is an operating system upgrade for Geos 2.0 made by Maurice Randall of Click Here Software in the late 90's
      • Wheels supported almost all 3rd party hardware expansions of it's time, including SuperCPU
      • The latest version is 4.4 (afaik)
    • SuperCPU is a 20Mhz accelerator with C64 and C128 versions
      • Optional SuperRAM card allows up to 16MB of RAM
      • 20Mhz "Turbo" mode may be switched on or off on the fly
    • JiffyDOS is a fast loader and DOS enhancement for Commodore Computers
      • JiffyDOS was created and sold by CMD in the 80's
      • JiffyDOS is now available legally at Brain Innovations
    • Commodore Bounty is a website that allows people to contribute towards bounties for software they would like, which they otherwise would not likely get
      • The sd2iec-Geos bounty was set up in the hope of getting Geos and Wheels running on sd2iec based devices, such as the uIEC
      • The sd2iec-Geos bounty is completed, Geos 2.0 and Wheels now run on sd2iec based devices
    The picture shows Wheels 128 v4.4 running in 80 column mode on a Commodore 128. You access sd2iec based devices such as uIEC the same way you would access normal Commodore floppy drives such as the 1541 with Commodore Basic/DOS commands. For much greater ease and speed, most will use JiffyDOS with these devices. Here are a few JiffyDOS examples.

(mount a D64 disk image)
    @CD:GEOS64.D64

(show a directory of the disk/image)
    {F1 Key}

(load a file)
    /FILENAME

I hope this helps.
[/LIST][/quote]

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 05:55:55 PM »
Pretty slick! Never heard of Wheels until now. I've got the uIEC2SD adapter and always wanted to try GEOS with it. Sounds like you just flash the uIEC device with this new firmware and you're all set, huh? I know I've got a copy of GEOS floating around somewhere, but last I looked - didn't have the original w/ its box and manual. Happen to have 2.0 for C64 for sale Red?

• Original Omega User
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »
@save2600
Geos 2.0 is a legal download from cbmfiles.com but if you want originals with a manual to buy, I probably can find a set in my collection.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;590525
@save2600
Geos 2.0 is a legal download from cbmfiles.com but if you want originals with a manual to buy, I probably can find a set in my collection.

Great, thanks for the link. But yeah, I'd still like an original set if you can muster one up for reasonable :)  

Please PM me if you find a set. I've got a 1750 RAM expansion too sitting here doing nothing. IIRC, Geos 2.0 could probably put that to use.

• Original Omega User
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »
Quote from: save2600;590526
Great, thanks for the link. But yeah, I'd still like an original set if you can muster one up for reasonable :)

Please PM me if you find a set. I've got a 1750 RAM expansion too sitting here doing nothing. IIRC, Geos 2.0 could probably put that to use.

I'll check tonight or tomorrow to see what I have. Geos can indeed make use of a 1750.