Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: /  (Read 2421 times)

Description:

Offline tribz

• Show only replies by tribz
Re: SSD 'Friendly' OS/Filesystem
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 24, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

DonnyEMU wrote:
Be very careful not to try to defrag or REFORMAT these puppies low level. It will KILL the drive according to people I know that have these.. Try adding an 8 GIG SD Memory card and moving the swap file to it, similarly if you were in vista or win 7 you could readyboost the device..

ok, first ... why would you want to low level format it if indeed it is possible?

second, in the case of windows you cant use a removable drive for the PAGE file.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
When I disabled my windows pagefile the whole system got very buggy and slow.

I was no where close to running out of memory.  I have 1 GB and never used more than half of it during my test.

I was forced to turn swapping back on.

XP sux.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 05:37:35 PM »
countzero wrote:

how does one configure an ubuntu for no swap ? disabling the swap partition will do ?

for a one off

sudo swapoff -a

or more permanatly

just comment out the swap partition in the /etc/fstab file
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »

yakumo9275 wrote:

for a one off

sudo swapoff -a

or more permanatly

just comment out the swap partition in the /etc/fstab file

Think carefully about what level of overcommit / how you want the oom killer to behave if using these methods.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 08:43:23 PM »
If the file system is efficient enough (NTFS should be--or will be soon, as Microsoft focuses on SSD performance), you shouldn't need to defragment a file system on SSDs. Random seek time is the same as sequential seek time, so fragmentation in and of itself won't be a problem.

An inefficient file system, however, will have problems regardless. Some file systems may do well working with existing fragmented files but bog down when allocating new files over highly fragemented regions of free space.

Offline mihcael

• Show only replies by mihcael
    • http://brutalamiga.mikendezign.com/
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 10:18:41 PM »
by ChaosLord on 2009/1/25 3:05:16  
When I disabled my windows pagefile the whole system got very buggy and slow.  I was no where close to running out of memory. I have 1 GB and never used more than half of it during my test.  I was forced to turn swapping back on.  XP sux.

I never use a swap file (well its disabled) and have never had problems, except for the odd game that requires that you use one! XP with 4GB

Offline whiteb

• Show only replies by whiteb
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 10:42:29 PM »

motorollin wrote:
Anything which swaps out a lot or otherwise carries out a lot of disk writes will be bad for solid state drives, as flash memory has limited rewrite cycles, beyond which the memory will begin to degrade. I don't know the extent to which this affects SSD, but it is certainly a consideration for Compact Flash.

I dont know, the IBM white paper says that you can write 100GB a day for 5 years without fear of hitting a dead cell on the drive.  I dunno, that was what i read from IBM.
A4000D - CSMKII//128MB/IDE CF/Indivision Scandoubler
A1200
A1000

(And now a Minimig) :>)

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 10:53:50 PM »
Most *NIX systems can be tuned for no or minimal swap, although of course you will have problems when you run out of memory.

Intel was pushing the "turbo memory" flash caches briefly until it turned out they offered no advantages, I believe this suggests that *certain* modern devices can take the wear.

I have yet to really run a flash device to exhaustion (aside from frying them outright in defective hardware :)), but I've determined the following:

Because FAT is the 'worst' type of filesystem for Flash (the FAT is in a fixed location and constantly rewritten), nearly all USB sticks include wear leveling in hardware.

FAT is also the most popular filesystem on CompactFlash but for some reason I hear more people complaining about failed CompactFlash devices.  CF has been around longer, so I'm sure the controllers built into old (e.g. 4MB) cards had no, or more primitive wear leveling, but I'm not sure what the deal with failure rates on newer cards could be.  It could be that certain controllers on certain cards skimp on this feature under the assumption that they will just be used in cameras/for "unimportant" data, but from my experiences, it seems more likely that CF is simply more electrically vulnerable -- something about the interface seems to increase the chances of frying the controller, or at least certain lines into the controller on the card.  Heck, it could also be that the wear leveling is there but lower-quality flash dies capable of withstanding fewer writes are being used in some cards because they're "just for photos."

Perhaps even the cheapest USB devices are able to offer better isolation against ESD or faulty power.

I know very little about SecureDigital, but even with the exposed contacts, I've heard very few complaints about failures and haven't experienced any yet myself.  Though cameras that can be turned off in the middle of writing out a file from their buffers have been responsible for much unpleasant "data corruption" in my use!  No idea about write leveling or that form of longevity.

Netbooks are a sort of special case, because they use some relatively new and unusual devices, and the hardware is somewhat diverse.  If I understand correctly (don't trust me, I haven't been paying much attention), the early Eees paired some Flash on the board with some common Flash-to-PCI or Flash-to-IDE chipset.  Most Atom machines are based around an Intel reference design that either just exposes a PCI(!?) interface to plug in a "SSD" card, or as probably is actually a repurposing of the old Turbo Memory interface (which again, would look like some sort of PCI hardware) and the reviews I've been reading have got it wrong.  In all these cases, you will want to find out what the chips between you and the flash are actually doing before wasting a lot of time trying to outsmart them.

When it comes to those devices, and also the big, $1,000+ SSDs for "enterprisey" applications, it has been observed that performance goes down as the disk fills up and the wear-leveling algorithms have to "work harder" to find where they put your data on a read or decide where to put your write.  Thus, while a conventional defrag will only make things much worse (and cause a lot of useless wear), and trying to low-level format with "conventional" tools (the same utility you used in 1985?) will only cause problems, it's likely these things will benefit from an occasional complete wipe so they can go back to laying down data nearly linearly (subject to the wear map, etc, but not all the other variables that need tracking after years of use).

Intel, SanDisk, etc are putting a lot of work into making that less necessary under "normal" use patterns (which probably assume NTFS, HFS+, and EXT3 these days), but I assume the occasional (every N years, or when you start to notice performance problems) backup followed by issuance of whatever magical ATA command (vendor-specific?) can zero the disk and inform it that no sectors on it are important will bring some of the magic back on an "aging" drive.  

At the same time, you'll want to be monitoring the device via SMART (if it supports it) to determine if it "knows" it has taken too many writes and is about to fail.  But per the above, they've been working on getting the longevity of the flash cells up to the "years of constant rewrites" figure, so don't panic too much.  (I've heard the MTBF on the Intel product is claimed to be 5 years under data-center loads; individual users probably make fewer writes even when swapping.  Linus Torvalds bought in, so see when he starts complaining.)

Right now, titanium-dioxide "memristors" seem like the tech that will give us extraordinarily cheap solid-state storage without the "wear" concerns (and the complicated mechanisms for avoiding same).  They're still a few years away, though, and might be more vulnerable to developing bit errors when being read -- but that's an easier problem to solve than wear leveling techniques (and the associated multiple levels of indirection and thus 'fragmentation') in Flash. :)

Offline LorraineTopic starter

• Show only replies by Lorraine
/
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:45 AM »
/

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 11:28:08 AM »

Lorraine wrote:
Okay that last post went a bit over my head. But I think I got the gist of it! :rtfm:

I have found a page with some Linux SSD info:

-- Link

Never choose to use a journaling file system on the SSD partitions

Wait wouldn't this mean most modern filesystems? Surely not.

That's just bollocks. With journaling off you have no way to verify the integrity of your disk if you have a crash whilst writing data. Unless you don't care about your data leave journaling on.

You can mimimize the journaling, i.e. data=writeback on ext3 but it's still not a good idea unless you have another trusted journal of your data elsewhere (i.e. a some sort of binary/write ahead log in your app).
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »

Lorraine wrote:
Okay that last post went a bit over my head. But I think I got the gist of it! :rtfm:

I have found a page with some Linux SSD info:

-- Link

Never choose to use a journaling file system on the SSD partitions

Wait wouldn't this mean most modern filesystems? Surely not.

Hooboy, I write a "detailed" post and completely forget this issue!

Sadly, lorddef's response is also a bit "bollocks."

Journals were invented to improve filesystem integrity while allowing writes to occur with reduced/minimal blocking (that is, letting them commit asynchronously) on spinning disks.  Well, even that's an oversimplification; journaling really found its niche in systems that had to be able to check and return to integrity rapidly -- there are many related approaches, like the FFS "softupdates" approach roughly equivalent to ext3's data=ordered, which don't use a "journal" but order the data directly into its position in the FS.

A filesystem like ext3 has the following options for its journal:  (credit this quote to whoever wrote Ubuntu's mount(8) manpage)
data=journal / data=ordered / data=writeback
Specifies the journalling  mode  for  file  data.   Metadata  is always  journaled.   To use modes other than ordered on the root file system, pass the mode to the kernel as boot parameter, e.g.
              rootflags=data=journal.

journal
All  data  is  committed  into the journal prior to being                     written into the main file system.

ordered
This is the default mode.  All data is forced directly                     out  to  the main file system prior to its metadata being                     committed to the journal.

writeback
Data ordering is not preserved - data may be written into                     the  main file system after its metadata has been commit‐                     ted to the journal.  This is rumoured to be the  highest-                     throughput  option.   It  guarantees internal file system                     integrity, however it can allow old  data  to  appear  in                     files after a crash and journal recovery.

However, you also have the option to mount the file system as sync, that is, fully synchronized, at the expense of actually having to wait for all writes to complete.  A disk mounted sync should have as much integrity as a journaled one (though thanks to races when power is cut off, and hardware that 'lies' before performing its own write caching, it's still possible to corrupt a filesystem if you're "lucky" enough either way).

For people who wanted a full sync level of integrity, even the type of journal ext3 offers as data=journal had a performance advantage on a spinning disk -- rewriting all data into one linear journal [and then moving that out into the actual FS asynchronously] had less seek expense than constantly moving the disk heads to the next available sectors.  

To some extent, this just amounts to rewriting the same data twice on a SSD.  Flash is still nonlinear (data is blanked and rewritten in certain block sizes) so there might be some mild advantage in performance ... but you do want to avoid *constantly* rewriting a journal as may be permitted on a spinny disk.  Or in other words, if you're rewriting the journal more often than a FAT system rewrites the FAT, you should expect the SSD to fail faster than it would have with FAT.  :-D

Depending on your FS, it might be possible to find the tunables (the infamous-for-being-dangerous if-used-improperly with-mechanical-disks Linux "laptop-mode" might be a shortcut) to change the commit frequency to 30 seconds or more.  This would still be mildly 'abusive,' but probably well within the wear-leveling algorithms of hardware meant to put up with FAT or journaled NTFS.  Remember, if journaling, you need to make sure the actual journal isn't rewritten more often than that, as opposed to any tunables for guarantees to the rest of the filesystem from the journal.  (I'm using ext3 as the common example, but I've never used it on a SSD or felt a need to tinker with any tunables at that level, so YMMV.)

On a laptop, you probably don't want to lose *any* data, including what you were working on in the last 30 seconds before power goes away (battery died?  dropped it?  battery's dead/not present and the power plug falls out?), so if you can eat the performance degradation, it can make sense to mount /home or the equivalent sync.  (Alternatively, I've toyed with the idea of creating a separate /sync and creating some symlinks so I could save anything "worky," like a document in progress, to ~/sync.)

Unfortunately, this also makes the "boring," easily reproducible writes -- like installing software from a package -- take longer, so you probably want /usr to be "less than sync," be it journaled or through whatever other mechanism can keep you from blocking before writes commit.  But you also don't want it to get completely corrupted -- you only want to have to force-reinstall that last package you were playing with, not your whole OS -- so use a mechanism with better guarantees than fully async!

It can get a little ridiculous to make this fine-grained, but for similar reasons, you usually want /boot to be something like a sync mount -- so when you see your new kernel finish copying over, you can be pretty sure that it's made it there -- and /etc is another candidate, because you don't want to lose that last edit to a configuration file if you bump the reset switch rather than shutting down properly.  (Of course, nearly everyone, myself included, will just live with a distribution's defaults for / there on less-than-critical systems.)

On top of all this, note that the presence of a journal does make fsck faster because, if the journal is present, fsck trusts it [and may not inspect the rest of the real FS unless you ask]... if you're mounting sync without a journal, a fsck might take longer because it has no such "this is what was going on right before the power was cut" cheat-sheet, but the FS will be in an equally consistent state.

Confused yet?

---
Edit: And don't forget noatime to avoid the performance degradation and stress on the write-leveling features for making lots of little atime writes everywhere.  Unless you need atime.

Edit #2: Whups, just caught that I'd said "journal=ordered" (nonsense) when I meant "data=journal".  I was trying to refer to the case where *all* data -- both metadata ("these blocks are allocated") and data ("this is what's in each block" -- the full content of the write) is journaled.